February 21st, 2011

Libya On the Brink: Join the Live Chat

We have breaking news on the the death and disorder in Libya. We've got the first western correspondent on the ground, inside Libya. Also, an exclusive with Barbara Walters, who's interviewed Moammar Gadhafi several times and we'll talk with a young woman trapped in Tripoli, who is risking her life to talk to us. She wants the world to know what she's seeing.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Amber Patterson

As an American I want to see peace and fairness prevail in every part of the world but must we police every revolution and problem. We have our own serious issues here
    (need I list them?). We are stretched as it is. Where are the other peace loving countries, especially the fellow Middle Eastern and African leaders. why is the burden constantly placed Obama and the USA?

February 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  2. roger forbes

I feel for the people living in dictatorships but democracy and capitalism leads to no better economic conditions seeing that its corporations that have created all of these conditions for them as well as us in north america.

February 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Margaret

My dad worked in Libya when was in high school in 1976. Gadhafi was crazy then and he has just gotten crazier and more dangerous with time. I hope the Libyan people stay strong.

February 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "We are either for human rights or we are not."
    It's true! I also don't understand why President's let these dictators get away. The likes of Qaddafi in '86, and Saddam Hussein by Bush Sr.; then Osama bin Laden by Bush Jr., who really had him cornered unlike Clinton and then turned his attention to Saddam Hussein.

February 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  5. mark ellery

If ever the western world has to make a stand it is now. Watching these people in libya fighting simple rights breaks my heart. Libyans are dying looking for help and we the "free" are watching it like its just another reality tv show.

February 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Mohammed

Alqazafi is the worst dictator living on earth today he does not deserve to live on this planet.

February 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Lois

By the time the UN takes up the Libya issue tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. in New York it may be too late (4:00 p.m. in Libya). It has been so frustrating that all hell was breaking loose in Libya over a 3-day holiday weekend and it was so hard to get the US to pay attention!

February 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Razan Elharezi

As a fellow libyan american Im scared for my fellow libyans that are fighting for their freedom. I have been keeping in touch with all family friends back home. To only hear things are getting worst, girls are scared of statements they have made on facebook or twitter about Qaddafi. People are getting killed left and right, and the world does not know. Qadaffi will kill all of Libya just so he wont lose. All we ask is for President Obama to hear our voices. We have done protest in front of the White House and will continue to try to get the world to notice what is going on. All we ask if that the UN and President Obama to make a statement and give the people of Libya some hope. It can not go on like this, something must be done!

February 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Vincent Blas

Qaddafi must go.

February 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Naoufal khaldi

America should be on the side of the people and not the regime killing them. The U.S should not worry about kadhafi's successor or oil prices but about the people dying asking for freedom.

February 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  11. Mabelle, USA, Florida

To all those fighting for their freedom
    We see you, we hear you and we're praying for you. Our hearts are breaking.

February 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Laffie

I am a libyan american and demand that Obama make a statement on what is going on in libya. We need Obama to tell Gadaffi and his regime to leave.

February 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Najla

I am a proud Libyan American. My heart is broken at the loss of all of the innocent lives in Libya. Gaddafi is committing Genocide against the Libyan people, and the world is silent, watching. Please urge the US Government to intervene. Please help save the innocent Libyan people. Thank you for your coverage.

February 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  14. evelyne

I heard his son speack last night, and the hand gestures were enough to convince me he was evil

February 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Andreh Baghdasarians

I am an iranian american, my heart is hurting to see what's going on in the arab world, please I am a U.S veteran president Obama help these people I myself am willing to go and fight the libyan dictatorship, Mr. President don't just sit and watch.

February 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  16. johnnyB Fort McMurray, Canada

So it sounds like, from the reports on your program tonight, that the military is on the side of the people...the machine gun firing in the city is by head hunters from other states/countries. If the military is on the side of the people, what exactly are they doing to STOP the slaughter of the citizens they are there to protect?

February 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Maria

I cannot believe he set those poor soldiers on fire b/c they would not shoot at their own people – what an unspeakable monster! Fighter-jets at attack?? What are we in the middle ages. I have high hopes for the UN Council meeting tomorrow morning. This is beyond all expectations.

February 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Joe

This man has proved to the world several times that he is a madman...it's time for him to go. A small international contingent of spec ops sent in to take him out would do just fine.

February 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Derek

This is sickening. To many innocent people in Libya are in harms way. This world is headed toward calamity unseen never before man.

February 21, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Ethan

Anderson, what can we/you do to get Obama to stand for freedom? Why wont he send a powerful message to the people of Lybia that America is with them and with freedom. People are being slaughtered like animals! Will you call on Obama to speak out strongly about this and to say America is with the Lybian people. because I am and so many other are too. Great job Anderson. You are doing an amazing job with this.

21. Sumaya

Thank you for that phone call. Its an eye opener to have a live confirmation of the battle that is going on in there. She spoke the truth Civil war will not break out there. "We are all one" true words.

22. herman

what that woman just told really emotionally hurt
    me ,what a terrible situation .

best hopes for the people in Libya

23. kyle simpson

We took the country from the Iraqis. We can give the country to the Libyans.

February 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Seong (pronounced "song")

Thank you, Mr. Cooper, for covering this atrocity. There aren't nearly enough media attention on this issue, and I hope that your coverage will educate and influence the American public.

I realize that this may be a delicate balancing act for Obama's administration regarding his alliances in the Arab world; however, are the lives of our fellow lovers of freedom and democracy that dispensable for us that we will not even stand in solidarity?

25. Steffen

Hi Anderson, can you please ask your guests who do the people of Libya want in place of Qaddafi or his son? Tony Blair said after revolutions normally comes a vacuum, how is this prevented in Libya if there isn't a good replacement and quickly?

26. S tarr, formerly known as vincent

I forgot to give recognition to Ben W., whose venture in Lybia is so courageous.

Was Ben invited? I can only imagine how much danger he faces.
    God bless & keep you safe Ben. I genuinely appreciate your dedication to reporting and getting the truth to us.

27. Eleanor Ruby Moon

Is there no practical way to ensure Obama does what he needs to do to IMMEDIATELY impact Libya? They are sitting ducks waiting for an aerial attack which is certain to be coming and from which very few can survive?

Inaction, from this point forward, carries responsibility with it, to my way of thinking.

Commenting is no longer useful. Action is required.

28. Tahar

Thank you so much Anderson for covering the middle east revolution we feel your the only voice we have . Please consider talking about morocco as well. The rigim there is as bad as the others but most american do not hear about it .

29. Paula, Colorado

It's good to hear the UN is meeting on Libya–the critical events there have moved forward so quickly.

30. layal

Is making a statement for Kadafi to leave to much to ask from Obama?
    This is genocide that is happening and the west and the rest of the world is just watching it unfold. This disgusting leader must leave this country and stop murdering his own people, and the US needs to back the country up.

31. Michael Haley

ask Ajami, why not send in the US Airforce, let's really help stop the carnage!!!!

32. Joe

As a Canadian, I just want to say in the strongest possible way: any planes, helicopters, balloons, frizbees, or birds that are bombing unarmed civilians, blast them out of the sky. Then find Gaddafi and his gang of mass murderers, and feed them to the Libyan people!

33. Rag

President Obama needs to show leadership NOW. I am not sure why he is not taking a stand yet to publicly condemn whats going on in Libya. He should do it before the UN.
    Also, I wonder how much o f the middle-east uprisings are being shown in China – which is the next uprising to unleash sooner than later (I hope).

34. Nura

Thank you Anderson for continuing your coverage on Libya. It is maddening to know that my people are being slaughtered and hardly anyone in the world seems to notice. The brave woman with whom you just spoke was right when she said that Gaddafi will not stop until every single Libyan is dead. Where is the rest of the world to stop him???

February 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Manoj John

Good.

Ben Wedeman is the citizen of the world.

Gaddafi gone.

February 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Brennan

the people just need a voice to reach out for help! WE IN AMERICA should do something!!

February 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  37. Sara Hassan

Hi Anderson,

I agree with that Girl from Libya you just had live on the air. President Obama Should Have a press conference Tuesday morning to condemn the Violence and Genocide Qaddafi Has done. And so should all world leaders, and not sit back while people are dying.

February 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Linda Heslegrave

Anderson,
    The world is not sitting on the fence, as you have just said on the show. The Canadian Prime Minister, Mr. Harper, said earlier today that the actions of the Libyan leader are "outrageous" and that he must stop. It's pretty clear where Canada stands on this issue.

February 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Janis

If US or any country intervens – they must leave aftwards immediately. Don't leave one tank, plane or advisor. Libyans can do it after the genocide stops. Leave it their country or you will just create the old resentments.

February 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Nina

@Jo Ann, Ohio

I agree. Capitalism does not care what governments they prop-up and how they treat their people as long as they make a profit!

February 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  41. Shane

@ Jo Ann "The United States shares some of the blame for supporting dictators and regimes that violate human rights."

I agree, It's a shame that a natural resource can be put ahead of human lives

February 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Abdul

Keep up the coverage. Libya, Egypt, Tunisia, Bahrain, all of the oppressed people need heroes like you.

February 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Emily

Does the Libyan Ambassador have all of his family with him in the US? If not, I bet that he's saying that he is still with Qaddafi so that they will be safe. (I don't think that he could 'be with the people freely, when he's Qaddafi's person; & likely has family in Libya)

February 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Nicole Netherlands

@Jo Ann "The United States shares some of the blame for supporting dictators and regimes that violate human rights"

I think we all do share the blame, as long as we could drive our cars and make out plastics..
    It's all about the oil...

February 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Ahmed

HELP LIBYA, HElP
    you helped us with our revolution in Egypt, Help Libya, I feel so helpless and I'm In Cairo, If the media concentrated on the issue we can coordinate and may be our army will get involved, all of Egypt is with Libya but our army is dispatched all over our cities to protect the cities after the old regime was ousted, which is not the main job for an army, but who knows, a NATO effort with Egypt and Tunisia may be, something, anything, I can't say it could've been you, but it could've been me

February 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Noorain Chaudhry

If we all do not unite together to stop a genocide in the making, then no one shall help us when it happens to us. We have to stand up against these evils, set aside our differences, and do the RIGHT thing.

February 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Stephanie

It breaks my heart to hear people talk about how only hearing Obama declare Gadhafi should leave Libya will get the rest of the world to support the protesters. While I agree he should make that declaration, I wish the rest of the world leaders would see these atrocities and act on their own, without checking to see if the rest of the world will back them.

February 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Hoda Cibani

The WORLD is watching, and we will quickly find out where these politicians stand... Thank you Anderson!

February 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Lilarose in Oregon

I would like to see the western countries fly over Libya and destroy Gadahfi's planes and helicopters so he can't use them against his people. Why would that be hard to do????

February 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Janis

Gahdafi does have his weaknesses.

His Ukranian nurse and his vanity.

Protesters should appeal to his nurse to convince him to stop the brutality.

Chant her name until her ears ring.

February 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |