AC360 Thursday 8p

Are crews preparing to move to "Plan B" in the search for Flight 370? The latest tonight live on AC360.
June 7th, 2011

The RidicuList: Texting at the movies

Editor's note: Anderson Cooper adds people who talk and text in movie theaters to AC360's RidicuList.

Related: 'Cell Phone Lady' added to The RidicuList

More on the Alamo Drafthouse Blog: She texted. We kicked her out.

1. Chad

As an Austinite, I concur with the other commenters. I have actually NEVER seen anyone kicked out of the Alamo Drafthouse, mostly because most of the patrons are respectful of the rules. They are clearly marked.. everywhere.. and of course the PSA prior to the show is not subtle. I never go to any other theater anymore...

June 8, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  2. Nick

Thanks for giving this some press! As a longtime patron and fan of the Drafthouse, I can say that I very seldom see movies in other theaters for just this reason. The generally relaxed atmosphere and this no talking/texting policy make me recommend Alamo Drafthouse to everybody I know passing through Austin.

June 8, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  3. Cathy Thomas

Well, you made everyone in Ausitn and former Austinites like me totally happy:) And, as a university teacher of a large group class (100 or so at a time), I have basically the same rules in my classroom. I have been collecting movie theater PSAs to share with students. Sadly, as much as I would like to, doubt I can use this one...

June 8, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  4. Kristy Duff Wallace

OMG...I love this segment so much. Anderson, you doll, you. Thanks for covering this hilarious happening in my city. We were already having the best time sharing this on facebook, but then to see your take is just fabulous! I'm thrilled this made it all over our Magnited States of 'merica. Please note: Most Austinites are the way The Draft House folks are, NOT the other way around. Which is why I love my home town!!! Thanks again. Great show tonight! Sincerely, Kristy

June 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  5. Sven, KY

Thank you so much for bringing up the problem of texting/calling in movie theaters!
    People are so rude and disturbing that I stopped going to theaters. I am a film buff, though.
    It’s not the cell phone, it’s people’s behavior. Americans need a cell phone code.

June 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  6. Craig

I live in Austin and go to The Alamo Drafthouse theaters as often as possible. Last weekend it wasn't possible, because my movie was sold out at Alamo Drafthouse (which is often the case) so I went to another theater. Someone was texting 2 rows in front of me for the first 10 minutes of the movie with a gigantic bright white screen, and about half way through someones toddler started running back and forth across the theater screaming, at the R-rated movie. I should have just waited for another showtime at Alamo Drafthouse!

June 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  7. Anssuya, Singapore

Although I am addicted to my phone and updates, the least I can do to respect other people is to not switch on my phone during a movie; it is irritating to see one flash light when you are concentrating on the screen...:p love this ridiculists part everyday and this one just made me love it more

June 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  8. Charles Soto

MAGNITED STATES! MSA! MSA! MSA!

June 8, 2011 at 8:29 am |
  9. K.S. Randall

One hand I understand the upset and the concern. There have been times when I've claimed that I'm hearing impaired so I can borrow the theater headphones in order to watch a movie. Here's a good suggestion for all U.S. movie theaters: Have headphone jacks available so I can plug in my noise canceling, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headset. The famous Bose company makes noise canceling headsets too! When i only want to watch the movie at home and not hear anyone else, I employ a NOISE CANCELING HEADSET. When I don't want to hear the chatter of people one the public bus or light rail commuter train, I put on my NOISE CANCELING HEADSET. It's as simple as that, folks.

Now onto the good stuff: Anderson, humiliating individuals on national TV is never okay. I don't care if you live in Texas, Washington State, or any other place in the U.S. This news report is only worthy of being in a high school newspaper or better yet, a grade schooler recess gossip sessions. For us 18-and-older folks, this report isn't funny and similar reports aren't funny either. There are technological alternatives for these problems.

It's the 21st Century, America, USE TECHNOLOGY TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM SUCH AS THOSE NOISE CANCELING HEADSETS I'VE MENTIONED.

June 8, 2011 at 4:55 am |
  10. anita wray white

This is one reason why I love to rent movies!People can be thoughtless on cell phones+ just being loud in general!At the opening of Pirates at midnight it was really loud like the pirates were well represented-yes they were dressed like pirates too! I must have missed the memo!Arghhhh!

June 8, 2011 at 4:43 am |
  11. Carrie

I am so with you on this Anderson! This is why I don't go to as many movies as I used to. I always get stuck behind someone who is texting or constantly checking their e-mail or whatever. The bright light is so annoying and distracting. I wish more theaters would take this stance. I personally think that cell phones should be banned at theaters. The American people survived for centuries without cell phones and if you can't go a measly two hours without checking your Facebook or e-mail, then you have no life! Our theaters always have a message telling you to put your phone on silent but they don't say to not text, which they should stress even more. This might be why ticket sales have gone down in my opinion.

June 8, 2011 at 2:14 am |
  12. pm

Good for this theater owner. I wish there were more like that around. Apparently there are too many people that are not aware that it is not actually a right as an American to do anything at all, any time, anywhere in public. That's why there are laws against public nudity, excessive noise, creating a public nusiance, loitering...and the list goes on. Not talking or texting in a movie theater during a movie should be common courtesy. There is no reason at all not to step out into the lobby or hallway outside the theater doors if some urgent call or text really must be sent.

June 8, 2011 at 1:51 am |
  13. FernnandoW

I love the Alamo Draft House!

June 8, 2011 at 1:48 am |
  14. JBeks

Man, I love the Alamo.

I go there for every film I watch, and every movie there starts off with a 2-3 min humorous PSA on no talking/texting, usually involving celebrities, so, there is NO way she didn't know.

Mr. Cooper, I think YOU should pledge your devotion to the Alamo and do their next PSA.

June 8, 2011 at 1:48 am |
  15. Janet Villarreal

THANK YOU! That's why I LOOOOOOVE the Alamo Drafthouse in San Antonio! I like being able to watch the movie and not be annoyed by jerks being obnoxious! Thanks for shining the light on this little Lone Star gem, AC!

June 8, 2011 at 12:46 am |