March 14th, 2011

New Nuclear Emergency in Japan: Join the Live Chat

Want more details on what we're covering tonight? Read THE EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Andy

I love Japan. But you have to wonder about optimistic appraisals of the situation in a country where it is common practice to not inform patients that they have cancer.

March 15, 2011 at 12:00 am |
  2. Helen

Good night all...be safe in Japan. Protect yourself if you can. I am almost a fraid to go to sleep in fear of what the news will bring in the morning.

March 14, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  3. Kristina H ~ California

To all in Japan earthquake & tsunami, I am so sorry 4 your losses, I just can't say enough 2 help. But I commend u all 4 being strong & sticking 2gtr in such devastating circumstances. I am keeping u all close 2 my heart as I keep my own family. God speed 2 u all, & I will keep u in my prayers even tho we have never met. Xoxo

March 14, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
  4. cheryl from Oregon

Christopher I won't be so sure of myself If I was u.. They r dangerous and people need to be told to evacuate now..And Anderson get out while u can. Pray for all the people there..

March 14, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
  5. Vince

Anderson,

I hope you and the team are finding a location further away from these plants. This is such a situation- if there were any survivors waiting to be found, this is making it more difficult for rescue workers. All I say is much prayers!

March 14, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
  6. Jim Rodriguez

Incredibly sad about the disaster in japan. I spent good time there back in 1965 (Yokohama) on my way to Okinawa and then Viet-Nam. Best wishes to all from one old Marine.

March 14, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  7. gus roach

lou when that happens kiss alot good bye

March 14, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  8. Sally

Hi Anderson, great job on the live coverage. How far is Sendai from the nuclear plants? And how much effect will the radioactive fallout affect the West Coast?

March 14, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  9. Tracy

I hope all of you working there have taken potassium iodide pills, and yes you should all be wearing radiation badges. We appreciate your effort to bring us frontline news, however I hope you think of your own health first.

March 14, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  10. lindyinontario@hotmail.com

If these nuclear plants meltdown and explode are we looking at a Hiroshima event no one seems to be asking what will happen if these plants all fail are we talking about nuclear winter? Just how much of the world is going to be radiated. We see people getting tested for radiation but there not saying what the numbers are that these poor are being exposed to. Are we being told the whole truth?

March 14, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
  11. Raye

Christopher, the rods are not in and all 4 cores are reactive
    They would not need the amount of cooling if they were "shut down" Also at least one has higher yield plutonium fuel in it.
    some of the zirconium fuel rods melted and warped, resulting in high heat from the reactivity
    The only thing to do is to remove fuel

March 14, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
  12. Merl,Ohio

Don't ask for my opinion on a nuclear plant. Go with solar, wind and develope water turbines that operate from wave motion. Good night all.

March 14, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
  13. Gail Duncan

Thks Anderson and AC360 crew/CNN for keeping us updated.

March 14, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
  14. Val - California

Good info Ryan K and Christopher. Thank you. Goodnight world ...

March 14, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
  15. Larry from Vancouver, BC, Canada

We pray for all those folks in Japan...we also pray, Anderson, that you, Gary & Dr. Gupta are far enough away from those nuclear facilities that you are safe. You guys do such wonderful work. As you say to everyone, be safe. Larry

March 14, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
  16. Lou

I have a quick question that i have not heard asked what is going to happen when the fuel rods fuse and melt through the side of the volcano? Is that going to polute the air, water and land with radiation? What is the earths reaction going to be from this impact?

March 14, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
  17. Joseph R Korup

What are the current microsieverts?

March 14, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
  18. Jesse Vosters

Is the water used to cool all being let out as steam? Is radioactive sea water being let out to sea and is that a situation it self?

March 14, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
  19. Marie

As far as a total reactor meltdown, look no further than the historical records from the Chernoble (sp.) accident. Three Mile Island was a partial meltdown which I believe is the stage Japan's reactors are at now. It's a shame. I feel so bad for Japan.

March 14, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  20. Ryan California

Hope everyone is going to be alright! I hope they're not under estimating the nuclear power plant... Be safe!

March 14, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  21. Carol

Hi Anderson,
    CNN should provide you with protective gear.

March 14, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  22. Joseph R Korup

Also, if this was at 830am local time, what is the rate of increasing microsieverts?

March 14, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
  23. Brian

Christopher – I hope you are correct. I'm not concerned based on any movie I have seen. I know for a fact that the type of accident I described has taken place in the past. It worries me a lot, and I only hope for the best.

March 14, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
  24. gus roach

it`s not shock, it`s realization that here`s big trouble

March 14, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
  25. Bob

Has there been any futher explaination on how the back up cooling systems failed?

March 14, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
  26. Vince

I commend the Japanese people for their calm strength through each other – such a virtue!

March 14, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
  27. Barbara

kyoko, thanks for your post. Anderson, thanks for your show – you are always amazing.

March 14, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  28. Wes

All nuclear power plants have back up generators for shut down, if an plant loses power, you need to have the backup to continue to pump water to the cooling system, The question is how can a plant be designed with a earthquake that is 1000 times stronger than a 5.0 quake in the ring of fire?

March 14, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  29. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nichole – thank you for twitter info, i'll try and figure it out.

March 14, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  30. Benjamin

Shouldn't all the people working for CNN be wearing radiation badges just the x-ray techs wear in hospitals. I mean if something did happen it's better to be safe

March 14, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  31. Christopher

Contaminated water is likely collecting in the reactor building basement. They have the ability to clean it up through their filter systems prior to letting it outside of the buildings.

March 14, 2011 at 11:47 pm |