AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
February 22nd, 2011

Getting Americans Out of Libya: Join the Live Chat

The U.S. State Department will attempt to evacuate Americans out of Libya tomorrow on a chartered ferry. We have the breaking details. Plus, an eyewitness to the uprising risks his life to speak out and talk on camera. And, four Americans are killed by pirates at sea.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Patricia

@Debra. My thoughts are also with you and your sister and all the Americans trying to leave. Although I was in Libya when Reagan order all Americans out the first time, and it was a tense time then, but this is different. At that time nothing went on in the counrtry unless Muammar ordered it. Now, I'm afraid things are a bit more chaotic. Anyway, I have faith that everyone will get out o.k. That has always gotten me through times like this.

February 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Ranya

Gaddafi is on drugs, not medications. He's a sick murderer!

February 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Eric and Angie DeBolt

Patricia

Thank you, all 24 adults plus 2 children are going to the dock in a couple of hours. They are going on a bus that they have privately chartered. All we can do is prey

February 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Claude Perron

Praying for the safety of my classmate husband who is in east Libya, and hoping he can get out of there to be with is family in good old Canada

February 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Starr, formerly known as vincent, "This man has been crazy & a Terrorist for a long, long time."

That is why I can't understand why the U.S. would "normalize relations" with Libya.

February 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  6. debra chestnut

there are NO marines attached to the american embassy in tripoli, libya

February 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  7. v. gerrard, Dublin

Some experts are also say he still has chemical weapons from the bad old days before Bush took him in from the cold & may in the last throes use them on his people & on tourists/foreigners.

February 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Nina

Jo Ann, Ohio
    Good trade negotiations for oil with Libya is the cause for US's involvement.

February 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Emily

lisal -canada
    "who is guarding the oil wells?"

That a great question!

February 22, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Sue R. Canton MI.

@JoAnn,Ohio,,,I agree with you.I've been feeling like the U.S. should have evacuated Americans a long time ago. If anything those that could have left a while ago should have done so.

February 22, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@JoAnn – re: evacuating Americans.

Yes, i wonder why Americans all over the region have Not been evaccuated day ago!

I don't think Gadhafi is on drugs, i thinkhe is truly mentally ill and has been for a long time.
    This is Not the first time that is affect has been "dillusional". Look back to the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc.
    This man has been crazy & a Terrorist for a long, long time.

February 22, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  12. Anna

The middle east is stirring. I feel like 2011 is going to be a big year of changes for many countries. Are these next generations going to make the world better or worse and at what cost?

February 22, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  13. janis

I'm sure that's why his Ukranian nurse is so important to him – it's what's in her little black bag. If he's a junkie, his dealer/nurse is probably running the country in a backseat sort of way.

February 22, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  14. Kate from Canada

How can our governments reason with this madman? They can ask him to step down, but how without using violence can they make a difference. Democracy and reasoning require a reasonable and logical person to deal with. That clearly isn't this guy. That being said I think it is the duty of our governments to out pressure on this man and try and make him see reason.

February 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  15. Sharif

Khaddafi is dead man walking right now. It's a matter of hours before this lunatic is gone. I just hope he does not do something crazy as a last desperate act like unleashing some missiles or chemicals on the libyan people.

February 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  16. lilly

@ mike

I always thought we got more than just 2%,
    have we always gotten this much? or did it just start after the sanctions ended during the bush era?

February 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Nina

Drugs do Not make a killer. You already have that quality within you and the drugs only bring it out. Qaddafi is a psychopath! He is coming apart because of the stress of breaking his delusion! He probably thinks he is almost a God!

February 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Pete, "Don't forget the U.S. re established normal relationship/opened embassy just a few short years ago."

And that was a mistake. Libya's human rights record is atrocious.

February 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Eric

While technology has sparked and organized many of the revolutions that have recently taken place in the Arab world, the one problem is that it takes the place of a leader for the revolution. Once the revolution is over, there will be no leader to continue the cause and lead the people once the old regime is toppled. Egypt has its military, America had George Washington, but who do these other countries have? Will there be a power vacuum, chaos, or possibly an opportunity for another oppressive regime?

February 22, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  20. Barb

This "man" has been a brutal dictator for 42 years. I would not count on this being his demise. He has a large military that is still leaning towards him. He also has a tribe in Egypt that he visits and supplies with money.
    He could bring those men to help him. We will see if the country of Egypt allows these men to enter Libya. You never count out a crazy man and how his mind works. This has been going on now for 42 years!!!!!!!!!! The people around him run the country and we will see what happens. If this revolution does not happen, God help the people of Libya.

February 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Lori

@Kenya & @Lilly

Our officials have to make careful statements due to oil and many other things.

February 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  22. lisal -canada

who is guarding the oil wells? one would have to assume that whoever controls the oil control the money and will ultimately control the country in the future

February 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Deanna

Here's hoping that Americans in these places are okay and get to safer grounds soon.

February 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  24. molly

@nancy in Oregon, regarding martyrs, I think in the minds of individuals like Gadhafi, the ones they "take with them" are "collateral damage". He will perceive himself as the martyr though.

February 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, Ohio

@lilly, "Does anyone think that the reason our government is taking forever on making a statement is because we are to dependent on oil?"

I don't think so. The Saudis said that they would make up the oil we would lose from Libya. However, I think the oil companies will take advantage of this situation because they are already raising prices "in anticipation" of the loss of oil from Libya. They are such crooks!

February 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  26. Eric and Angie DeBolt

I am being told The communication from the embassy to Americans in Tripoli has not been very good.

February 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  27. Christoph

I hope this comment gets through, but i want to say as a 22 year old college student who is glued to the tele watching this hell on earth event going on in the same earth which we share, that how thankful I am to be an American. We are witnessing an event which in 200 years from now we will be proud of because I beleive there will be a world democracy and peace. Thank you to our grandfathers and freedom activists which have fought for us a lifetime ago so we don't have to uproot as the Libyans are. May God & Allah bring a swift and peaceful end to this tyranny as soon as possible.

February 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  28. janis

I am truely amazed at what these people have accomplished without military weapons.

You can blind helicopter pilots with mirrors – lots of them would make them turn back I bet.

February 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Michelina

I am praying that all of the Americans get out safely. My concern is that getting to the docks through the uprising will prove difficult and dangerous at this point. They should have pressed a sense of urgency before now.

February 22, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Patricia

@ Eric and Angie. My thoughts are with you for the safety of your in-laws. I lived in Libya from 1977 until 1982 and two of my children went to the school. I'm sure the Marines from the Embassy will be able to get the Americans safely to the boat or the airport. The airport is farther away, so if the boat is allowed to dock, that would be faster and easier since it is downtown.

February 22, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  31. jared

Sad world we live in. Is peace and unity really impossible?...I guess only until freedom is a viable right. Democracy is only American.

February 22, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  32. Nina

@ Emily
    I think that it's great that the people are standing up to Qaddafi, however, I worry about who would fill that vacuum that he would leave, if he did in fact leave.

It could not be worse than Qaddafi as he has sent mercenaries to kill his people. Lets face it, that is as bad as it can get! And yes, it will be interesting. I hope it will not be like Iran.

February 22, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  33. Pete

I've met with Ghadafi. He's not crazy. I tend to believe his son that they'll stay until the last bullet. Your coverage is excellent. Don't forget the U.S. re established normal relationship/opened embassy just a few short years ago.

February 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  34. debra chestnut

there are 23 people at the school compound at the american embassy in tripoli, libya.... there is at this time NO plan to get them out of the country... my sister is among them... there are 2 children also among them.... I understand the diplomats have had a plan to be evacuated... the oil companies also a plan to evacuate.. these teachers are on their own....they have no food... if they can't get out tomorrow.... they are going to attempt to find and pay soldiers to get them across the desert to tunisia

February 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  35. sam

Anderson, you hit the nail on the head.. The country is rich but his investment vehicle takes all the money!! there is propaganda out there that he takes care of his people... thats a lie and a big lie!! he takes care of his crazy sons and cronies not the ordinary libyans!!

February 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Kate from Canada

Please let the military defect from their crazy leader. That's the only way that the citizens can win. These brave people have proved that they are willing to face death in order to make changes. Please, please let them stop the bombings.

February 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Deanna

Wow history in the making. Moftah, happy to speak with some freedom:)

February 22, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  38. Eric and Angie DeBolt

Patricia if you are talking about the American School of Tripoli, my in laws teach there at it has been closed since Friday, Teachers are still trying to get out, all students left Friday

February 22, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  39. Kenya

@Lilly

we are afraid to make demands from our suppliers"

I so agree with you.

February 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  40. kase

Many prayers go out to everyone in Tripoli. This is an example of how we all need to join together and protect the people. Good Luck to all Americans getting out.

February 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Ranya

@lilly
    I think America is worried about the change in the middle east and what might come out now that we've managed dealing with dictators.

February 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Deanna

Wow history in the making. Moftah happy to speak with so e freedom.:)

February 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Emily

@Nina,
    "I honor and have so much respect for all these people."

February 22, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Kate from Canada

I'm glad that our governments our evacuating our citizens. But I am so scared for the citizens of Libya. They are being bombed! How can they peacefully fight that kind of violence? Best wishes to those in Libya. I hope that our citizens get out safely and I hope that the citizens of Libya will be safe and that the violence will stop.

February 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Sue R. Canton MI., "I wonder if all the Americans have recieved the notice to report to Tripoli @ 10AM?"

With the escalating protests in Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Yemen and others, I think the U.S. should have evacuated Americans from questionable places like Libya a long time ago.

February 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  46. S tarr, formerly known as vincent

God bless Mufta and his people. Amazing courage!

Mufta is absolutely right! Gadhafi Is CRAZY!

He was a crazy Terrorist since 1970's. The whole world has known this.

His son, several years ago gave the West hope, when he negotiated the turn over of nuclear and destructive weapons. Trust was misplaced.

Mufta – ENjoy your Freedom! You have earned it!
    As well as all of your people.

February 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  47. sam

Anderson, i am from Africa, living in the states! you make the world proud!! The way you deliver the voices of the people in the unforgotten corners of the world!! i am proud of your reporting and all you do!!

February 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Michael formely of the USMC_charlotte

@lilly, we only get 2% from them i don't believe that to be an issue.

February 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Monica M. Williams

Thanks for guarding Moftah's identity even though he's not afraid. There is a price for freedom. I hope his life does not become the high stakes fee.

Thanks for keeping us all informed Anderson : )

February 22, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Why is Obama being so invisible during this historic time and especially today when it seems Americans are being potentially targeted by Khadafi? Sec. of State Clinton is speaking but where is our President?

I've been asking that for 2 years.

February 22, 2011 at 10:23 pm |