April 25th, 2011

Trump claims Obama birth certificate 'missing'

Editor's note: Tune in to AC360° Tuesday beginning at 10 p.m. ET to see the remainder of Gary Tuchman's investigation into President Barack Obama's birthplace. Tuchman speaks with Hawaii’s Democratic Gov. Neil Abercrombie who says he knew Obama’s parents decades ago. Abercrombie weighs in on the controversy over Obama’s birthplace and explains why he has not released Obama’s birth certificate like he said he would.

(CNN) – Real estate mogul Donald Trump's latest claim about President Obama's birth certificate is that it's missing.

"Well I've been told very recently, Anderson, that the birth certificate is missing," Trump told CNN's Anderson Cooper Monday. "I've been told that it's not there or it doesn't exist. And if that's the case it's a big problem."

When asked from whom he received the information, Trump said he didn't want to say and that he feels bad about the situation.

"I'd love for him to produce his birth certificate so that you can fight one-on-one," Trump said in an interview set to air Monday. "If you look at what he's doing to fuel prices, you can do a great fight one-on-one, you don't need this issue."

CNN's Gary Tuchman also interviewed the former director of the Hawaii Department of Health, who said she has seen the original birth certificate in the vault at the Department of Health.

In 2008, the Obama campaign released an official document called a "certification of live birth" which indicates he was born in Hawaii. This document, which is a computerized abstract of his birth information that the State of Hawaii issues to individuals requesting their birth records, satisfies proof-of-birth requirements for various federal matters, including obtaining a passport. Several news organizations as well as the Annenberg Fact Check Project viewed the document first-hand and verified that it contained the official raised seal as well as a signature stamp of the state registrar.

Trump has made national headlines by questioning the president's birthplace, even saying he has hired investigators in Hawaii to examine the situation. The reality TV star is mulling a bid for the White House and expects to make a final decision at the end of May, after the latest season of "Celebrity Apprentice" concludes.

Updated: 8:28 p.m.

1. Nana Yaw Bonah

I've never thought someone like Donald Trump will be arguing about Barack Obama been born in US I feel very disappointed about him. I'll rather prefer him to say he doesn't want to see a black man like Obama being president of United States. All this is about racism. Donald Trump is just racist and I don't think he's even qualify to be president.He's just energize the republican base..

April 26, 2011 at 1:46 am |
  2. Dburt

Anderson, tell your boy Tuchman that folks who have concerns about Obama's birth place and origins are not all nuts and stupid. I probably have more education, experience and years under my belt then you or Tuckman combined and I am not a nut. You insult me with your reporting- it is biased, overly liberal and self-serving! I plan on contacting as many advertizers on CNN and informing them that I will not support them as long as they advertize on your program. I can see and hear your sneer now- but never dismsiss the power of one Anderson!

April 26, 2011 at 1:41 am |
  3. willard

Im feeling belived that obama make little problems trouble false of his birther certificate in hawaii

April 26, 2011 at 1:34 am |
  4. Donna

Donald Trump sounds like a broken record... can't he find something else to talk about. All I know about the guy as a presidential contender is that he thinks Obama has a fake birth certificate. Give it a break already... he sounds like an old nitty who has a one-track mind! He's already lost my vote. Issues please...

April 26, 2011 at 1:31 am |
  5. Scott Roubaud

I don't get involved in this stuff very often but who wouldent want to on this subject?

If your legal.. SHOW IT!!!
    It only looks like he's hiding somthing by not showing it!
    Donald trump in my eyes is doing a good job at fighting for somthing that I can't make him prove but he has the power to make it a big deal and it should be!!

Go trump.. All this crap about I've seen his certificate blah blah blah.. Well show us!!

April 26, 2011 at 1:29 am |
  6. Peggy

So how can anyone believe Donald Trump on anything. I think maybe we need to have Donald Trump go with CNN and show the proof he has. And by the way I don't have my original birth certificate and I have never moved out of the State and neither did my siblings.

April 26, 2011 at 1:25 am |
  7. Peggy

How in the heck would anyone want to have Donald Trump for president. Donald Trump would have this world in a total mess, because he can't remember what he has said and he would argue over some totally unimportant issues.

April 26, 2011 at 1:22 am |
  8. S Farley

Why doesn't Obama simply produce his original birth certificate and put an end to this? Why doesn't he produce his school records which disclose that he is a US citizen with place of birth information on it? Why doesn't he produce his passport when he traveled to Indonesia which should disclose that he was a US citizen, These should all say that he is a US citizen, end of story? I do not understand why this is a controversey which could be resolved so easily and yet is not resolved.

April 26, 2011 at 1:22 am |
  9. Derrick

Anderson, I understand you points of the President using the short form birth certificate but also agree with Trumps point of the long form. Mainly, if there is nothing to hide and everything put this stupid "controversy" to bed, just show the American public. It is something that to many people in this country have doubts about, so exposing this to the light can only end the controversy.
    Also, why are you taking sides? Should you as a reporter take this on and prove BOTH sides. Get the Actual governement issues long form, apply for the freedom of infomation on this document. If there is nothing to hide, then show everyone on the main CNN page.
    What doesn't make sense is anyone remembering another person was born next to them. I couldn't tell you anyone elses children born when my kids were born. How do these other people say they do. You are telling me that a Nurse or Doctor is going to remember a ONE KID out of the thousands based on his name 40 years ago. BS, there would have been no reason to remember Barack Obama, what would have made them remeber that 1 child?

Now a caucasian child born in Ethiopia, that is someone to remember. Few of us were born on at Kagnew station.

Please use your ability to gather all the fact, not takes sides for Obama or against Trump and simple PROVE the dang full birth certificate exists. And upon getting that data, insure the race of the faster is accurate for a Kenyan man described in Hawaii. They were NOT African, it was not a named race in 1961.

April 26, 2011 at 12:01 am |
  10. Jenni

My children and I have "certifcations of live birth" and not the long form birth certificate that birthers keep raving about. Does that mean that we were not born in the US either?

April 25, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  11. charles

Why haven't we asked for birth cerificates from eveyone that has run for office.

April 25, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  12. DyannLynn

SHOW THE DAMN THING AND RESOLVE IT ONCE AND FOR ALL, OBAMA!

Mr. Cooper, I used to be a fan. But you're liberal bias is so over the top, I can hardly watch your show at this point.

To those about to bash me, I'm neither a Republican or a Fox News fan – so save it!

April 25, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  13. andre d

i have faith in the american people that the likes of donald trump will never see the inside of the oval office, unless he's invited.
    his accusations against obama is a waste of air time. if he were president, i'd move to canada.

April 25, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  14. Joanieham

You mean to tell me that the only thing Donald Trump can throw against the President is the birth certificate nonsense. Guess what Donald – Barack Obama is the President, and you can't change that period. So, wheel and come again. Donald Trump go and campaign on how you plan to dictate to China, and control oil in other countries. Let people see you for who you are on issues. Enough of your nonsense.

April 25, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  15. Tanya

So why hasn't anybody tried to find a birth certificate for Obama in Kenya? That would be proof about where he was really born.

April 25, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
  16. Carolyn Rodgers

Why is your station giving Donald trumph all this air time? It is very clear that he is grand standing the issue of President Obama's birth certificate. It is a shame that as wealthy as Mr. Trumph is that he would use this issue to get free campaign airtime. There are two ways to become a citizen.........birthright and naturization. President Obama's mother and grandparents were American citizens.........why has that not been addressed? That alone makes him a citizen no matter what soil he was born on. How are the children of American soldiers charaterized when they are born outside the country? I feel that his legal birth certificate and his birthright clearly makes him a bona fide citizen.

April 25, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
  17. Lily Nyland

Donald Trump is an opportunist and does not deserve to be given any more platform to continue beating the issue of the President's birth certicate to death, or to his claims that he knows how to fix the economy. There are far too many more important matters that deserve our attention. Please do not give his rantings any more weight than they deserve.

April 25, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Suzanne J Snyder

Trump needs to get off this band wagon about Obama's birth certificate. I was born in Pa. I have two Notifications
    of birth. My original one and the one that was issued when I was adopted. Neither one of these is recognized by Pa. or the Federal Government. I had to apply to the Dept of Health and get a Certification of Birth. This is the certificate I had to use to apply for Social Security, they would not take my original Notification of Birth Registration.
    I use to admire Donald Trump, but I'm getting sick of him. If this is the way he is going to act. I wouldn't want him for President.

April 25, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Renee Brown

I am appalled that Donald Trump is attempting to slander President Obama in an attempt to make himself appear to be a viable presidential candidate. Mr. Trump the electorate is tiring of your antics.

April 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Renee Brown

I am appalled that Donald Trump is attempting to slander President Obama in an attempt to make himself a viable presidential candidate. Mr. Trump your antics are totally unacceptable!! The best political candidates are those that have integritiy, a willingness to promote a level playing field and can win an election based on their merits.

April 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  21. leslie paradise

obama should have to show his birth cirtificate! I dont understand why he cant just show it and be done with it. The fact he dodges this implies he dose not have one from the u.s.

April 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Sonia Folkes

Very disapointed to learn that Donald Trump is such a racist. It's the President's prerogative to reveal his birth certificate or not...his position surely accords him that privilege. I hope that the Black community will give Trump a taste of his own vitriol and boycott his hotels and other Trump enterprises.

April 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Peter

I don't care. NO ONE CARES EXCEPT FOR YOU. I'm pretty sure he was born here but even if he wasn't who cares, he grew up here. If Donald Trump is going to harp on these issues instead of confronting real problems that concern people other than himself no one's ever going to respect him as a political candidate.

April 25, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Kathleen

It really doesn't matter where President Obama was born. His mother was an American citizen which automatically guaranteed him citizenship. Doesn't anyone study our Constitution anymore?

April 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  25. Diane

I could careless what Donald Trump thinks. He is a wealthy man with obviously nothing to do. We have people without jobs not knowing where their next meal is coming from and this is what the media is focusing on! Shame on you.

April 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Rafael

Donald Trump needs to stick to real estate and leave the government issues to the pros!!! This guy wants to run for president and he calls African-Americans "the blacks" how politicaly correct is that!

April 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Nora

Let Trump spend time investigating where ALL the US jobs are that the "rich people and corporations" were supposed to create with their Bush bonus of lower taxes over the last 10 years. (answer:they all went overseas-so the same people could put more money in their OWN pockets instead of the US economy-and they still want MORE!)

April 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Raphael

I wonder if President Obama would receive the same treatment from Trump if he were white. We all know that many uneducated whites imagine that anyone who has a darker complexion is from a different country. If this is the only controversy Trump can stir, he is going to have a tough time against Obama in 2012.

April 25, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Dwayne

I am a retired military veteran who was stationed in Hawaii for a number of years. Both of my kids were born in Hawaii and received Certificates of Live Birth. Is this to say that my kids are not American citizens? Why is it that Mr. Trump and the "Birthers" can not understand that we have 50 states in this union, all of which have different laws?

April 25, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  30. ben

These birther nuts are just trying to put the Obama administration on the defense...(Do you know the saying "the best defense is a good offense?") as if the whole thing wasn't settled years ago. I hope Obama sees this hype for what it is and appropriately ignores it. The unfortunate problem here is that there are so many nuts out there that wouldn't believe it if they held the actual birth cert. in their grubby little hands. And you can't argue with crazy.

April 25, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  31. Billk

I love Trump. He's blunt, to the point, and speaks his mind. This argument is a little crazy IMHO, but his other issues–China, OPEC, borders, etc–are SPOT ON. Don't let this silly argument fool you.

April 25, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  32. mercfan

Mr. Trump – enough already. The longer you perpetuate this idea, the less you really want to become President. If this is all he has to say, he's pretending to run so he can cast doubt on Obama for someone else in the party to win. I really doubt Trump will release is financial data when the time comes to do so. If he was really going to run, where are the ideas to add jobs, what expenses will he cut, what's he going to do with the troops in Iraq and Afghan? Until we start hearing some answers, he's all hot air.

April 25, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  33. Richard

The constitution says only Natural Citizens are eligible to be President and you say, Hawaii cant produce Birth Certificate? Something is not connecting dots.

April 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Lawrence

Even if there WERE a certificate (and it appears there isn't)–

The CRUCIAL thing in law is the SPIRIT of the law, not the letter of the law. Or any mere paperwork (which doesn't exist). I M P E A CH .

Impeach because he only got in on campaign finance irregularities (CHEATING), any.

Then theres the Anti-American Chicago churh family connection.

In ANY case–Theres NO WAY our forfathers intended a non-citizen hardly-resident father to sire a prez candidate who had patchy residence himself.

The SPIRIT of the law is against those two things - nor did his mother even remain.

For all three of the above reasons– IMPEACH . Prosecute and FINE also, so it never ever happens again.

April 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Shukura

The president, any president, has nothing to do with oil prices. For such a successful businessman, Trump has no idea how the world works. Each time he opens his mouth I have to wonder if he is saying things to keep the poor ignorant so the wealthy can continue to pillage our country or he is just plain ignorant in certain areas. Everyone knows, the president has NOTHING to with gas prices...all they can do is 'look into price gouging' or some other superficial crap. Look back at history and you will see this. The president can also call for us to find other means of fuel or encourage us to reduce consumption. The simple fact is that TRUMP IS DEAD WRONG!!

April 25, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Seth Simon

Really Trump? This is what you want to campaign on? You want to prove yourself a worthy contender, gives us more solutions and less grandstanding BS and theatrics. Oh, but wait, that's what your entire existence is based on. How many bankrupcies and trophy wives? I don't think even the White House is big enough for your ego.

April 25, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Bruce

Forget it Donald. We do NOT need another businessman as President.
    AND, President Obama has already satisfied the requirements of his elected office. Years ago, in fact. You, Mr. Trump, need to stop swallowing "tea party" koolaid so eagerly.

April 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Kahuna

More Trump BS. Notice the disclaimers. "I've been told". "If that's the case...". Does this clown have a problem with telling the truth? Is that who we want as president?

Trump, you're fired.

April 25, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  39. sharif

Donald Trump, shame on you.

April 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  40. Wade

i just find it amazing that now we have a African American president everybody is questioning this and questioning that. People are focused on the wrong issues. Would George Bush have to show proof that he's a born citizen? No. It the previous president 2 terms to mess up the nation and now everybody wants Obama to clean up the mess in 1 term.

April 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  41. Andew

1) I'd love to see the media stop fueling this garbage and focus on things that actually matter.
    2) What is Trump going to do to solve the budget crisis? Last I checked finding Obama's birth certificate won't solve the budget crisis.
    3) Also... he's been bankrupt how many times?

April 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  42. Andrew

This is all nonsense. Even if he wasn't born in the US he is the president and could fake the document flawlessly. I personally believe he was born in Hawaii. He has no hidden agenda. If he goes for a third term then we'll know. Even so, the guy isn't stinking rich and has trouble pushing congress around. This is the scenario, a mildly successful guy who has traveled a bit comes to the US then fakes his birth certificate so he can have the most stressful job in the world and have half the red necks in the country want to kill him? Doesn't seem to plausible to me.

April 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  43. tyler

How long is Trump gonna play on this free media airplay. Enough already. Trump has no chance at making a serious run at the 2012 campaign. Obama is a natural born American. This is nothing but blatant racism. Go away Trump

April 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  44. Raffa

"This document, which is a computerized abstract of his birth information that the State of Hawaii issues to individuals requesting their birth records, satisfies proof-of-birth requirements for various federal matters, including obtaining a passport".

Why is it necessary to use the term "abstract" when describing this document? If it satisfies the standards set out, then why is this a discussion 2 years after he was elected? It honestly makes me sick to believe that this is actually what a "viable" candidate is running on in a time like this. It shows us all how moronic and uniformed the country is. Donald Trump does not strike me as a stupid man, but he is playing to this base. The idiocy, hypocrisy, and bigotry that define Conservative Politics in this country make me wonder why they aren't wearing pointy hats and white capes.

April 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  45. Jason B.

Come on...it's not like the record keepers are just gonna let his "investigators" just waltz on in and start tearing through old filing cabinets anyway. This whole thing has been debunked numerous times. It's time for a whole bunch of people to just get a life.

April 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  46. nick2

It is really silly to take Donald Trump as a serious contender for the White House.
    Whether this is a publicity stunt,
    or his ego crossing the line of sanity, or both,
    the wondrous thing is his appeal to the right wing of the party to the right.

How a little man with a fraudulent hairline and in platform heels, a couple of reality shows,
    a beauty pageant, a cadre of casinos,
    some ostentatious skyscrapers, three marriages and nine bankruptcies
    and an ego as high as the Empire State, all of them financed on debt instruments,
    can captivate a Republican audience, is extraordinary.

His financials are as shaky as the Japanese mainland,
    his swagger as painful as a drunken sailor –
    and still he is credible as Mr President ?
    LOL – LOL and LOL

April 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  47. MarkyGA

Trump's the type of guy that, even with all the evidence produced that he's asking for, would STILL find a reason to continue his mindless crusade. Typical always-say-the-opposite-of-the-democrats republican. Sounds a lot like Newt, who was in favor of military action in Libya. Until Obama followed his advice. THEN Newt switched sides and rallied against military action.

April 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  48. Tom R

Donald... really? C'mon man... really? This is all the banter you can must against one of the greatest POTUS this country will ever know... Really? Holy cow, the right has gone totally insane, where's HIS birth certificate? What really is his net-worth? TRUMP = EPIC FAIL

April 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  49. Adam

Just because your money can't buy you access to it Don, does not mean it doesn't exist.

April 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  50. David

Cmon Obama, show the certificate!

April 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm |