March 28th, 2011

Pres. Obama defends U.S. involvement in Libya: Join the Live Chat

Libyan opposition forces make solid advances against Col. Gadhafi’s army. In a prime-time speech, President Obama defended American involvement in the coalition effort. We’ll have the raw politics, the reactions, and the potential midterm effects. Plus, the latest on the volatile situations in Syria and Yemen, and powerful new video of the tsunami hitting Japan.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Krasi, Houston

Now that the President's position is clear and afer his strong speech tonight, the critics have to attack him on not acting sooner? I am sorry, but there is no way to know what would've or could've happened if we had acted differently. Ruminating on that is simply waste of time.

March 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  2. MaryBeth

@Janis, you bring up a good point. I don't even remember hearing about any tribal conflicts. Right now I think everyone's concerned/united about getting rid of Gadhafi.

March 28, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  3. Paula, Colorado

The reports and images from Libya are very disturbing. Gadhafi would be doing the world a great favor by just relinquishing power.

March 28, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  4. Krasi, Houston

Watching the video of this woman screaming, I can equally assume she is just a crazy woman yelling or that what she says is true. There is no way to determine the truth by watching the video. It's true, though, that in war, women and children are always on the losing side.

March 28, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  5. MaryBeth

@Mike, it's not up to us to define an exit strategy. We're out when Obama said we're out. The rest if up to NATO and they're still trying to figure out what the mission is.

March 28, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina,
    No...... It was not shot down by jet.... it was engine fail broke down......... I think.

March 28, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  7. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Everyone has been calling the stuggle in Lybia a "civil" war.
    Now that pro=Gadhafi civilians have been armed, and if the opposition begins to fight with them it really will be a "civil" war.

Where will the coalition stand then? Any ideas anyone?

March 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Nina

omg the woman was "gang raped"? That is absolutely terrifying. She will have PTSD for the rest of her life.

March 28, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Janis

I would hope that some sort of tribal diplomacy could take place before the Libyans start shooting at each other. Do the tribes coucil with each other?

March 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Kaytee

@ Patrick
    Actually Pres Obama did just what he said he would do in his Nobel Peace speech.
    "There will be times when nations – acting individually or in concert – will find the use of force not only necessary but morally justified..More and more, we all confront difficult questions about how to prevent the slaughter of civilians by their own government, or to stop a civil war whose violence and suffering can engulf an entire region...I believe that force can be justified on humanitarian grounds, as it was in the Balkans, or in other places that have been scarred by war. Inaction tears at our conscience and can lead to more costly intervention later. That is why all responsible nations must embrace the role that militaries with a clear mandate can play to keep the peace."

March 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

They are into staging,now.

March 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The speech failed to define an exit strategy. When does NATO leave?

March 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  13. MaryBeth

@Jo Ann, This is true, but I don't consider providing intelligence and weapons and other forms of aid being "at war". It might be splitting hairs, but that's just my honest opinion.

March 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Krasi, Houston

@Starr, formerly known as vincent, Thanks, I am certainly not always agreeing with what the President says or does, but I respect him for the job he does and thought he really explained the current situation well.

March 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    Good point there, No excuse for goverment pull woman who raped by Gadfahi forces, That is unacceptable behavior!!!!!!!

March 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Sharon Hastings

I know there is a long way to go in Libya but I am encouraged to see that our efforts to help have enabled the opposition forces to regain some ground. NATO needs to keep the pressure on.

March 28, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Krasi, Houston

What we are seeing right now is just a small part of the fight for complete independence. I personally believe that re-building one's country after such a conflict and establishing and preserving freedom is what can make or break a nation.

March 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, Ohio

@MaryBeth, "we're not at war. I wish people would stop saying that. We are NOT at war."

Just because it hasn't been "declared" doesn't mean we are not at war.

March 28, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Nina

Do we have ground troops in Libya or were they there to pick up the pilots of the downed jet?

March 28, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Anderson, Nic really has done a remarkable job in Tripoli.
    I have been pleasantly surprised that the Gadhafi gov. has Not shut him down.
    His Honest reporting has been very much appreciated!

Arwa D. too.

March 28, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Janis

I hope the professor can comment on the status of the tribes in the Western portion of Libya. Is there a way of diplomacy since the tribe existed before Gadhafi and most likely will after Gadhafi. Is there any sense of tribal dignity and pride that is bigger than Gadhafi? I thought some within his tribe denounced him.

March 28, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  22. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Nic Robertson is very brave to bring us the latest from a dangerous position in Libya. Thank you Nic! you are appreciated

March 28, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, Ohio

On March 20 Richard Engel tweeted that there were reports that Gaddafi forces were using the bodies of people they murdered and blaming it on the coalition.

March 28, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  24. Krasi, Houston

Watching these brief videos of what's going in Libya, it's really hard to determine what's really happening.

March 28, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  25. Heather - Spokane, WA

I hope that Libyan woman who was attacked is ok. Sh is right though, if no one sees her after today we will know what happened and they caught it all on video so the world will know

March 28, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Trish Gorham

I understand your personal interest in the events in Libya, but I tuned in to hear about President Obama's speech, which I missed.

The speech should have been the lead.

March 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  27. MaryBeth

@Patrick, we're not at war. I wish people would stop saying that. We are NOT at war.

March 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Krasi, Houston,

really well balanced post re: thoughts about Pres. Obama's speech. I agree.

March 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  29. MaryBeth

I liked Obama's speech. He was very clear in what we had done, why we had done it, what we're going to do and why we're going to do it.

March 28, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Janis

My heart goes out to the Libyan women who was gang raped. I heard that her fiancee and parents solidified her honor by performing a marriage in absentia. I pray for her safety.

March 28, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  31. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Raping women is inexcusible. Women are not disposable toys Mr Gadafi!

March 28, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Heather - Spokane, WA

Gadhafi is trying desperately to cover a gaping wound with a band aid and it is not working. When is he going to realize this?

March 28, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Patrick

President Obama was mandated when he was elected to solve the economic problems in the USA not to go to war without letting the congress putting it to a free vote.

He was to elected withdraw troops from Iraq and Afghanistan and to close down Guantanamo prison camp, he is letting his supporters down all over the world and that Nobel Peace Prize he won was a bit premature. No man should sent in armaments to another sovereign country without asking the electorate first, I'm British and David Cameron didn't even have a free vote in the British House of Commons, this isn't on. Blair did the same over Iraq.

March 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Heleni

I thought it was a good speech.

March 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  35. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Gadhafi is a manipulitive maniac. His greed is worth the sacrifice of many lives. He needs to go.

March 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Krasi, Houston

Good evening everyone! Watched the President's speech and thought it was great. Definitely agree with his statement that history is proof that Gaddafi will not make it. People like him never do, even though sometimes they do prosper for too long.

Also, President Obama's words on leadership made me think for a few minutes and realize that really, leadership does not always mean let's, without analysis, forcefully take actions whether others agree with them or not. After all, if we are always the bully taking immediate action, who is going to hold us accountable if we are wrong?

March 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello, Nancy, Nichole, Megan, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Nina, Heather, Sharon H., BettyAnn, everyone

Looks like it will be a lively blog and show tonight.

March 28, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Janis

Hello everyone. Good speech by the President tonight. I think he made it clear why we helped Libya.

March 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  39. MaryBeth

What is going on in Libya? The fake civilian deaths, that woman being hauled away and claiming to be raped. It just gets weirder and weirder.

March 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Lori

I liked the President's speach. I thought he looked like he was thinking "being six feet under" when he was saying that we will continue to support Gadahafi leaving power...

March 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. I was extremely pleased with the President's speech.

March 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hope you have a great weekend, Anderson and Bloggers! 🙂

March 28, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  43. MaryBeth

Good evening, everyone. Interesting news day for a Monday.

March 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Kaytee

I thought so too Paula.

March 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Lori

Hi Anderson. Hi Everyone. Good evening.

March 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Good Evening Bloggers

March 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, others and my friend Facebook/Twitter Bloggers!!!!

I agree with our president Obama tonight, I think he is right decision and good speech as well.

March 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on. I hope you had a restful weekend.
    I thought Pres. Obama's speech on Libya was very good–strong, clarifying and determined.

March 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

March 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone. Been on vacation for a bit. Hope you had a great weekend

March 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm |