February 28th, 2011

Separating Facts from Fiction in Libya: Join the Live Chat

Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi faced reporters today and spun a story of what he says is happening in Libya. It's the same story his son, Saif,  has been trying to sell the world for days now. Tonight on 360° you will hear what they say is happening and then you will hear the facts of what is happening. We have the facts and evidence.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nina

It will be interesting to see what the Libyan people will do once they ousted Qaddafi. Prof. Ajami, excellent analysis... I also do not see the Libyan people allow Al-Qaeda take over after so many Libyans have died.

February 28, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Robin

I am amazed at the job that Anderson Cooper is doing. I am a FOX news junkie, but Andersons reporting is unbelievable on Libya and now I have switched to CNN. Keep up the good work Mr. Cooper.

February 28, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Kenya

Interesting insight from Professor Ajami and Bob Baer.

February 28, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Sue from Syracuse

The bloodshed in Libya is VERY hard to see. It is not something that we can relate to. It is unbelievable/shocking that a 'leader' of the people can do it to his own people.

February 28, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Janis

I've also heard pundits say that it will take the newly formed middle eastern nations years and years to catch up to the rest of the world after all these despots have oppressed them for so long.

I don't believe that. I don't think it's a linear thing. Just think, with the power of the internet, they can educate their children in the best schools and never leave their homes if they don't want to. Tribes in the desert can give their children the best educations and still live their traditional lifestyles. The possibilities are so exciting for them.

February 28, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Joy McKerr

All I can say is, thank God for people like Wes Clark who don't believe that the US has to send troops in to Libya to fix things. I was appalled at Wolf Blitzer today when he said, we are Americans, we can do whatever we want – we can unilaterally establish a no-fly zone – we don't need to ask anyone's permission. As for Mr. Wolfawitz, he is largely responsible for the Iraq fiasco because he believes in war. I admire President Obama for not jumping the gun and touting the normal bravado and I thank Wesley Clark for his comments on Obama's handling of this awful mess. My question is this: Where are the good assassins when you need them?

February 28, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Emily

@Jiji
    "I m libyan woman, I have no hope now,.."
    Glad to see you here tonight.
    That's awfully sad to read that you have no hope. What would give you some hope? Are you waiting to see some actions?

February 28, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Sue from Syracuse

Yes, Gadhafi is the fence that ate the garden. He ate the green and the dry.

February 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  9. Chi

Who loves Gadhafi? Unloveable!!! Way less charming than Santana. On drug. Leading a bloody regime. The least sexy man alive. Come on. No one loves him.

February 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  10. Martin Ann arbor, MI

I just want to say that as i child i lived in Libya for 5 years and the Libyans are great people. But i do thinnk that its ridiculous that the U.S. and the world are so concerned about Libya's unrest with only 100s of people killed but the genocide in Darfur did not get nearly enough concern. There thousands of people were slaughtered and no action from the world was taken. Its sad how much we are concerned about our oil fields.

February 28, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Sue from Syracuse

I agree with SOS Hillary Clinton.
    Honestly, Gadhafi has lost his 'mantle' and he never had a mandate to begin with. So, out!!!

February 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  12. Martin Ann arbor, MI

I disagree with giving the Libyans any weapons, they have enough weapons in their armories that are soviet made and still working. Lets not forget about what happened when the US gave weapons to the Taliban to fight the Soviets.

February 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Ron

Hard to believe that such an educated country has put up with such a murderous dictator as Gadaffi for so long.

February 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  14. khaled, Arizona

thanks prof!

February 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Emily

@Starr,
    "I agree with Gen Clark about "legal" backing"
    I think that it's something that's that would easily be gotten, however, the Obama Admin. has not made any moves to attempt to get it. What are they waiting for?

February 28, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Cessy - Chicago

good question, Anderson...who will replace Gadhafi? It doesnt seem like they have any kind of structure in Libya.

" he ate all the green...???"

February 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  17. lisal -canada

i am surprised at the number of migrant workers in the country – with that many people who actually live there why do they not use the resources (people) to tend to the resources (oil)

what is happening in libya is not genocide – it is extermination – he does not WANT any libyans to survive – then it is just a big old money-making piece of land with international contractors who can be manipulated and paid off

February 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, Ohio

There may not be a civil war going on in Libya, but if they are not careful this could be another Guernica.

February 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree all of you, White House must act take legal No-fly zone over this all cities in Libya........ It would be against No-Fly Zone.

February 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  20. Sue from Syracuse

I am unsure what 'no fly zone' would really accomplish. It is simply a first step to launching wars... and I totally oppose it.

February 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  21. steve

We don't want the US military to go into Lybia. Can you imagine what the Arab states, Iran , Iraq etc. would say to that? " They would claim it as another case of US colonialism." The Lybians need to free themselves and the world needs to be ready to assist the people as soon as possible.

February 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  22. Vincent Blas

Thanks for the coverage.

February 28, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Janis

I really don't like all this talk of American doing something – whatever it is. We aren't the 'grand poobahs' of the world. That shameful after seeing all these people die for their freedom. Give the Libyans credit and stop talking like we are the only ones that can save them – that's so negative and takes away from all they have accomplished (astonishing without military weapons) pretty arrogant of us. Obama is doing a good job standing back.

February 28, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Ahlem

I totally understand the feeling Jiji. I see my country go through its own turmoil and makes me worried sick. May God be with you!

February 28, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Nadeen H.

To Anderson Cooper and his entire team: Thank you so much for highlighting the oppression of the Libyan people. They are being slaughtered left and right by their wicked leader, and the very least we could do as Americans is follow their story (and pray for them, of course). Your show is outstanding, including your coverage of the Egyptian revolution. We cannot ignore the plight of these people. Thanks again, so much, for your continued coverage of the Libyan crisis.

February 28, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Emily

@Starr
    "Have Any of NATO or the UN declared a no fly zone yet?"
    At least France has called for one. (and they were once in control of that country!) I couldn't help but find it 'ironic' that they're the ones calling for it. (I do think others have also since that time.)

February 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Shawn Louisville Ky

the only problem that i have with just providing humanitarian aid is that it would wind up in the wrong hands and used for the wrong reasopns. that is why i believe that we need to send some type of military unit(s) in.

February 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  28. Sue from Syracuse

It would be good for the international community to recognize the alternate government as the INTERIM government, pending actual elections and establishing democracy.. that should be its charter.

February 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Norma Green

I agree with the Professor and Paul Wolfitiz? we need to stop worrying about sanctions and send the Libyan people guns and ammo to fight. We do look pretty weak dithering around about sanctions and putting a freeze on their bank acounts while thousands of people are dying.

February 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  30. derek

I agree with Gen. Clark. I would really like to see him in the Obama Administration as Secretary of Defense. He is very smart.

February 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Jiji

I m libyan woman, I have no hope now, and I can see some signs of civil war, Gaddafi destroyed his country and now he will lead us to civil war or international intervention, another Iraq that's wht I m seeing now. PLZ ghaddafi No one Loves u just leave leave plz

February 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Sue from Syracuse

Anderon, The lady who came forth to discuss with you was impressive.
    Notice – every one of the middle eastern states has had several vocal female voices. This is a great thing.

February 28, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Joe

Foreigners killing Libyans. That's an invasion.

February 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Sue from Syracuse

Anderson, Great reporting! Investigative reporting at its best!
    Wonder what Gaddhafi' are thinking! LOL.. may be they put some hallucinagens in each others drinks! The dictator sure looks off the grid.

February 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Have Any of NATO or the UN declared a no fly zone yet?

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    I agree, Obama seems to be moving very slowly, but i do believe that he needs the cooperation of the European Union, NATO & the UN.

I hope we can get supples to the Lybian people in Lybia & the Lybian refugees relief too.

I also hope that Obama andour allies will contact & discuss a regional government so that "legal" actions like No-Fly zone can be established.

I agree with Gen Clark about "legal" backing for troops and the ICC declaration of Gadhafi et al as war criminals.

Agree with Prof. Ajami re: Pres. Obama.
    Great and informative panel discussionl.

February 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes, I agree with you, I mean it was Moammar Gadhafi is not funny man, I don't think that he is not supposed joking own people......

February 28, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Nina

Well stated!! We already have 2 wars in the M.E. We do not want to be seen as invading! Wow... someone with some common sense! And I was beginning to give up hope.

February 28, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Ibrahim

First of all I want to thank Anderson Cooper for his meaningful coverage of the revolution in my homeland, Libya.
    I am an American citizen of Libyan descent and I took a stand against Gaddafi shortly after he kidnapped the legitimate government in 1969.

February 28, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Emily

I agree with what Mr. Wolfowitz has said.

February 28, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Janis

Libya is getting rid of him without our help. They are smarter than Gadhafi, they will do it,
    They do need medical supplies and doctors to help. The newest democracies in mid east are helping. I believe in all of them. Nations are forming before our eyes. This is of such historical importance.

They will all be great nations when they have won their indepedence from oppression.

February 28, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  41. lilly

A no fly zone is important so no militants go in libya in harm the protesters.

February 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Emily

It's great to see that Libyan people out protesting in public on that video.

February 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  43. Chi

Is the UN helping? No reason to tolerate a bloody regime.

February 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  44. Sharon Hastings

I do like that we are in a way attacking Gadhafi through his finances, sanctions, other pressures. However, not sure how successful this will be. We have to try though.

I am in favor of using various supports including economic and humanitarian support to the opposition. I do not think we should go so far as to arm the opposition or provide any of our troops. Moreover, many there don't want us there in an active way. They see what has happened to other countries where the U.S. has entered with troops.

February 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  45. S Gomez

It's incredible how you get to be so involved with all this history in the making Ac.

February 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  46. Gloria

Our government should help the Libyans by giving them the request that I have heard them repeatedly ask for which is a no fly zone. Other than that, they seem to want to handle the rest themselves and I respect that. Our government should too. I want to be proud that my country helped these brave people.

February 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Larissa
    How are the news reporters able to move around so freely when the citizens are afraid to step outside of their doors for fear of being killed?

Good point, I agree with you....... I felt that way, There is border line to protect our journalists or reporters keep out way their harm, Anderson got hurt as well.

February 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Kristie

He is talking so crazy how has he been able to run an entire country for so long?

February 28, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  49. Ahlem

Thanks General Clark for clarifying what a no fly zone implies.

February 28, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "There were reports Libyan jets bombed a city that was in protester hands. What is taking the US so long to establish a no-fly zone? Obama needs to act, not talk."

That should have been in place long ago. There really isn't any excuse for the delay. France has been calling for the no-fly zone since last Wednesday.

February 28, 2011 at 10:34 pm |