February 21st, 2011

Libya On the Brink: Join the Live Chat

We have breaking news on the the death and disorder in Libya. We've got the first western correspondent on the ground, inside Libya. Also, an exclusive with Barbara Walters, who's interviewed Moammar Gadhafi several times and we'll talk with a young woman trapped in Tripoli, who is risking her life to talk to us. She wants the world to know what she's seeing.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. rob

marines have already been to tripoli will they be going for a second trip

February 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  2. S tarr, formerly known as vincent

Again, i stand in Awe of the courage of the Lybian people!

@JoAnn – your post is so right that Gadhafi and the Pres. of Iran have a lot in common – I totally agree!

Again the Professor educates us well. It's time for Obama to Act!

God bless ALL of the defectors from the gov., they are also courageous.

February 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Emily, "Qaddafi should have been gone then."

I agree. I think the American people should start to demand that our government stop looking the other way. We are either for human rights or we are not. We need to take a close look at the other questionable regimes the U.S. supports for political reasons.

February 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Edward

It appears that Kadhafi has staged a photo op and has fled the city to his traditional clan/tribe base of support to the west of the city and has ordered his security forces to kill all protestors in Tripoli.

According to the former Libyian deputy ambassador to the UN, "he's "expecting genocide in Tripoli.'

"The mass killing has reached a stage where no one can stay silent," Ibrahim Dabbaski said.

If this is so why doe the United States not position guide missile cruisers with Air Denfense Missiles off the coast of Tripoli in international waters and provide AIr Defense for the protestors from a distance?

February 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Lori

I doubt that President Obama will tell Gadahfi to leave Libya.

February 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Fares

It is sad what is going on... My father is from Libya, but we are all us citizens... It's time for Obama to speak up... It will help out the Libyan people...we are in contact with our family in tripoli through skype and everyone is scared of what he is doing to his own people

February 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr,
    I agree....... There are horrible image I have seen this video..... That is horrible violence right now.

February 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Nina

@S tarr, formerly known as vincent
    @Nina – i am with you.
    My most sincere condolences to ALL who have sacrificed their lives to change the brutal gov. in Lybia.

The Libyan protesters are so courageous! I have so much respect for these people and their willingness to die.

February 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It sounds like a mad man loosing control!

February 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Janis

Even though it's difficult to watch the brutality, I know Libya has to do it themselves to own their revolution and subsequent democracy. The end will be the respect of the world, recognition as a legitimate government of the people and so much more pride in their country. However, geneocide is not an option for any leader of any country that deserves to remain a leader.

Be strong Libya! You can do this. Gadhafi will go.

February 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Kate

Thanks again, Anderson. The world needs to hear what is happening. As hard as it is to listen to at least those who are suffering know we are listening and we are praying for them.

February 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Jim Overend

I am in constant contact with friends living in Tripoli. Occasionally I can get through on their cell phones, always I can communicate through MSN Live. Interested??

February 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  12. lisal -canada

this situation is another one that seems to evolve and change every few hours – the gadhafi empire is doing itself in – Colonel Qadhafi will ultimately fall upon his own sword

February 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Sharon Hastings

I hope Ben Wedeman will be safe. I'm not surprised that CNN's journalist is the first there.

February 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Lori

What a very sad situation. It is suprising that the Libyan people did not kick out Gadahfi sooner.

February 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, Ohio

The United States shares some of the blame for supporting dictators and regimes that violate human rights.

February 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina,
    I agree with you.... That is so big dangerous in Libya right now........ My heart breaking right now. 😦

February 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Emily

@o Ann, Ohio
    "Sadly, it took 40 years and a revolution to get the U.S. to admit that Qaddafi is a tyrant."

Hi Jo Ann. I don't understand why he wasn't taken out by Reagan years ago! I think it was in 1986 that he bombed Libya. Qaddafi should have been gone then. The people of Libya should have been freed at that time.

February 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What a sad mess in Lydia! There are no peace and no justice!

February 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Nina

The Libyan woman is so courageous to bring us this information. Please be safe! You honor your people.

February 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Kenya

"Blood will flow" Those are threatening words of a murderer. How Saif Gadhafi could sit there and talk like that is beyond me.

February 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Please tell Ben, Don't do it...... Be careful, Keep safe for us and our heart goes to you....... Get out!

February 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, Ohio

A "dangerous clown" indeed. Qaddafi and Ahmadinejad have a lot in common.

February 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Shane

Hello,
    I have been following a lot of people on the ground in Libya via twitter and let me tell you what you have seen so far in the media isn't even the half of it. These brave people need help in any way we can. Medical supplies and blood is in great demand

February 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  24. S tarr, formerly known as vincent

@Nina – again we agree.

I believe Gadhafi a scociopath, narcissist and clearly just CRazy!

February 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Joe

Hey! Look at Gaddafi with his umbrella hiding from your spy satellites! 😀

February 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Janis

I wish the UN had more clout when it comes to genocide. I heard that they did have a referndum in the works. It kind of makes me angry that it's taken so long. Kind of like the Magna Carta 2.0! Only 900 years late...

February 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Lori

Hi Anderson! Hi Everyone. Good evening.

February 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  28. lilly

Gadhafi is killing his people and the only thing he worries about is the rain? no wonder the people of Lybia want him out!
    I pray and hope for the people of Libya,

February 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Emily

Where did Qaddafi & the rest there in Libya get all their weapons? There's been so much gun-fire. I don't think they get that comes from the US.

February 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, Betty Ann, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, others and my friend Facebook/Twitter Bloggers!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Hope you have great weekend! 🙂
    Happy Monday night!!!

Wow!!!!!! There are breaking news, More violence in Libya right now...... I am surprised that Ben Wedeman is in Libya first time.

February 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  31. S tarr, formerly known as vincent

@Nina – i am with you.

February 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  32. CAROLYNJ

hello..ANDERSON, AND 360 STAFF.

February 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Nina

Moammar Gadhafi’s nefarious regime ordered the fighters to fire on and kill his own people! Such a tragedy. My condolences to those families affected.

Thank you to those fighter pilots who would Not fire on their own people!

February 21, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Nicole Netherlands

Good Evening Anderson, AC360 Team, Starr, Emily, Jo Ann, Megan, Sharon, Heather, Gloria, Mike, Karyn, everyone!

This is not Egypt, seen some truly horrific photo´s on the internet.
    Only the torso´s of people
    List of medicine needed, posted on twitter.

OMG Ben is there!

February 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Emily, "Sounds like things in Libya are extremely tense and are heading to a stand off."

Hi Emily, Sadly, it took 40 years and a revolution to get the U.S. to admit that Qaddafi is a tyrant. That photo of Obama shaking his hand always gave me the creeps.

February 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Stephanie

It's so discouraging to hear him completely dismiss those who have already been killed and the fact that they have openly said to stop the protests "at all costs," clearly implying more WILL die at the hands of the government.

February 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Emily

I heard that Ben Wedeman was allowed entry. I hope that he's safe there in Libya.

February 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Now it's Libya's turn but I'm really scared about what it's costing those poor people who are being killed and injured. It must be pretty serious if Gadhafi is destroying his own air bases and ammunitions there so they won't fall into the hands of the protestors.

February 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Nina

(Rivers of blood) I consider both Moammar Gadhafi and his son, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi pontificates Pretentious personas.

February 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Ted

It has been an amazing couple of months with huge turn of events happening in North Africa and the Middle East. Dictators are having sleepless nights. Ghadafi needs to step down just like Ben Ali of Tunisia and Mubarek of Egypt. But he needs to be stopped from continuing to kill his people. I hope to see his dictator friend of Eritrea, Issaias Afewerki, finds the fate of Mubarek and Ben Ali also.

February 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Dave

Any sense yet of who is in control? What are the possible outcomes if Gadhafi is overthrown?

February 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  42. S tarr, formerly known as vincent

Goood evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello, NancyOR, Nichole, Megan, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Samantha, Nina, Sharon H., Heather, Sam.......everyone

Libia is a disaster! My heart breaks that the gov. is so brutal.
    The speech by the son was full of lies (drunk, drugs, etc.)

February 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Janis

Hello everyone. I've been following the Lybia story with anxiety for those brave citizens. It amazes me how they keep their protest peaceful as possible faced with such brutality.

February 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Sid

Hey Anderson,

Good job in covering Egypt and Libya. What about Baharin?

February 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Nina

My condolences to the families of the troops that were willing to take death over killing their own people.

February 21, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on. I hope you had a good weekend.
    Sounds like some fascinating reports on Libya tonight. It is disturbing to the chaos in Libya, but incredible to think of Gadhafi's regime being so challenged after 42 years.

February 21, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

February 21, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Nina

Good Evening Anderson Cooper, and everyone else…

February 21, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Isha, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Megan, Nicole, Nancy, Gloria, Starr, Nina, & Bloggers.
    Sounds like things in Libya are extremely tense and are heading to a stand off.

February 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. lilly

Good Evening, Hope you had a nice weekend.
    Sad to see all the events in Lybia.

February 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm |