February 15th, 2011
  1. Jere Winston

There was no greater authority on the Civil War than Shelby Foote. If he said that General Forrest wasn't in the KKK and never started it, that's good enough for me and any other reasonable person. The noted northern author Robert Selph Henery, author of "First with the Most" documented that General Forrest testified in front of the U.S. Congress that he did not start the KKK, the organization that he started was a different group entirely that used the "Circle of Three Stars" as it's insignia.

February 16, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  2. Lorena M.

I enjoyed your segment last night about the honor plate for the slave trader in Mississippi. “You don’t have to buy the license plate” was really the dumbest thing I’ve heard in a while. I am not American and I grew up in a country with a 100% white population, and every time I think about people owning people, doesn’t matter how long ago it was, it still makes me sick to my stomach. All the apologies in the world are not enough to excuse that, so it shocks me that that a bunch of white southerners actually would think that their “brilliant” idea would pass without creating controversy. Why stir up the dust for a license plate????? Be ashamed, always be ashamed for that piece of history and don’t bring up the past unless it is for another apology.

February 16, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  3. Georgia Wise

As a descendant of a Confederate Major and slaveholder, I am horrified at this proposal. Sadly, this is a minor skirmish in the commemoration of the Civil War. I have studied American slavery for 15 years trying to understand how decent God-fearing people like my great-great grandfather could have believed slavery an honorable institution. When I read the Cornerstone Speech given by VP of the Confederacy Alexander Stephens, my heart sank. He declared the belief that the Negro was not equal to the white man and that slavery was their natural state, according to God and the Confederacy was founded on that principle. The Southern Baptist Convention issued an apology for its part in that concept in June, 1995. To honor individuals like Forrest (or even my kin!) serves no purpose. But to promote historic sites that tell African American history as well as Union and Confederate would contribute to economic tourism in Southern states that badly need those dollars! I can think of a few in my home state of MS: Natchez, Corinth, Vicksburg, Biloxi. We who decry this proposal are united in this battle against inappropriate commemoration.

February 16, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  4. SteveinFL

AC you are so one-sided. I have no real opinion on this matter but you never let Mr. Stewart answer a question without interrupting him. Then you had the audacity to accuse him of not giving the other man a chance to speak and you said you gave him his chance. What a crock. You never let him talk. And he was 100% correct. He was being lectured and not asked a question.

You had your mind made up about this issue and tried to attack this man. This is the same reason I won't listen to people like Sean Hannity. He can't keep up an educated debate so he just screams and continually interrupts callers so they can never challenge him.

February 16, 2011 at 9:12 am |
  5. Kitty Kelso

As I added earlier from my Twitter site,advertising negative history leaders in any way is not acceptable by any means. Would Lee Harvey Oswald deserve advertising? Would the Oklahoma bomber deserve positive advertising? No to both questions. I agree that the distribution of this socalled special license plate in any way, be against the law of Mississippi. kk

February 16, 2011 at 8:37 am |
  6. Dan Creamer

Anyone who fought for the dissolution of the union and to save the institution of slavery was a traitor and a criminal. Right has always been right and wrong has always been wrong and there is no excuse for the shedding of blood to enslave another or commit treason against your fellow countrymen. It is bad enough that black people have to walk past confederate statues, memorials and plaques in front of the court houses all over the South where they go to seek justice and see the confederate flag flying all over the South, let’s not add more insult to injury by giving every bigot a license plate commemorating their hatred.

February 16, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  7. Jon Larue

Unfortunately when any subject or in this case an honoring of a confederate General is proposed or takes place ignorance shines like a star. It is unbelievable why anyone does not do their research or study on this subject especially the so called journalist of today. To sit here and watch an anchorman state that Gen Forrest was responsible with the massacre at Fort Pillow when it was proven that he was not and to state vehemtly that he was a 'Grand wizard of the KKK' without even explaining whey the KKK was formed in the first place which had nothing to with black oppression. The KKK was formed to stop Carpetbaggers from the North from coming down south and looting and wreakin havoc on a beaten people which they did. Forrest was a brilliant commander and his record shows that though not the person Lee or Jackson was morally or socially he still deserves the truth and respect as anyone. Thank you.

February 16, 2011 at 2:20 am |
  8. Rex R.

Why is the Generals name not shown? For the idiots, each time you buy a NIPPONESE=JAPANESE vehicle you HONOR the Japs. So why are you against an honor for an AMERICAN, right or wrong with his thinking?

February 16, 2011 at 2:10 am |
  9. John Ahearn

Notice how hate evolves and tests the boundaries of society. It has developed amazing camouflage as well.

February 16, 2011 at 2:01 am |
  10. James Leon Mahan

I don't think it would be a good use of money to create "Vanity" plates that are not in the mutual benefit of all drivers. This is just my opinion.

February 16, 2011 at 1:53 am |
  11. Jennifer Florio

Please see Adele Jeter's response to the above Nathan Bedford Forrest. This is a legitimate claim, I've seen the brooch it it magnificent! you have to see it to believe it!!!

February 16, 2011 at 1:42 am |
  12. James Leon Mahan

It just brings to reason where the proceeds go. Will they go to relatives or back to the state? I know in Tennessee they have hospital plates where a certain procede goes to the hospital. I would like to see this in Kentucky.

February 16, 2011 at 1:18 am |
  13. halle

Confederate group wants kkk leader on plate.. ha ha lol this funny, as AFRICAN american woman i am appalled as much as our race as suffer i dont think so... I pity Stewart because african americans has come long way and dont intended turns back.. Thank you prof. Eddie for stands up for our ppl, For Anderson thanxs for the story and for Gov. of Miss.. who SAID no that license plate would nt never happen, Thank you at least you remember how much blk people as suffer unlike sTEWART...

February 16, 2011 at 12:22 am |
  14. ayisha

The license plate should not be made because it's offensive to a population of people that were affected by confederacy and the kkk.

February 16, 2011 at 12:19 am |
  15. ayisha

The license plate should not be made.

February 16, 2011 at 12:13 am |
  16. ayisha

I think it's luducris for black or white people 2 continue use race 4 futhuring their agenda,when people under the age of 30, really don't care about race.

February 16, 2011 at 12:10 am |