April 8th, 2011

Will the Federal Government Shutdown?: Join the Live Chat

Members of Congress have just two hours to avoid a partial government shutdown. They are still trying to reach a budget compromise. We'll have the latest developments from Capitol Hill and the White House. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike

It's time to stand up AMERICA!

April 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  2. ron

I never liked term limits but we have to consider limiting anyone serving in congress more than one term.People say that the founding fathers were so smart but we have disfunctional government where the publichave no say in what congress do once they get in office. Not so smart to me!Ifmemebers wereup for election every year maybe things would be different.

April 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  3. James

Awesome, this all that the Soldiers and other Federal Employees need. Lets just prolong this and see how it turns out. Its easy to push back a deadline when you're not affected by it. Its hard enough deploying but now add the stress of not getting paid....can someone please explain the benefits of serving in the Military or working for the Government

April 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Melody

Dear Congress, Last year I mismanaged my funds and this year I cannot decide on a budget. Until I have come to a unified decision that fits all of my needs and interests, I will have to shut down my checkbook and will no longer be able to pay my taxes. I'm sure you'll understand. Thank you very much for setting an example we can all follow.

April 8, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  5. richard

In the words of Thomas Jefferson...If government is not serving the people, The people are obligated to create a government that will.

April 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Ms. Johnson

Mr. Cooper,
    This is unreal. No federal government worker whether you are in the military or not should go without pay. I am a veteran and all employees should be paid. Congress is not going without their pay, and they did not vote on paying themselves a week at a time last year. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

April 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Amie B

Can we just get Dave Ramsey in there to fix the budget? Beans and rice, rice and beans for everyone.

April 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Heather

Its already shows on the military LES that the soldiers pay got cut in half

April 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  9. terri b Lake Placid Fla

So now there is a deal? But only til next week? Then we have to go through this all over again? Our government needs to treat us better than this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Jeremy

What I don't understand is why it seems the majority of tea party actually wants a shutdown. They are making there movement look like a joke now.

April 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Carey-Pineville, LA

As a military spouse this is so stressful. I have been having panic attacks all day and almost in tears. I understand that we would be paid "eventually" but paycheck to paycheck living doesn't allow for those few days!!

April 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Lisa

OK...so an agreement was reached at 10:35pm tonight...then why was our military pay cut earlier today?

April 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  13. bette

first trim foreign aid we send money to
    people who hate us, pocket the money, and
    starve their own people. are we really that
    dumb?

April 8, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Mike

I have a family of four depending on a government paycheck. My job is to reduce spending and eliminate waste. I wish I could tell the people I report to (congress)That the need to do the same. I'm extremely frustrated with the tea party, but in general all governing officials playing politics instead of doing the job they were elected to do. Governing. Who will feed my children and pay my electric bill this month? None of them will miss a paycheck.

April 8, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Errol-

... Americans ought to be upset at this insidious display of arrogance demonstrated by the political leaders of this great nation. It is time Americans step forwarded and demand more from their leaders, especially when it comes to avoiding a governmental shut down. What an embarrassment, what a shame! How do we Americans accept or allow such pompous politicians to hold one's livelihood in their hands while they remain steady to their personal agendas while they ignore American needs. These politicians were elected to work together and find resolve. It is clear they are incapable at doing this. The heads of this issue need to be removed and replaced with people who can... this includes the presidency. Americans do not want excuses, we want results! Congress need to make it happen! God help America if one American soul has to lose their income due to political incompetence!

April 8, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  16. ramsey

Ask the republican gurus that for the add on's that are being attached to the budget, we are going to lose 8 billion dollars per week. We will not forget at the next election. Especially when a dumb congress woman said that they couldn't afford to stay without a paycheck as she had responsibilities, yet 800,000 federal employees don't have any financial responsibilities.

What a bunch of clowns we elected into congress:)

April 8, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Mr. Hendricks

The military has sworn to protect this country, foriegn and domestic and if the government can't come up with a budget they are saying that they can't protect the military. Somewhere, that has to be a breach of contract.

April 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Ann

Hello, everyone,

I agree with Marybeth, but let it go further, let them give up one days pay, forego any raises for the next 15 years and relinguish any if not all their benefits,because for every human being under these elected official has lost something, let them see how it feels!
    When they cannot pay their mortgage or monthly bills and have to cut even beyond the bare minium.
    When the banks, bill collector have no regards for the what the individual or family is going through, all they "WANT" IS THEIR MONEY!

April 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Lyn

My husband is one of the 800,000 who will be locked out at midnight. He is at work right now trying to get as much done as possible. Workers caught trying to work during a shut down can be fined $5000. These stop gap measures are insane! We can't afford to not get paid. Military will be paid. They say we won't.

April 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  20. william 123

whew we made a deal I am shocked ha ha.

April 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Donald

No bill will be past until Monday Gov offices are closed during weekend.

April 8, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Amelia Rossiter

What about a repeal of the tax cuts for the rich. When you try to do a budget you either make more money or cut spending. What about a flat tax. No more debt. No exemptions

April 8, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Scott

I am of the opinion that if this government shuts down over such miniscule issues then perhaps the american people should stage a geberal strike and shut down everything. It might capture someones attention if Walmart doesn't open one day. Kinda like the sun not rising.

April 8, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Mandy C.

This is just unbelievable... NEITHER party is going to come out looking good at end of this. It is really hard to stomach this.

April 8, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Whitney

So if the military is taking pay cuts does that mean they only have to do half the work or work half a day...?!

26. Cierra

Why did the military get brought into all of this they are over seas fighting for their lives and all of ours for that matter. what is going to happen to the families if our soldiers don't get paid? How are we going to pay our bills and take are of our childern?

27. Patty

Wake Up Americans!
    For the People, by the People! This country belongs to the PEOPLE. Lets stop allowing politicians to control things. How dare the Republicans interfere with parent planhood. They lie!!The federal government does not and can't not financially support abortions. PP is about more that. They don't have to worry because their wives and daughters have the best healthcare on earth, and we're paying for it, along with their pensions that they get for the rest of their lives. Let's band together main street America!

28. MaryBeth

Handshakes mean nothing in DC. Pretty sure this deal will be null and void in 15 minutes.

29. Jamie

How much truth is there to the fact that this budget arguement is REALLY over wanting to de-fund federal spending on abortion (money to Planned Parenthood)? I have received requests for prayer on this issue. Is it true? I am asking not for opinions but if anyone has proof of this. Thx.

30. Richard Cronier

I also wish these people would sit with a soldier and his family one on one and look them in the eye and say " Your daddy may get his head blown off next week and you will never see him again and on top of that, we can't afford to pay him (her) their salary........ And no, I am not a soldier nor is any of my immediate family, I am just a patriotic citizen who can't believe that of anything they have to cut how they can tell soldiers they aren't going to get paid. They don't get paid enough anyway.

31. Steven Crouch, Ret USAF MSgt

Whatever discussion that our Government does when it comes to debating government spending, cut backs, reduction or what ever regarding the government budget. Our Military Troops should never be pawns, or be place in a position where they will never be paid.

As a War Veteran seeing friends, buddies, and fellow military members give their life for this county and then see the manner in which our leaders acted on 8 April 2011, indicate to me they have no loyalty for our Armed Forces. It was plain to my wife and me, that our leaders where only concern about saving face and sound bites.

My Wife and I jointly have a total of 56 years of military service in the United States Air Force. Our Government behavior on 8 April 2011 makes us ashamed to say we’re Retired Military Veteran of the United States of American.

Steven Crouch, Ret USAF, MSgt
    Awilda Ciuro, Ret USAF, Lt Col

32. Paula, Colorado

The suspense of waiting for word on the agreement with the deadline only a little over an hour away is kind of weird–as is their debating up until the very last minute. I hope the result is positive.

33. Robin

I am tired of any politician saying "Americans want blah blah", they dont speak for me. What I want is for them to do their jobs – quit with the earmarks,add ons,and social adjendas and settle the budget.

34. Troy

They do not want to cut military pay, but due to the goverment shut down we will just not get paid until later. For some this is not an issue but for other junior enlited members that do not make more than $800 every two weeks they will have trouble making ends meet. I have about 10 junior enlisted Airman that supervise and i could not give them answers on what they should do for now, but i do not know what to do my self.

35. Tina

I am a disabled veteran and I am outraged at what is going on in Washington. Why should the people who have caused this problem -Senators and Congress – get paid but not the people who are out there fighting for our freedom? They are not doing their job, so should get no pay-not even back pay- until they do. This is not the country I joined the military to protect.

Washington needs to stop quibbling about pennies on the dollar and get the budget done. NOW!

36. Mike E

I think it's ridiculous that the men and women that honorably serve this country, many of whom are in harm's way both in and out of military uniforms are being threatened by external issues! Yet the Congress thinks it is a game many with their smiling faces... they'll still get paid!

37. Belinda

OMG.. a deal...maybe!

38. Lottie

My comment my be basic...but, today and yrs ago, where are the accountants, treasurer folks...not analysis. Stop allowing new bills on our Fed/state ballots that we just can't fund. We need to stop "giving" away our tax dollars as aid to Egypt and everywhere else, and take care of Americans. We just gave Egypt 1.3 billion in aid and can't ensure our own citizens their basic needs. The church says give 10%. Get an outside firm and maybe a good math teacher to create a true forecast and manage it. How can we be a Powerhouse, if we can't even pay the mortgage?

39. debbie

i would like to know why we dont start by cutting the obma wage congeress wages and see how they like live from pay check to pay check they dont know what its like to live that way

40. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The Republican party comes off like a Confederate Party. They think that they won the war!

41. Richard

Thanks to Anderson for asking about the continued pay for members of Congress, the Senate and the President after a shutdown while the military,and many others, including their own staffs, might not be able to pay the rent.

42. Pedro

Why is it that we have to rely on unknown sources to find out what is going on inside the senate? Is it illegal to see how they make decisions? Or are they just scared that we will find out that they are incompetent and that they have no idea what they are doing?

43. Chi

@Karl 10:26 Hah? Congress needs to be fired? Tough!

44. Dewayne

Did ya'll hear that our illustrious leaders are still getting paid?

45. rich

@ chantel – Yes we have a 14T dollar deficit, but LOOK at who put us there. the ones that govern this country. they are spending more and more overseas and not focusing on the real issues THE DEFICIT. Had our (president) not continued to spend billions overseas we wouldnt be in this situation

46. dave

This whole crisis is about political game plans and not about budgets. Want to fix the budget? Talk about why Exxon made 45 billion in profit in 2009 and filed 1.1 billion dollars in tax deductions resulting in $0.00 dollars paid to the IRS. Let Talk about why the senate with a average income of $174,000 per year can't put aside the standard pork items that they put in these bills and simply pass a budget. So they are making 174,000 and have not been able to do their primary job for 6 months now?

47. Linda Gray

I also think it is a shame that Congressmen get their same pay when they retire. That is part of the problem. Whoelse in this country gets the same pay when they retire? Nobody? You get a certain percentage depending on how long you have worked. I think it is a shame how much money the government pays Congress and the retired Congressmen. Take part of all of their pay and give it to the servicemen and their families.

48. Elizabeth A. Lee

i'm a military wife upon that im blind so i have medical bills and my husaband and i live pay check to paycheck. Military life is not easy.

So hears my suggestion if there is no agreement on the bill all of the families that live here in Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma send our bills to them and let them pay them.

And how nice of the president to cancel his weekend getaway to deal with real life.

49. Frank

Their killing the morale of the government workforce by dragging this out.

50. Nadine

I think by Monday.....we are all going to be back to work....

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14