March 28th, 2011

Pres. Obama defends U.S. involvement in Libya: Join the Live Chat

Libyan opposition forces make solid advances against Col. Gadhafi’s army. In a prime-time speech, President Obama defended American involvement in the coalition effort. We’ll have the raw politics, the reactions, and the potential midterm effects. Plus, the latest on the volatile situations in Syria and Yemen, and powerful new video of the tsunami hitting Japan.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Nina, the rest of her life is probably already over.

March 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I have to say this whole scene and subsequent rhetoric relative to this outspoken woman makes me angry and frustrated.

March 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Kenya

Whether Eman al-Obeidy is mentally ill or not (I highly doubt that she is) I do fear for her safety from the manner in which she was being treated. We've all seen how merciless Muammar's followers are. And lying is their other favorite hobby.

March 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Starr, formerly known as vincent

The story about this woman, who claimed she was raped and beaten is tragic and horrible.

Thank God her tribe is standing up for her and protecting her "honor". (I heard it reported that she is engaged to be married.)

I hope & pray she is safe and will be let go to go home to the comfort and safety of her family.
    I do agree with another blogger re: PTSD. Yes, what has been done to her is horrific and will likely be unforgettable for her.

March 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Krasi, Houston

All the research done on international human rights and human trafficking has revealed one aspect everyone agrees on: in such conflicts, the women and children are always on the losing side and endure most of the suffering. Sad, sad, and very maddening.

March 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

This is not right to grab her to say shut her mouth up.......... I was so appalled that it is outraged for her tell story!!!!!!!

March 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Nina

She will never have a normal relationship with men for the rest of her life.

March 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  8. lisal -canada

the regime, and some others, are very good at both physical and psychological intimidation – she was to be made an example of, but i think it is going to backfire on them this time

March 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Janis

If this didn't happen to her, she's one of the world's great actresses.

March 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  10. MaryBeth

Those videos of that woman are wild! Are we ever going to find out what happened to her? Her family says the gov't has her and the gov't says they released her.

March 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Nina

OMG 15 men raped her... I am speechless I cannot even imagine the trauma this woman has experienced and how it will ruin the rest of her entire life...

March 28, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  12. Chi

Where is that woman now? God bless her.

March 28, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Lori

This is souch a sad story about the woman who was raped.

March 28, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Carolyn

My heart really goes out to this very brave woman who was attacked by the Libyan Pro-Gadhafi Forces... I Pray that she is truly safe... God Bless this woman & everyone coming forward...

March 28, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Krasi, Houston

Casey Jones – Palm Springs, CA "I'm tired of hearing talking heads talking about what "should have" been done weeks ago. The past is over, stop the rhetoric and focus on moving forward."

Right on! It's utterly annoying to watch people discussing what should've happened. There is simply no way to know what the result would've been to the many possible reactions. Let's work with what we've got.

March 28, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Nicole Netherlands

Good evening everyone, late in, watched whole show.
    Anderson thanks for adressing Iman Al Obeidy!

March 28, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  17. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Casey re: talking heads and "what ifs"

I couldn't agree more!

March 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Janis

@Casey Jones – Yes, agreed. Move forward.

March 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  19. MaryBeth

@Mike, you are so right. We don't even know who is leading the rebels. Right now it seems to be by consensus? I know there's a spokesman, I saw him quoted the other day, but other than that, nobody specific.

March 28, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Kaytee

Its comical how whenever the pres speaks, the pundits all talk about what they would have liked him to say. I'm sure everyone has a list of what they would like to hear. The professor is right, Pres Obama spoke for only 20 min, he couldn't give the history of the middle east, lol.

March 28, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks Megan. Did we pull our troops out of Libya after they retrieved the pilot?

Nina,
    Yes, They were safety and rescued by others and greeted see 2 pilots made their happy.

March 28, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Jackie

I know that David Gergen and alot of others have questions on Obama's next move after he's made this no fly zone over Libya, but don't you think it's against our interest if publicize what our next move is? That's the problem with U.S., we talk to much. To tell to much and if we are to do anything, we need it, I'm sorry Anderson, without the media and people knowing! That's how I feel right now!

March 28, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Dushka

Mr.Obama cannot know the final result of Libya mission. But even if he knows he should not
    disclose it. Wars secrets should not be known to the enemy. The Iraq war is a proof that all the planning doesn't guarantee positive results.

March 28, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Shirley

I really think the President's speech was right on target. Unfortunately, for political and "hater" reasons, some people will just find something negative to point out. The complaints about not acting sooner...we're not in this alone. The complaints about not taking more decisive action to remove Gaddafi...not the objective. Success defined...thousands of men, women and children are not killed.

March 28, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Heather - Spokane, WA

Nic Robertson and Arwa Damon are doing great there and hope they stay safe. Have to call it an early night tonight, managed to catch a flu bug while on vacation. Have a good night everyone

March 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Joe

We must intervene in the middle east and Africa .Whats important now is stopping the violence right now and thru history we have seen that peaceful ways just don't work when dealing with violent threats.

March 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Starr, formerly known as vincent

As always, I enjoy Prof. Ajami.

And, i agree with the woman panalist who said if both sides are not in Total agreement, what you are doing is probably about right.

Unfortunately, i diagree with David G.'s statement....too many "what ifs". We all need to take it a day at a time. I believe that too much speculation is going on.

I thought that Pres. Obama's speech was clear. American does Not have to be the Leader every time. Approaching conflicts, when ever possible, it seems important to have a Coalition & Sharing of the costs too.

Had the President moved 3 weeks ago without a Coalition we would be seen as "going it alone" again, in a Muslim country. The request by the Arab League and the follow up with their participation is vital.

March 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina,
    Yes, It was...... they were ejected from jet and rescued both pilots safety...... they were greeting and see them happy.

March 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Sharon Hastings

With due respect to David Gergen, no one has all the answers to every possible variation of outcomes at this stage.

Even though the President said what he did concerning Gadhafi and his regime, I wouldn't relax if I were Gadhafi.

March 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Janis

I don't recall President Obama ever commiting to the USA getting rid of Gadhafi. He denounced Gadhafi by saying "Gadhafi must go" when popular opinion was clammering for some sort of denoucement from the US. That's my take on all this.

March 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Robert ODonnell

WIth all the defectors from the Gadhafi camp stating that Gadhafi ordered Lockerbie and others, you would think that the US would consider him a national security risk like Bin Laden and move in to either eliminate him or capture him.

March 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  32. MaryBeth

@Mike, I think it's still too soon to tell.

March 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The bottle line is he went in there.

March 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  34. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Casey~ I see you are right about that. We need an exit plan. Thanks friend

March 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Nic Robertson and Arwa Damon are super job in Libya....... I think I agree with both of them, I have heard that Gadhafi would not step down eventually....... I hope that they are out of their harm's way!!!! They are awesome reporters! 🙂

March 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The makeup of the rebel force is completely unknown. We have no idea who we are backing.

March 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Janis

I think it's difficult to have a detailed plan when you don't have control of producing an outcome. He has left control of the outcome up to the Libyan people to pursue their destiny as it should be. In any case, Gadhafi most likely will be up on war crime charges. Someone will get him. He's an international criminal.

March 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

March 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  39. MaryBeth

@Sharon, I think McCain was agreeing by pointing out times when we DID act unilaterally. I think McCain was actually defending Obama.

March 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Krasi, Houston

I think the President clearly stated that it's the Libyans that needs to re-build their country and choose their next leader. We shouldn't be the ones telling them what and how to do it. We can offer guidance if solicited, but that's about it.

March 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Nina

Megan Dresslar – Shoreline, WA
    No...... It was not shot down by jet.... it was engine fail broke down......... I think.

March 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

David Gergen nailed it. What next? Under what conditions do we leave? What happens in a stalemate?

March 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Carolyn

Libya is such a tragic mess, but hopeful change is underway... Prayers To All!!!

March 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Casey, I couldn't agree more with you

March 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Betty Ann...nope (further options and strategies or at least an exit plan).

March 28, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

I hear what John McCain is saying but the President clearly said in his speech that there are times to act unilaterally. He never said you "always" wait and develop a coalition.

March 28, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Heather "Libya will be better off without Gadhafi"
    The WORLD will be better of without Gadhafi, and all of those like him.

March 28, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  48. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

President Obama did the right thing. We can all agree? Wow! Do I smell a hint of peace?

March 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

Libya will be better off without Gadhafi

March 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  50. Carolyn

I feel that President Obama's speech was really clear... I am Canadian, and I do support the International Community!!!

March 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm |