AC360 Thursday 8p

Are crews preparing to move to "Plan B" in the search for Flight 370? The latest tonight live on AC360.
March 14th, 2011

Cooper: Destruction is 'surreal'

Editor's note: Tune in to AC360° Monday night beginning at 10pm ET to get the latest from Anderson Cooper and CNN's team of correspondents and producers on the ground in Japan.

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Anderson Cooper • John King
  1. J Verity

Sad very very sad... but why did they build the reactors so close to the water...? They know it's an earthquake zone and with quakes comes tidal waves or tsunami's

March 15, 2011 at 12:55 am |
  2. Joe Marek

I have a friend who has worked on nuclear plant construction. He says with the wrong explosion and the wrong wind blowing the wrong way – it could be the end of Japan as a nation. That it could turn into an island of desolation. I would like to see a comment on this.

March 15, 2011 at 12:41 am |
  3. Stuart Cox

How dare you, Anderson Cooper. How dare you pick up a photo album from the debris and show on camera photos of a couple's wedding when they are very likely to be dead in the debris beneath your feet. Who gave you permission to do that! I am outraged. This is disgraceful journalism. How dare you!

March 15, 2011 at 12:00 am |
  4. R David Seward

I have heard nothing about giving everyone near the nuke plant a RAD meter.
    Simple way to know if they have been exposed and how much radiation they got other wise you don't know the amount of exposure. Give them out and save time money and health issues. It's only a sealed piece of film that is exposed when near radiation. ty

March 14, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
  5. Karen Zidlick

According to USAID's website: "teams arrived at Misawa Air Base, Japan on Sunday.... In addition, the USAID Disaster Assistance Response Team also includes four members with nuclear expertise from the U.S. Department of Energy, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). These four team members are currently in Tokyo discussing with their counterparts ways the U.S. might be able to assist Japan if needed."
    My questions are – Where are these four nuclear experts now? Have these U.S. experts been allowed access to the Fukushima Daiichi site? Is there any way to interview them to get their perspective on the situation currently unfolding at Fukushima Daiichi?

March 14, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  6. Ted Klammer

The show from Japan is fantastic.

March 14, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  7. roz williamd

Im praying for the people

March 14, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  8. roz williamd

Wish i was there to help....i am a inspring photo journalist...i wish i could help or work at your side

March 14, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  9. nancy tobin

Why are reporters putting themselves at risk of nuclear exposure by being in Japan right now. Unbelievable gambling.

March 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Tim

if they are cooling the reactore with salt water and it boils of it leaves a salt resude that i would think would hold even more heat
    am i wrong as it builds up

March 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Nelsons Mom

My Son lives in Tokyo and was on the subway when the earthquake happened. He has lived in Japan over 3yrs now. I was able to contact him via Facebook.. 30 minutes after the quake.
    I am a lucky MOM and I am sending all the prayers to all of Japan and all the Mothers looking for their Children.

March 14, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Jose Fernandez

First and fore most God Bless those lives that were lost in this unprecedented event in Japan. Lets show the people of the world that the United States of America is not only known for flexing the muscle. But also extending a hand, when and where ever needed in this world. As the economic times overwhelm a lot of Americans. This should be a time where the government also uses those whom are unemployed in this country that are willing and able to assist in this time in need for so many in Japan. Thanks and hope you had a good day! :)

March 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  13. Amber

I think it is important that the images from Japan,however surreal they are, keep being exposed to the public.

As a college journalism student I am very aware of the situation in Japan because I think it is imperative to know about current world events. It is disheartening though, when my peers have no idea about the devastation that has hit the country. Unless they have a personal connection to people in Japan, most people have no idea the damage the quake and tsunami has caused the country of Japan.

The images and videos that are coming from correspondents in Japan leave such an impact on the viewer; I think it is important that these keep being shown to raise public awareness, especially with the death toll rising and the trouble at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

March 14, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
  14. Annie Kate

The destruction is horrible and I just cannot imagine anyone still being alive under the debris field from the tsunami. It does seem like Japan is seeing and executing a quicker and more effective response than what we saw in Katrina and in Haiti. Even with all the devastation and how monumental it is, the final number of the dead will probably dwarf the effect of the damage.

March 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
  15. David Harrington

re: The earthquake in Japan. I'm looking at a tectonic plate map of the Pacific ocean. It appears to be one massive plate from the east coast of Asia, to North America's west coast. If that's correct, does the quake in Japan increase or decrease the risk of a quake in California? I heard in an earlier broadcast the the plate movement in Japan was significant, and had in fact moved the island 2.5 metres. Makes me wonder about the Pacific plate.
    David

March 14, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
  16. Rae1980

I'm following this story closely and I cannot believe the level of destruction the Japanese ppl have had to tolerate...our heart goes out to them...

March 14, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  17. Lin

Why in the world do I keep hearing that there is a shortage of water and food in Japan? That does not make any sense if there are helicopters, rescue personnel, and others coming into the country. Why can't food and water be coming into that country on a continuous, non stop basis? If there are so many international agencies ready and willing to help, why hasn't the most basic needs been met?

March 14, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  18. Shawna Watson

Anderson, PLEASE go inside and stop standing outside in the radiation!!! You are worrying all of us!!!!!!

March 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  19. michele carrick

my son who lives in southern california heard on a local news station that they are recommending that you avoid going out in the rain due to the nuclear diseaster in Japan. Can you comment on the reliability of this information and if there are actions the people in the US should be considering.
    Thanks