April 7th, 2011

Food or rent? Soldier's wife fears gov't shutdown

Rachel Rodriguez
CNN

(CNN) - Military mom Emily O'Donnell has a solution for the government to avoid a shutdown: "Go to your room and do not come out until your job is done."

The 27-year-old mother of four is "furious" that parts of the federal government could shut down tomorrow if Congress cannot agree on a budget. If that happens, paychecks for military workers could be delayed indefinitely. Troops are guaranteed back-pay, but not knowing when they'll receive a check could put some military families in financial crisis.

Full story

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • iReport
  1. Darlene Durand

I'm Canadian and I can't believe the Government would shut down for any reason. Ours isn't any better for other reasons. There are people's lives at stake here and you expect the Military to fight for a Country that won't pay them or Court Martial them should they put their arms down and go to a safe place till the money starts rolling in again. They not only have to worry about staying alive, they have families that they are the sole provider. Tell Congress to arm themselves and go fight with the Rebels. No joke! People have trouble enough keeping their heads above ground now. If I had a son in the Military and he was seriously wounded and could not live a productive life or even worse, killed, I would tell those responsible for shutting Government down that those soldiers will haunt there every waking minute and sleepless night.
    Absolutely Unbelieveable
    Darlene Durand

April 7, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  2. Rob

So I am in the Coast Guard in a single family income with my wife, two kids and wife is pregnant now. So i understand we will get backpay, but what are we supposed to do till then whenever they decide to pay us back. I have 2 car payments, rent, food, and everyday needs. How am i going to afford to even go to work if i dont get paid.

April 7, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  3. Christina Brown

Insult to injury ... The Department of Veterans Affairs is included in the proposed government shut down. This means claim processing for service connected disability compensation and non-service connected pension benefits for veterans and surviving spouses also halts. Insuring the funding of our troops payroll and all functions that support our troops seems far more note worth than Plan Parenthood funding rhetoric of do's or don't.

April 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  4. carolyn howell

Grandson Sgt. Ryan Macuch( as in mooch)in yellow suit working in nuc. plant in Japan leaving his wife and baby daughter in Hawaii. Now she must worry about him in earthquake and possible radiation to him and also future exposure to herself and baby. Now she also has to worry about receiving Army pymt.My great-grandaughter's name is Malia Rose. How ironic. From a loving grandmother.

April 7, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Rick Maryland

Unbelievable these government fools can't get the job done on anything. I have a son in the Navy in harm's way who doesn't get paid squat to begin with, is charged for his food and clothing and works 15 hour shifts. Most Americans don't understand the hardships our servicemen and women must endure.
    If the government can't provide for those who protect us, I will.
    Send me contact info for one of these families who need help and I'll pay for their needs until they can provide for themselves.
    We really can take care of our own. The government obviously is no longer interested.

April 7, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  6. Lindsay

I am a military spouse and I am in the same position as many other spouses. Fortunetly, we do have some savings and no debt, but we were just transferred overseas and spent a large amount of our savings in order to do that. It has been over a month and we still have not received that money back, and of course it is expected to be in the next paycheck, but now it won't be there. If this continues until the end of the month, we will not be able to pay our rent, and if we can't pay our rent, our landlord won't be able to pay his mortgage. We won't be able to put any money in the local economy because we will be required to save every penny we have now. Yes, it's nice to know that eventually we will receive it, but in the mean time it feels as if we and our military spouse aren't important to anyone on Capital Hill.

April 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm |