AC360 Tuesday 8p

Ferry crew members answered questions about why more life rafts were not deployed. Tonight on AC360, the latest from South Korea on the effort to reach victims.
Save the Children
August 10th, 2011

Save the Children

A deadly combination of failed rains and rising food prices is threatening the lives of over 10 million people, with children always the most vulnerable in a food crisis.

Simon Fuller, Chris Blackwell and the Bob Marley Estate have released the 1973 Bob Marley & The Wailers song 'High Tide or Low Tide' to raise funds for Save The Children and the East Africa Famine. Along with Lucian Grainge and Universal Music, they are donating their proceeds to the cause.

Kevin Macdonald, Award-winning director of Last King of Scotland and Bob Marley documentary, has created a short film with dramatic footage taken from East Africa last week with the 'High Tide' track laid over the top.

Visit http://www.imgonnabeyourfriend.org/ to view this video.

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Elizabeth Lascheid

Mr. Cooper: I want to thank you for getting me out of my chair, onto my computer and giving money to Save The Children. The site provided by you and CNN was so easy to follow. I was able to pick a charity, know I could trust it because it was on your page, and simply click my way to helping to feed some babies. If you ever think what you do does not save lives think of how many of us got out of our chairs because you told us/showed us we needed to care. Your a good man Charlie Brown.

August 18, 2011 at 7:46 am |
  2. andrea

With the devastation and the suffering and the neglect that is occuring in Somalia, has anyone stopped to ask these people why they keep having children under these conditions? I just want to know why. As a parent, how can you keep seeing your child suffer and die over and over and over and over again. I don't get it.

August 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • andrea

And I'm not being insensitive. I honestly and positively want to know why because it's not something I would do. I couldn't bear it. I couldn't bear to purposely bring my child into a sure life of suffering and death. I could not.

August 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  3. Max Skinner

Anderson, Why are you in Somalia, showing Americans their problems ?
    This is a Muslim terrorist nation. Let the Muslim nations and the nations of Africa take care Somalia.
    You should be in the US showing issues here that need to be addressed.

August 11, 2011 at 10:05 am |
  4. El

Hello
    I would like to help Somali kids, how can I donate a little bit?

August 11, 2011 at 2:41 am |
  5. Martina

What a tragedy. Sadly, nothing has changed. If anything, the poverty has gotten obviously worse.

Celebrities talking does nothing that is helping those that need help STAT!! Cd's, telethons, twittering asking for donations from people in the U.S. is futile. There are so many people in the U.S. that are barely making it as it is.

If I had a million or more to spare, I would find out what is needed the most and get to Ethiopia and the people who will distribute those supplies out to those in need that is surely a horrific and preventable tragedy. One of many in Africa and around the world.

August 11, 2011 at 12:56 am |
  6. asho

thank u so much iwas cring the last 3 nites cause of those children iam somali born american and so proud of u cause icant go there becuse of those idiots but iam so happy to see u there and i pray for u be save where ever u are tahnk u so much icant thank u enough.

August 10, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
  7. orlando cook

Anderson Copper keep up the good work you report on issues that matter .

August 10, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
  8. Neil

I hate the fact we only focus on international aid. What about the children in Detroit, New york, and other major cities in the US that are starving. Wait a minute, we don't care. Actually, we just had a republican congress try to cut all there aid off, Just another of messing up the american people. Besides how to you give food or money when you have to buy medications and food for your parents

August 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  9. Libby

This is a terribly disturbing and so sad situation ...without taking away from this I only ask the question, why do we not go to this extreme for our own children here in our own country, in our own states, in our own cities, in our own towns, and our rural communities.....we have children here every day and night in danger, in hunger, neglected, and in terrible states being overlooked. Why do they not appear on cnn "keeping them honest"....we should be paying attention to our own backyard...and frontyard before we go out putting our money in other people's /countries yards!!!! What is going on these days! What about our future ....neglecting our little ones who go without everyday will one day have a detrimental consequences to our countries future. And by the way...what is our Congress doing on a vacation? No company would allow that to happen if the company was in crisis....especially a crisis as our country is in! We need to be cleaning up our own yard front and back and then protecting it!

August 10, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Bob and Liz (canadians)

Addressed to Anderson Cooper please,
    It is difficult to watch the tragedy unfold there and still eat a meal here. I do believe even in these very tough times, good people would give. I would like to suggest if I may that an assurance from Anderson as to the most efficient group to donate cash through that will get the aid there the quickest with the LEAST dillution via administration costs would set a lot of minds at ease. We are all so aware with recent headlines that many "charities" absorb so much in overhead and administration that people are way more hesitant to give, even to such an obviously needy cause. He has such credibility that a word will go a long way, we do believe.

August 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  11. Jackie Carter

This should not be happening anywhere in this world of ours today. Reminds me of what my Irish ancestors must had went thru In Ireland, the Great Famine was a period of mass starvation, disease and emigration between 1845 and 1852, but this is 2011, these people can't flee to America and other countries,,,,,, they are to sick and they are dying,

August 10, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
  12. Caren Gibbons

There are so many, many entertainers and athletes who are millionaires. It is going to take millions and millions of dollars to save this nation. What a wonderful thing for these entertainers to begin this movement. Please, please help. We cannot let this continue.

August 10, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  13. samar

Where are the Arab countries? why aren't they helping?
    For the folks in the U.S, try skipping starbucks and donating the money to save a life.

August 10, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
  14. Rekha*R

It is amazing to see the silent tolerance of the suffering. There don't seem to be any protestors from the victims' side, or at least I didn't hear it from any of you reporters. There seems to be a natural sense of organization, waiting for whatever comes to them. Death being much a part of their lives, either through famine or exploitation, there is so much acceptance seen on their faces. One day I hope to help such victims, being in their physical presence. I hope I can do that.

August 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  15. Kim

my heart breaks for these innocent children who are dying at this very moment that I'm writing this. Will it ever get better for these people? Is there a light somewhere amongst so much death? Noone deserves to suffer this way. I'm praying that people around the world will step up and help. May God have mercy on these men, woman and precious children.

August 10, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  16. Carol

My one pair of glasses cost $125 and they automatically get dark when it is sunny out. How many pairs of fancy tinted glasses does Bono own? How much does each pair cost? How many children could be fed if Bono wore glasses like mine?

August 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm |