May 26th, 2011

AC361: 'It's always shocking'

Editor's note: Anderson Cooper reflects on covering tornado-ravaged Joplin, Missouri, and offers a glimpse into his reporting process.

More AC361°: Tense moments behind the camera as sirens sounded

Filed under: AC361°
  1. Heather - Spokane, WA

Hope you have good people who are willing to listen when you need to talk. You have to go through some pretty traumatic things and it's good to talk about them, it helps you heal

May 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  2. Karen Gavitt

Anderson, I am a real fan of yours...but....the, officials, federal,state, and local as well as all the volunteers are doing an outstanding job. the critcisms of not doing enough, or making mistakes or loosing their cool at times can be expected..My God...it took 3 days and people were found, identified, and businesses reopened or re located, The small errors were fixed or worked around within 4 days. Joplinites are a get it done people. Sure you are frustrated when you are in mourning or missing loved ones, the world seems to be in slow motion and screwd up. Compared to some other disasters, Missouriians got it together pretty darn fast if you ask me. Seems like a couple of years back, when Katrina hit, took two weeks to even get water and food to everyone. and rebuilding is still in progress, in slow motion.
    tell wolf to quit being so hateful.

May 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  3. Rosemary

The primary reason it's so quiet after a violent tornado is that all the birds are gone. Their habitat is gone. No trees to perch in anymore. I experienced this after my town was hit in 1996. It's more eerie than walking through a graveyard at night.

May 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  4. Jennifer - Michigan

This video is very interesting giving a little insight to what it takes to do your job. Interviewing, assembling, and finally reporting – It sure seems like a lot of not only physical but also emotional work. It seems to me that you'd have to really see their pain through their eyes to get the story right. On the positive side, it must feel good to meet and talk to some of those wonderful people out there. Pros and cons to everything I guess.

May 27, 2011 at 8:22 am |
  5. Puskar Bura

As a person you are very compassionate Anderson..You've got what it takes..the affection towards people, the respect, the passion to share their stories with the world..you are outstanding Andeson...way to go!

May 27, 2011 at 1:42 am |
  6. Rebecca from Anchorage

You are amazing, Anderson. The amount of grief you have witnessed whether it is Joplin or Japan, or any other disaster you have covered, has to take its toil on you and your crew. I identified so much with Will Norton's family, I don't know why, but I did and several other families, and have joined them on Facebook to offer compassion. I cannot imagine their state of mind, and what they will have to go through in the coming days. I don't know why anyone has to experience these catastrophic events, and watching these tragedies and sharing support with the families on Facebook allows me to feel I am somehow sharing the grief with those affected, and I know others consider it a blessing to offer support, prayers and whatever else we can. I have donated to several charities assisting in Joplin and pray it helps a little. Bless you Anderson. You are truly one in a million!

May 27, 2011 at 1:39 am |