Evening Buzz: Debunking Trump's 'Birther' Claims
April 26th, 2011

Evening Buzz: Debunking Trump's 'Birther' Claims

Tonight on AC360 °, more of our investigation into President Obama's birth and conspiracy theories surrounding it.

You'll hear from Donald Trump who believes the president was not born in this country and even believes his original birth certificate is missing.

It's tough talk from Trump with no facts. We can say that because we sent a team to Hawaii to find the facts. Our team spent five days interviewing dozens of people, including the former director of Hawaii's Department of Health, a Republican, who actually looked at Barack Obama's original 1961 birth certificate in storage.

Tonight you'll hear from a professor at the University of Hawaii who taught President Obama's mother. The current governor of Hawaii is also speaking out and others.

We'll also look at why President Obama isn't releasing his original birth certificate to the public to stop all this speculation. It's all tied to Raw Politics.

Do you think the president should release his original birth certificate? Share your thoughts below.

Also tonight, the crackdown in Syria. There was more gunfire today and there were more troops in the streets of Darra. There's talk of possible sanctions.

"The brutal violence being used by the government of Syria against its own people is abhorrent, and deplorable, and the U.S. condemns it in the strongest terms," said Susan Rice, U.S. Ambassador to the U.N.

"The outrageous use of violence to quell protests must come to an end, and now," she added.

But observers believe Syria is determined to crush the civil unrest. Human rights groups estimate more than 400 people have been killed since the protests began last month. CNN cannot independently confirm that number, because the Syrian government has not granted us access to the country.

Demonstrators want regime reform. They're unhappy with President Bashar al-Assad's government.

On state-run television, the regime calls the protesters "armed criminal groups" and said government soldiers are working to stop them.

We'll also have a live report from London where the countdown is on to Friday's royal wedding. Tonight we'll look at the influence Princess Diana had on her son, the groom, Prince William. He was just 15 years old when she was killed in a car crash in Paris in 1997.

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET on CNN.

Post by:
Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Ulysses

I don't think Obama wants to yield to people who are trying to strong-arm him into doing something that he has the legal right not to do. How many of you would show your medical records just because the public wants to know. There is no difference; the President still has rights too.

April 27, 2011 at 12:11 am |
  2. denise

President Obama is just that "President Obama" he can say if he wants to show his birth certificate or not. When a "Bully" like Trump comes along thinks he could run the country differently and plays the race card and" Demands "the president to show his birth certificate, hes is playing into the hands of all the other "nutters" like him out there who HATE the fact that America has An African American president.
    By the way Mr gold digger, oh sorry! Trump where were you born? You went to Scotland, bought up lots of land and called everyone "greedy "who did not sell up to you. Real class guy.
    I am sure yourself and "mark Zuckerman" will be on the same ticket as you both think you are better than Obama. And made a fool of yourselves when trying to mock him.
    Neither of you is good enough to tie his laces.

April 27, 2011 at 12:07 am |
  3. Chi

I'm tired of people like Donald Trump questioning the birthplace of the President. 44 presidents, why this one? It's been proved again & again that he was born on US soil but you won't let it go. What is it going to take? If you're seriously considering running as a candidate, you might want to put more of your focus on more serious & relevant issues to help your campaign, because if President Obama's place of birth is your only "Trump card" (pun intended), forget the race. You've lost already.

April 27, 2011 at 12:01 am |
  4. Mike P

It sickens me that a man who cannot make money with a casino is allowed to slander and debase the President as well as insult my intelligence.

Whatever that thing on his head is, Trump needs to take a DNA test to prove he's actually a member of homo sapiens. I don't think he can, because the critter that lives on his head is from far far away, and then his disguise will be blown.

Gosh, wasn't his 15 million minutes of fame up before this latest throw-up?

April 26, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
  5. misa

What I find interesting is the REACTION the media has to birthers. Why is the media so touchy? What nerve have the birthers hit? I didn't even notice the issue until recently.

April 26, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  6. Southern Belle

Donald Trump is laughing all the way to the bank. He is promoting his TV show, hotels, books and he even has his wife foreign born wife working selling products on TV. Today is 4/26/11 mark my words he will not run for president. He does not even know the laws of this country. He recently put people that are working for him on the spot and asked if they would support and vote for him for persident. Does he know what harrassment is? He's probably being paid the the person whom he will support for president to do what they truly want to do. Anyone who has an ounce of intellegence knows this man is spewing a bunch of garbage with racial undertones. This man barely votes but he cares about this country and his own community. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

April 26, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  7. partysmart

Go Donald!!! Anderson we could tell by the look on your face you were absorbing the information and wondering why the president would not just release the document! This is not about race or religion – this is about the truth. Our President has told us a lot of things that have not come to fruition.

April 26, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
  8. James

Hey DONALD you're doing a great job creating a distraction from other issues to bring attention to your own agenda. The republican TEA party was on a roll until you decided to open your big mouth. CNN, MSNBC and FIXED news need to continue to put this IDIOT on TV every chance they get! I think the Don has been hanging with Charlie Sheen, both of these losers think they're WINNING.......

April 26, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  9. Kay

Donald Trump is now showing that he may be the biggest idiot of all time and maybe not really very smart.
    His answers(?) were like any other persons who does not know what they are talking about. You cannot unmask
    the fake at this time because he will continue to evade any question which will expose his lack of knowledge.
    Why should the President of the this country bow to the request of an idiot?

April 26, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  10. Lisa

I can't believe that Obama's birth certificate verification is still an issue. In the State of Virginia the Certificate of Vital Record includes the line CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH. No where within the document does it say Birth Certificate. So, according to Trump and other nay sayers, no one in Virginia would be considered born here either. Also, the signature of the person who is Acting State Registrar is imprinted within the copy of the certificate. There is no actual signiture, and lets face it, would that person spend all day signing certificates??? Let's be real. Proof of birth in this country is provided before running for president. Obviously, Obama has the legal proof and right to do so. These birthers are nothing but, racists who can't stand having a biracial president. They should move on and talk about real issues.

April 26, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  11. Jack

Should be quite the moment when Joe Biden's classic line about Giuliani is applied to Trump: a noun, a verb and BIRTHER!!!

April 26, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  12. William_Wallace

Obama should just show his bc, it's very strange that he won't but wish he would. I also think the constitutional argument that natural born really meant both parents were Americans not geographical birth is a legitimate constitutional question. Like the meaning about the law of nature.
    I'm also very offended at other posters that say this is racist just because people question this president. Makes me think we haven't come very far in this country, I was happy to finally have an African American president but the fact if you disagree with his policy or question anything he does you get the race card in your face, is three steps back after taking one giant big one forward two years ago.

April 26, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  13. Karri

I could be wrong but I think it looks like Donald Trump is acting like a spoiled little boy who isn't getting his way. He keeps interrupting Anderson Cooper who is being a gentleman. The way I look at it, Donald Trump is simply angry because for once in his life, he cannot look at someone and say, "You're fired!!" There, I feel much better now. lol Keep up the incredible work you are doing Anderson. You are awesome!!

April 26, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
  14. HELEN

Trump should only listen to what hes saying. I believe he is doing this for publicity. I hope he does run for President. Because he will surely be defeated. He has a God complex, to bad his brain isn't as big as his Ego.

April 26, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
  15. Angie

As of 2006[update], United States Federal law () defines ten categories of person who are United States citizens from birth. According to that law, the following acquire citizenship at birth:

* "a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof"
    * "a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe" (see Indian Citizenship Act of 1924).
    * "a person of unknown parentage found in the United States while under the age of five years, until shown, prior to his attaining the age of twenty-one years, not to have been born in the United States"
    * "a person born in an outlying possession of the United States of parents one of whom is a citizen of the United States who has been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a continuous period of one year at any time prior to the birth of such person"
    Why are we arguing about this when his mother was a citizen? What am I missing? We are arguing a mute point!

April 26, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  16. Mike

Donald Trump is a first class idiot! He's questioning about the date the certificate was published two weeks later, oh yeah Donald some one in Kenya said hey this baby is going to be president so we need to place an ad in a US paper. TRUMP GET A LIFE>>>YOU'RE FIRED!!!

April 26, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  17. Tamara

I am of the opinion that Donald Trump is an opportunist, who is purposefully benefitting from a idea born of racism. He is purposefully participating and feeding this infraction against the nation and its ideaology. I wonder if a white person would be challenged for this info. Will all Hawians who have the same document loose their right of citizenship.

Trump is benefitting from racism. I call him racist.

April 26, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  18. Dan

I just noticed that my 'birth certificate' is actually a 'certificate of live birth.' It has, however, been good for getting me a drivers license and passport.

April 26, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
  19. Grace

Hi,
    Am Grace, i appreciate what CNN is doing u guys.
    About the BIRTHER CERTIFICATE.
    I want to put it to DONALD TRUMP– IS HE TRYING TO TELL THE VIEWERS THAT THE PEOPLE WHO SET PANELS AND INTERVIEW B4 OBAMA WENT AS PRESIDENT– IS HE CALLING THEM A FOOL THAT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING, THAT HE IS THE ONLY RIGHT PERSON IN AMERICA, THIS MAN IS DOING THIS FOR HIS OWN SELFFISH INTEREST, BEC. HE WANT TO GO FOR 2TERM THAT IS NOT THE WAY, WE ARE NOT INTERESTED.
    Thanks.

Kelgracy.

April 26, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  20. Von

The same live birth certificate that Trump claim is false well in Michigan has the same I had my long form that has all the documentation on it to get a passport and they wouldn't honor it so i had to send for the computer form. And the next thing is I'm so tired of people saying race is not a issued and it and it will never go away. this President has been put down in ways I never seen as a leader of the united states. he does have to release anything to prove to anyone .
    The next thing will be you going to ask all african Americans to prove there citizenship.... Can you go back and make all ex presidents show ther birth records and all future presidents to come... So if he don't get elected and a white man get elected lets see how you all handle that situation.....Its just remind me in class in junior high how they taught black history how thing was back in 1600's till today nothing has change............

April 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  21. kk

My daughter in law had to provide her birth certificate to get into college. My son had to provide his birth certificate to get a passport. My husband had to provide his birth certificate and our marriage license to get his retirement. Why should this be any different? I am sure he has a birth certificate because he went to college and has a passport.....maybe we could convince him to go on retirement and LEAVE the whitehouse before he completely kills our country!

April 26, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • Jack

Dear KK, let's look at this from another perspective: How about you provide me with a copy of your birth certificate, because I don't know you at all, I have never seen you, and none of my friends know you at all. Makes me think you're hiding something. Did you see Bush's birth certificate? Clinton's? what's the difference? I wonder if your daughter-in-law's employer actually broke privacy laws. Did she ever ask why it was required? Sincerely, Jack – Calgary, Alberta.

April 26, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
  22. Dominic

As a Brit ling in North America watching this argument it is clearly rascist the bottom line is that a lot of peoples head litrelly exploded at the point of realising a black man was to become the president this birther debate smacks of the Nazi Lebensborn program of proving your Aryan roots – i thought only in America you can become anything you want even the Queen has German lineage but we dont insult her – she is the queen and the likes of Trump should respect the president – after all the first five presidents were all born in England! – if there was a chance that GWB could have used the secret service to investigate Obamas birth dont you think he would have done so?

Trump is just the Ross Perot of this decade i certainly if i had money to invest would want to place it with someone that does not run a reality show – stick to what your good at and leave the business of politics to the people that actually earned it – thats why i shut my business in Canada to watch the inaugeration – to the rest of the world it was the change we all hoped and dreamed of.

April 26, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Marie Yves

Why all this talk about the birth cerificate. Even if Obama did refuse to release his original birth certificate, there are many other ways to check if he was born in the U.S. Like we know his birthdate, why don't they check the travel dates for his mom if she was out of country around the time he was born.

April 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Elinor Munn

I am sick and tired of the "birther" issue and equally fed up with the media, including CNN, acting as though they must respond to and/or report on this irrational conduct. Aside from boring me beyond words, tell me what is learned or gained from the coverage? Is there racism involved? Yes, and any one who has lived around that kind of thinking knows it. As for the sheer nuttiness of it, if you are a New Yorker, you expect this of Trump, but I don't expect CNN to consider it worthy of any air time.

April 26, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  25. bastian

Donald Trump just loves to be in the media, promoting his Trump (glitzy) brand. CNN did an outstanding job investigating these accusation. Anderson Cooper made all the facts know. Trump is promotion Trump, a distraction to the issues at hand. Trump will continue to move to goal post to something else. Now Trumps questions his Columbia / Harvard.
    He is not running for President he wants ratings for the Apprentice. His EGO is going to be Trumps downfall.

April 26, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  26. gabriela nodhal

I don't understand what Trump is talking about!!! Everyone that I know has a certificate of live birth,I was born and raised in the state of CA,and I have always presented a certificate of live birth even to travel with,what is his point?? Is it because President Obama is educated AND black. I think Trump suffers from minority syndrome! :-)

April 26, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Joe Horn

It would be the fastest way to end all of this, but this President doesn't release anything and you guys in the press give him a pass. What is so bad on this document that they don't want to release it?

April 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Stacy

I have always had an enormous amount of respect for you Anderson and your ability to call it like it is. However, I have been so disappointed in how you have let a lunatic like Donald Trump bully you. This is such a blatant case of racism it disgusts me. If he were white and Irish, no one would be questioning his citizenship.

April 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  29. aliousalam

I can't believe with the economic problems we have, we are still out there discussing futilities. Obama was born, like any of us, including trump. He didn't give birth to himself. Where he was born? it's on his birth Certificate, like anyone of us have.

His mother and fathers are dead. His grand parents are dead. where do we want to get the answer to this birther thing when all those first hand tellers of the story are dead? those who are asking the questions simply are playing diversion and seeking attention. Let's move on to another war. At least, if we can' t save this country, let's mess up some others. At least it gives jobs to US contractors and mercenaries .

April 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Rongrant

Anderson, please stop pandering 'the donald", you and the rest of the press are just playing into his hands. The best way to stop him, is to quit giving him air time. I'm DVRing your show until this is over and then fast forwarding thru the offensive part (Donald Trump).

April 26, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  31. paula

why even bother trying to have a conversation with trump – he only wants to hear his own voice. he needs to just go away. the only reason trump won't let this go is because it is free publicity for him – stop giving it to him.

April 26, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Sanjaya

There is no logic with such claimers. Now this seems a complete insult to all Hawaii bron US citizen.

My kid was born in Honolulu, 2002 and was issued exactly similar certificate. On the basis of that certificate US passport has been issued. The certificate has been enough to prove US citizenship.

April 26, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Doug

DONALD TRUMP...GO AWAY!!! Doesn't anyone get that he is just playing up for media attention? Does he really think he has a chance at the presidency? And who in their right mind would vote for him? Just give it a rest for pete's sake. I'm so sick to death of hearing about this issue. Of course Obama was born in the US, the fact that he doesn't want to release the damn birth certificate doesn't mean there's anything on it that is incriminating, destructive or anti-
    American; it's the damn principle of the matter, it's a private document and it can remain private. Isn't enough of his private life in the public eye? I don't blame him, I wouldn't be surprised if he's just doing it to spite the "Birthers". I know I would! If the state of Hawaii has issued the appropriate documents, then that's all that matters! Move on to something that is actually news worthy!

April 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  34. William

Trump is either ignorant or dishonest or both. What's sad is, the joke is really on the undereducated, ignorant citizens in this country who buy into this nonsense. Trump is playing to the racist, the ignorant and the outright loony who just can't come to except the fact that Barack Obama, who happens to be a African American is President of the United States.

April 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  35. aliousalam

why didn't we ask for Bush's BC? I wonder how we have come to tolerate this type of racist attitude.

April 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  36. John Cohen

Donald Trump is a fictional character, who believes that he sits on top of some sort of empire and that his has an army of followers. The truth be told is that he is a small man who pretends that he knows what he is doing by playing with other people’s money and he is very good at losing it. Forget the fact that he has your attention diverted to the Presidents Birth Certificate or that somehow the president was not smart enough to have gone to Harvard, this is all smoke and mirrors. Donald Trump does not want you to see the real truth, he is full of crap. He is merely a side show without a shred of credibility to his name. Why do even care what this guy thinks.

April 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • Jacqueline

I agree with you on this, but also Donald Trump feels like he has all this money and no one can touchhim.He is a very aggorant man it just remind me of how they done jesus when he came with the truth the so call religions people did not want to accept this and his life was taken. So when this black man became Presdient the demons in hell tremble. WONDER WHY?? Cnn please do not waste your air time on this aggroant so call rich man who has went .so low as to totally disrespect his self as well as his Presdent also

April 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  37. teresa, ohio

We have heard from many people who "know" Pres. Obama was born in the US... but we havent seen his birth certificate.
    I, too, have certificates of birth for both of my sons from Ohio. But I also have LEGAL birth certificates for both of them.
    they are two different documents. Obama's bc should have been FRONT PAGE published to shut us all up. My vote is: HE WAS NOT BORN IN HAWAII, though he does have a certificate of birth, meaning his met the requirements of that state: he is there and he is alive and lives there. I would bet my farm, Obama was NOT born in the US.

April 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • MJ

Well teresa from ohio. You have lost your farm. I also have a certficate of birth. This is what the state of massachusetts gives you when you request a copy of your birth certificate. I was able to use it to get a passport. By your standards, I wasn't BORN in the US either. All birthers are nothing but racists.

April 26, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  38. Mary Anne

Of course he should reveal his birth certificate. If he would, all of this would go away. That's the whole point. If he had revealed it like every other president, this wouldn't even be an issue.

April 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
  39. JOHN

I dont' understand why he hasn't shown it yet. I had to show an original bith certificate just to take online courses, so I don't think it is unreasonable to have to show an original document to hold the highest job in the land.

April 26, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • Deepen

oh and he just won the election in 2008 out of nowhere right? No other president has been scrutinized this much! This is just some racist republican crap.

April 27, 2011 at 12:00 am |
  40. Barry from Pennsylvania

I can't understand why the media (including CNN!) are giving so much air time to a clown like Donald Trump, while ignoring a host of more qualified Republicans who are out there trying to get their message out. While I don't know if I'd vote for them, I'd like to hear what Pawlenty, Daniels and Jindal (among others) have to say about the issues. Shame on you for playing into this publicity hound's hands!!!

April 26, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  41. Steve

Why not show the actual birth certificate and eliminate the flippant distraction. Also, why isn't it a requirement for presidential candidates to provide a birth certificate up front anyway? I had to provide one to get a passport and drivers license, substantially less significant than being commander-in-chief.

April 26, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
    • suz

there is a commission that checks all that out. i'm pretty sure he can not have bribed an entire gov agency.

April 26, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  42. Diane

I'm a republican who strongly believes that he is an american citizen. I don't believe that during the previous Presidential campaign that Hillary Clinton wouldn't have called him out on the issue if she believed that he wasn't born in the US. I am sure she had a team check it out.

Here is an important fact about Donald Trump... He keeps talking because he keeps getting attention. If everyone in the media would turn a shoulder and refuse to talk to him about it, he would go away!! He like attention!!

It's really too bad that with all the issues that truly need a solution, Donald Trump feels this is so important. I have heard very little from him on any other issue that makes sense. He may be a capable business man in the private sector. But that does not mean he would be a reasonably good politician.

As for the president and his birth certificate. Let's just all move on!

April 26, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
  43. Eddy Eruanga

I want president Obama to focus on how to revamp the economy of this country instead of listening to Trump’s garbage. He has come a long way with this country. What he can do now is to find some solutions to lower the gas price and create jobs.

April 26, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
  44. Ed - Sidney, OH

Just an Idea. Take a copy of his "CERTFICATION OF LIVE BIRTH" to welfare or unemployment and if they would accept it. If they do, then it works for me. From what I hear there suppose to be picky (Haveing state seal etc.) about that kind of stuff. If they won't accept it then it's not good enough for me either.........lol

April 26, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  45. Ivan

It takes a man like Donald Trump to make something so irritatingly futile and annoying make headlines in News. Could publicity be his goal? Either way Pres.Obama is the president has made no unpatriotic moves, i cannot believe that so many Americans doubt the validity of already submitted evidence. The Donald is also a statistical failure and liar and has virtually no plans for solutions but talk and questions if people seriously consider him to be president i condemn their preference of a looney over the experienced politicians of the government.

On the issue of Syria i believe hesitance is being made by the supporters of the Libyan Protection resolution from the Arab League because NATO overstepped their supposed agreement and NATO seems to proclaim less satisfaction for another semi-expensive campaign to another state, even so innocents are in danger and it needs to be addressed to the Syrian Government by force if necessary that human-rights abuses will not go unpunished.

April 26, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
  46. Eddy Eruanga

How can American people allow this kind of rumors about president birth certificate linger on for so long. What is Trump's aim and goal? American people are tired of negative campaign. Let Trump tell us how he can run this country and fix the economy. The republicans are the brain behind this nonsense. As Trump is bring the president down, he is also bringing the whole country down with him. The president of the free world president Obama deserve some respect. Enough of the garbage. Let us talk about the economy, health care, and jobs for the people. On the long run president, Obama is the one who will gain from the nagative campaigh against him. Where are the Democrats to fire back?

April 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
  47. therealwayne

Who cares about Obama's documentation that is not the question, the questions is if he was born in the USA. Lets start here: Was he born in a hospital, if so which one and are there hospital records to indicate this. Where in Hawaii did his parents live when he was born, how long did they live there and are there any official records to verify this?

April 26, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
  48. kat

I believe Obama was born in the USA-but don't understand why he won't release his birth certificate-something must be on it that he doesn't want released. Just saying..

April 26, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Christine

I think those that needs his birth cer' should release their own first.Its easier said than done.

April 26, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • Deepen

who the hell cares? He was clearly born here if he made it all the way to be elected President! This country is full of ignorant idiots! I swear!

April 27, 2011 at 12:01 am |