February 24th, 2011
  1. Rick Geldmyer Chicago

It is time for the US and our Euopean Allies to take action now. I am a little disappointed in Obama's weak response. It is time for action not rhetoric, as the couragous woman from Lybia stated on Anderson Cooper CNN

Sincerely, A freind for those fighting for justice and human rights

February 24, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  2. Fernando S

The effect that the freedom of speech allowed by social networks has had in the arab world is being noticed by many around the world. So much so, that it has initiated a social movement to protest the reelection of Nicaraguan president Daniel Ortega. The Constitution of Nicaragua, Article 147, which prohibits the incumbent president to be eligible for reelection. I understand that CNN en español is covering the story. The date set for this event is February 25th, 2011. I would recommend coverage of this event, which may spread to other countries in latin america.

February 24, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  3. Dave

On 19 August 1953, pro-Shah partisans – organized with $100,000 in CIA funds – finally appeared and marched out of south Tehran into the city center, where others joined in. Gangs with clubs, knives, and rocks controlled the streets, overturning Tudeh trucks and beating up anti-Shah activists. As Roosevelt was congratulating Zahedi in the basement of his hiding place, the new Prime Minister’s mobs burst in and carried him upstairs on their shoulders. That evening, Ambassador Henderson suggested to Ardashir that Mosaddegh not be harmed. Roosevelt gave Zahedi US$900,000 left from Operation Ajax funds.

February 24, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
  4. Gretchen Robinson

Tom Freeman says all that I would like to say. There's a yearning in people that cannot, ultimately, be denied. People want to get beyond feeling shame for their country of origin. They want to live in a country with respect for human dignity and worth. You see it in the crowds, hope and determination and a feeling of confidence and commitment that, together, enormous and necessary changes will be undertaken now.
    My husband and I grew up and lived most of our lives under the Cold War. We enduring 8 years of Bush's idiotic policies, his swagger and bullying. I'm inspired by these crowds of hopeful people. I'm inspired by the crowds of Americans in Wisconsin. GAR

February 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  5. amissi kakaka

My name is kakaka
    I live in South Africa
    Capricorn Park
    Muizenberg
    Cape town

I am very dissapointed for Protesters for disturbance Our Leader of Africans all Africans are behind COLONEL GADDAFI. They will never ever find Strongest leader like GADDAFI. ALL Africans they will die for OUR UNITED STATE OF AFRICA LEADER COL GADDAFI. GADDAFI Long live, GADDAFI Long live, GADDAFI Long live. ALLAH is with U. Alla is a judge not Human being. GADDAFI and BARRACK OBAMA GOD will protect them.

February 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  6. Tracy Cohen

Anderson, Thank You!!!!!!!! Don't let the information stop! I trust few national news broadcasts and rely on CNN for the "truth"?? Below is a message that I would like to get out there... i believe I am not alone in my thinking... Thanx!
    Mr. President! I am here, I vote every election, I am DEMOCRAT! The evidence is clear, now is the moment! Our Country has a once in a decade opportunity to invite the World to join us in Democracy! Allies have ensured our resource supplies around the world. But really, is that the way that the USA wants to continue doing business? IF, a big if, we were to concentrate all the energy, dollars and personnel into OUR Country, instead of trying to retain our stranglehold on the World shipping lanes... Well you see where I am headed with this. I am behind you so far... but would love to see you capitalize on this incredible opportunity! SPEAK UP FOR DEMOCRACY!! ENCOURAGE THE COUNTRIES! Don't be afraid of the consequences, they will handle themselves! Sincerely, Tracy Miller Cohen

February 24, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
  7. Patricia Taylor

Thank you! Finally we are making the connection between big oil and big Middle East and global corruption. It's the tip of the iceberg but at least there is discussion. I lived in Saudi and traveled throughout the M.E. in the late 70s and early 80s. No one would believe my stories about my life there and the lack of human rights, especially for women. I wrote my book, "Unveilings, A Desert Journey" just to tell my stories in print. Finally, the world sees the truth. Now...can we reopen closed American factories to manufacture solar panels and install solar panels on every rooftop in America (and the world)? I'd like to start with my house.

February 24, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  8. Kerkebet

I can't help but notice how CNN is covering the crisis in Libya nonstop while totally ignoring that of Djibouti and Yemen. Could it be because of the warm relationship US enjoys with the latter governments? As long as it continues to report events as prescribed by government officials, CNN loses its credibility as been an independent news media. Remember, injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere. People would also like to know how Djiboutians and yemenis are being treated by these two brutal dictators.

February 24, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  9. Tania Khan

Hi,

I have been following the Middle East uprising since it begun. Every day through AC360 🙂 I watch it every day and hope that this will spark something in my country Pakistan. Boy! Are the people here desperate for change. We need to stop wishing for change in silence and give a voice to it. Although, we don’t have decades of suffering but we are spiraling down real fast and its time we spoke today to avoid regret tomorrow.

Thanks Anderson, love your work 🙂

February 24, 2011 at 6:41 am |
  10. wes sears

I am an ex military man. I look at the world through reasonable eyes. Skeptical as I may be, something resonates with this movement. Let us all hope that the young people of these embattled nations choose a path of freedom and reform that will ensure economic prosperity for them, and their sons and daughters.

February 24, 2011 at 3:52 am |
  11. Katherine Day

Lived in the middle east for 8 years. Loved the people. Unfortunately the "NEWS" protrays political stagma for the people over there and not individual democratic support for generations of what they are fighting for. (As we in the western world believe is supposably so wonderful.) We are have become insecure of our own political trust and promises. Our own people are in dire straits, but it is impossible for our own support team to admit, it is way better to look good on the NEWS then it is to show our own front door. Because the people are innocent and the politics is "corrupt" the whole world is looking like TV

February 24, 2011 at 3:00 am |
  12. ABBAS AL-HUSAINY

In the middle east unresting area the long time dream looks like comes true. The army in Egypt & Libya did great rule showed that most of the middle east regimes are controlling peoples with the hidden fear.

ABBAS AL-HUSAINY
    Poet & Writer
    Phoenix, AZ

February 24, 2011 at 2:41 am |
  13. Carrie Capuchino

OMG! I am so ashamed as an intelligent individual to watch all these average Arab people fighting to throw out these regimes that our politicians have been manipulating with for oil. As if our Politics were our parents, oil was our milk and we ( middle class ) were the spoiled children who couldn't be bother with the details as long as we got it! But I pray that now with so many abused middle east people crying out for help & change that more of us in the west will grow up and become more politically conscious and use our moral conscious to stand behind their right to choose change!
    I know so many people complain that we have enough problems in our own country – true – I'm not saying we have to fight their Devils for them – But I definitely believe it is wrong to shake hands with their Devils no matter what he offers us!
    Thank you Mr. Cooper for educating me in world social facts – keep it up!

February 24, 2011 at 2:18 am |
  14. Maurice

I hear a great deal of oil related – Libya related jitters but I never hear the following 3 terms together – Canada – oil – security. Huh?

February 24, 2011 at 2:16 am |
  15. Pierre-Hugues Archambault

Friedman is too pessimistic when he considers Arabic countries «out of »History » for the last decades.
    It's also an ethnocentric point of view.
    To understand one of the sream of the wind of democracy and freedom wich is sweeping dictatorships in Arabic countries has to read President Obama's speech at the Cairo University given the 4th of June 2009.
    The Sincerity of his words have been heard by millions of young educated Arabic peoples and Hope for change and Yes we Can started to grow as seeds in their mind.
    Some started to understand Western World is not Evil fighting against Islam. Some started to believe USA is not anymore an imperialist selfish superpower supporting Dictators for his own interests.
    The coward Tunisian dictator left peacefuly and quickly. USA did not support him. The powerfull and strong Egyptian dictator, usually supported by USA, left almost as peacefuly and quickly. Because USA did not support him anymore.
    The crazy Libyan dictator will kill as much people he could before leaving. USA will be wise and not pushing him to much because he will use it to make the Evil USA responsible for his killings.
    The World knows Gadhafi and wants his to leave.

Now President of USA is doing exactly what he said in his speech.

God bless him and God bless America

A Canadian Friend

February 24, 2011 at 2:08 am |
  16. Mike Stoner

I'm from Canada, and our Government has their own views and actions on the crisis in the Middle East, but I believe that Mr Friedman says the words that are to the point. As long and the pumps are running, and don't piss off the Israelis, knock yourselves out. I realize what the situation that the Arab v. Israeli is about, and wish the best in the peace process, people deserve the freedom(s) that we in North America have. Bravo to Mr Friedman for having the stones to say what may be a very unpopular and divisive fact.

February 24, 2011 at 1:56 am |
  17. Omar

Yes ,for the first time in my life ,I am proud to be arabic ,yes I am free .

February 24, 2011 at 1:53 am |
  18. Dave

In his Senate Intelligence Committee statement, Porter Goss described the status of Libya as a success story in nonproliferation[2] Goss said that Libya, by the end of 2004, had taken a number of significant steps it had promised:

Dismantling key elements of its nuclear weapons program and opened itself to the IAEA.
    Giving up some key chemical warfare assets and opened its former CW program to international scrutiny.The US continues to work with Libya to clarify some discrepancies in the declaration.

Sound familiar!?

February 24, 2011 at 1:12 am |
  19. Shahid

Mr. Cooper, i listened to your conversation with friedman tonight in disgust that you would evily suggest that someone in Mr.Gadhafi's circle may "kill him" was very inappropiate and unprofessional to say the least!! You should be more careful in your choice of wording!

February 24, 2011 at 1:12 am |