New York (CNN) – CNN’s Anderson Cooper said Wednesday that his continued focus on the protests in Egypt and the Egyptian government’s response is not a personal vendetta.
After spending a week in Cairo covering the protests and coming under attack twice during that time by individuals supporting Egypt’s embattled President Hosni Mubarak, Cooper has dedicated nearly all of his airtime since then to the situation in the Middle Eastern country.
“Now I’ve seen some emails suggesting that the reason we on this program are calling out the Mubarak regime for their lies – trying every night to point out these lies - is that it’s somehow personal,” Cooper said Wednesday night, “that because I and my team was attacked by thugs on two occasions, that somehow I’ve lost objectivity.”
“This is not personal,” Cooper added, “This is not to insult Egypt. This is about the truth. And all of the reporters on the ground and, frankly, all of the people in [Cairo’s Tahrir Square] and most of the people around the world have seen the truth in Egypt. You have seen peaceful protesters attacked by uniformed police and then by mobs. And, having seen the truth, it is our obligation, I believe, to continue to bear witness to it.”
At the beginning of his broadcast Wednesday, Cooper also noted that he continues to invite representatives of the Egyptian government to appear on AC360° in order to have the opportunity to provide evidence supporting any of their many claims relating to the protests. “They continue to decline,” he said, adding “the invitation is an open one.”
Anderson Cooper goes beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view, so you can make up your own mind about the news. Tune in weeknights at 8 and 10 ET on CNN.
Questions or comments? Send an email
Want to know more? Go behind the scenes with