February 8th, 2011

Massive Protest in Egypt: Join the Live Chat

Despite the predictions of many that the protests in Egypt would shrink in size or simply go away, today the exact opposite happened. We'll show you the protests up close. Plus, just how much is Pres. Mubarak worth? We have Tom Foreman checking into that angle. And, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dev

Anderson .... Here is what I think is going on. Hosni and his goons are just buying time to make sure they are able to move and hide ALL the BILLIONS they have bamboozled over the last 30 years from the people. Please don't just report on how much they have... We all know that already... Follow the money too and I'm sure u will see that there have been a TON on uncharted flights from Egypt to switzerland and other countries over the last 2 weeks with bags of gold and Millay.

February 8, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, Ohio

Professor Ajami is absolutely right. The Obama administration has not come out strong in favor of democracy in Egypt.

February 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Aida

Anderson, I want to thank you and the CNN staff for your consistent and thoughtful coverage of the uprising in Egypt. As Egyptian/American, my husband and I have been calling our families in Egypt almost everyday since the communication blackout was lifted. Even my 82-year-old grandfather is utterly speechless at the tremendous turnout and thirst for democracy. A relative who was afraid to go to Tahrir (but in her heart supported the protesters) told us she wants to go to Tahrir just to "smell the freedom." We are so proud of these courageous Egyptians who are fighting for their dignity. Every human being deserves that.

February 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  4. jacqueline stewart

Anderson, if this situation in Egypt is successful it will be partly because of your courageous reporting on behalf of the people of Egypt. Well done, we love you for keeping up the pressure on these despicable crooks that have for too long robbed the wonderful Egyptians of their freedom.

February 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Well, that was an interest conversation!

February 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Hi, Anderson and staff, I believe the Egyptian people are really tired of the lies of the government. The protesters can't give-up! The Mubarak people needs to give-in and give change a chance.

February 8, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Carolyn

I'm so impressed by everyone's comments on AC 360° tonight, and also right here... great substance people!!

February 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Charles : Mesa, Az

Nancy, it takes a revolution to remove dictators. A revolution is much better than military battle. The important thing is for the people to not give up. They have to keep moving forward, because they set a great force in motion, it must be seen through until they reach their goal. Never Give up, Never

February 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Dina

Anderson, you are doing a wonderful job covering Egypt revolution, follow Muborak's money, he is very wealthy, maybe when he feels people are investigating his money (this money belong to the people of Egypt)he will back off and step down. His net worth is $40-$70 billion dollars, how did he gets so rich while the people are suffering? If you stop your coverage, and the world turn away from Egypt the government will take reveange...thanks for being there and keep doing the wonderful thing you do...

February 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Karyn, Indiana

@Starr: I am praying that someone can help. I have less than a month to get it done before my scheduled ticket to return. I would rather die with my husband than sit and do nothing!

February 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Janis

I hope the protesters aren't allowing the military to enclose the perimeter a little tighter every day. That scares me. Choke them together until chaos amongst them ensues. Keep your ground Egypt.

February 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Zoya from Chicago

Hi Anderson, First of all I'd like to thank you for your courage and consistency to find out the truth about what is going on in Egypt and exposing the regime for what it truly is. Oppressive. It upsets me as an American that our country believes in a democracy attached with a list of exceptions. The people in Egypt have have spoken, and all I can say to them is that I hear you all and I hope for your safety everyday. Stay strong you are fighting for a very legitimate cause.

February 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The square is full, but really with how many people? Of 80 million Egyptians, how many are participating?

February 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Mauri

If we be on the offense of investigating Mubarak's wealth this will distress the regime,and that's what lawyers in Egypt should be doing.

February 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Nina

Well stated Anderson. Yes, within the square and its protesters, Democracy flourishes!

February 8, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Linda

Hi Anderson, Thank you for your coverage of the Egyptian revolution. It is uplifting and inspiring. What I want to know is when will you cover how our tax money has funded the totalitarian governments in the Middle East and what can we do to stop the use of our money to keep these leaders in power, preventing democracy. I have heard and seen repressive governments get away with murder over and over again and with the USA blessings and money. My family lived through the horrible years in Facist Spain and Cuba which resulted badly. Please talk about what can we do to stop this cycle of violence. Thank you, Linda

February 8, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Steph

I am so grateful to live in the USA where we have rights. I am shocked to see what the Eyptians are suffering. Oppression is a form of torture. Thanks Anderson and CNN for your struggle to give Egypt the beautiful gift of Liberty and a chance to peacefully transition toward a just future.

February 8, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  18. lisal -canada

i thought i heard one of the regime speakers mention something about not understanding the egyptian culture

what part of the egyptian culture includes people living with the dead in the great city of the dead and garbage dumps? how is that different from the palaces and the power and the elite?

i do not understand.

i would like to see the egyptian people define and describe their culture and history – i want to understand more

February 8, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Nadia

As an Egyptian living in North America. Thank you Anderson for keeping the focus on this. The end is near.

February 8, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  20. sue

when in egype two years ago we were very impressed to see that mathematics was being taught in english at the elementary and middle school level, and also this was supplemented by tutorials on government television ( as see in our hotel) each evening. did the regime, of another era, not realise that they were creating a new generation very comfortable with communicating and networking in english, and also very familiar with computers and technology?

February 8, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Kelly - PA

I totally agree with David; America can give freedom of speech to those that don't have it in their own country.

February 8, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Rabab

Hi – the question was asked what was so moving about the Wael Ghoniam speech – It was more then the moment where he stepped out. It was the power of his words particularly the second section of the interview where he spoke about the right of all Egyptians to live with their heads held high and to be treated with respect.

The protests were also heated by the revelation of Mubrak’s 70 Billion dollars. This is what I hear from the ground!

It would be great if some of the chants were translated – they are witty and impactful

February 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Janis

I hope the next time our public servants sign treaties that include monetary aid there should always be some sort of clause that makes it null and void in the event that the leadership of countries are suspected of conducting themselves in a corruptive manner. All treaties no matter what. We are giving the Egyptian military alot of money and they will continue to receive it because of the Camp David Peace Accords. Mubarak is in control of the army and the money.

February 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Nancy

Imagine a place where the president and his family manage to steal 70 billion dollars. There are 80 million Egyptians, so basically Mubarak could fix Egypts economy with his own personal money , yet there are towns with no water no sewage, and little children that dont even know what milk tastes like. That disgusts me

February 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  25. M.Ibrahim

Anderson
    Thank you so much for all the work you have done reporting on the Egyptian revolution. It has been indepth, honest and heartfelt.
    Keep it up. You are doing a great job.

February 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Darlene Grossman, Philadelphia

buy off the crowd.. thats insane

February 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  27. Sandy

Anderson, thank you for your honest and thoughtful reporting on the crisis in Egypt. You were there and saw what is going on first hand. The Egyptian people are courageously fighting a just cause. One can only look upon it with admiration and hope that their actions are not in vain.

February 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Hatim

I think that the huge turnout today was a reaction to Wael Ghoniem's honest break down on TV. The Egyptian "gov" was able to spread the rumors that there are foreign forces behind the "unrest".
    by Wael's stating the fact that he has everything in Dubai, Egyptians can understand that... and he had more to lose by coming to Egypt and participating ... gave him credibility, at least as far the ordinary middle class Egyptian is concerned, including some of the security forces ...

February 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  29. DR. Mohamed Khedr

I am a Canadian Citizen originally from Egypt and I am staff at University Of Toronto I am really very proud for all younger Egyptian on the street they make a huge different and they change the history they do a victory by beating the wall of fear and they can speak loud against corrupted system I hope USA support them
    DR. Mohamed Khedr

February 8, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Karyn – i am so sorry to hear nothing has happened yet. I choose to believe that you will get some help before your return in March.

I agree with David G. – of course Egyptian Gov is telling USA Gov. what it wants to hear and then is doing the opposite.
    Our influence and power is limited without joining forces with China, Russia and Europe.

Jill D. does make a point re: the economy, but i don't know if it will be enough to move the Egyptian Gov.

February 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am thinking president Mubarak will lose his power to leave without regime or dictorship.

February 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Susan

Please keep up your in depth coverage of Egypt/region until it is over. Your program is the only one I have found that has given the gravitas to this amazing moment in history.

Please spell out the secret police, how the government controls free thought. But also explain the conflict of interest for US etc. in the outcome. Values versus Self-Interest.

The Kite Flyer actor you featured is inspirational; I'd love to know more about his family/background (he referenced their social reform tradition).

February 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Pam in California

Mr. Cooper. Your point that after the media stops focusing on Egypt the protesters will be in even more danger. I vow to continue to watch your show as long as you focus on Egypt. It is one small way we can support these brave people.
    I believe your reporting is better since you experienced their repression first hand. Next you should go to Palestine. Then maybe we'd get some good reporting about that horrific situation here in the U.S., instead of having to rely on foreign media for reasonable reports about it.
    Anyway, keep covering Egypt, please, for as long as it takes!

February 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Jay

Why don't the people of Egypt just leave Tahir Square and march to the Presidential Palace? The army will either lead them, or stop them.

February 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Anne

Thank you for your fabulous coverage of the situation in Egypt. It has been hard to figure out what's going on and I really appreciate the depth of your reporting! Keep up the good work. We need you!

February 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Damian, TCI

The WH needs to realize that they have to get tougher on the Mubarak regime. The people of Egypt have spoken.

February 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Iman

Good evening all. from ny. I'm Egyptian-American that visit Egypt every year. I was amazed on the great turn out of tahrir square today. Everything that Anderson said this evening about Egypt and its government is so true. I've seen and heard stories about the control in Egypt. This is a wake up call for the citizens of Egypt. I'm happy that its happening now and I can say now that i'm proud to be an Egyptian.

February 8, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Kenya

@Maha
    I agree. Can't be good.

February 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Hani

I think the united states is not doing enough to pressure Hosni Mobark to step down.Egypt is a very important country in the middle east and to keep egyptians in our side we have to support the people of Egypt a lot stronger than that.

February 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Mauri

I think the main reason of mubarak not leaving now is to have time to cash in his assets,take care of selling his properties and do all the necessary clean up of legal documents for fear of being prosecuted in the event of any fair gov't holding office,forget that hoax he is selling about culture,leadership, or chaos,the only vaccum to worry about here is the vaccum in mubarak's head

February 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Arlene

Fascinating, trying to watch CNN Live on internet I get CNN via Egypt! (Egyptian State TV)

February 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Perrihan

Please also try to cover protests across Egypt. The Regime is not as tolerant of protestors there as they are in Tahrir Square. They know most of the International coverage is on Tahrir Square.

February 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Arif Patel

hi this s going very good its a revolution

February 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Carolyn

I agree with Brian, there probably is more behind this story, but the Press is doing what they can, and it's fantastic work... keep it coming Anderson Cooper and all respectable Press!!

February 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Phyl from Motown

I am not surprised to see the increased level of protesting. I think the Egyptians are able to stay up to date through social media and realize that this cat and mouse game Mubarek is playing is yet another attempt to placate them to see if life returns to the previous norm. They know they must keep applying pressure until concrete plans are in place to change the government.

February 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Sally

Anderson, Thank you so much for keep broadcasting about Egypt. You are doing an amazing job for the Egyptian. I want to let you know that the Egyptian government on one hand opened banks and promote a normal life but on the other hands the Egyptian government is forcing the human resources departments of different companies in Egypt to report any employee who don’t show up for work. In other words if he/she are not at work he/she is in Tahrir square. Obviously these are not actions of a government have good intentions.

February 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  47. nancyinoregon

Democracy is messy, no two ways about it, and far from a perfect system. Not even just one system, in fact. I don't expect a 'sudden' democracy to fare smoothly by a long shot, anymore than I expect a kid to fare absolutely smoothly once he launches out from the parental home...but I suspect it's part of the maturation process for humans.

February 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  48. Charlotte Hutchens

Why are the protesters not using the opportunity to USE their desire for democracy and choose a leader for a spokesman? Surely by now someone has emerged a a leader!

February 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  49. Kate

So glad to have a trustworthy source to inform and educate, I appreciate having your show. Pls continue with following the situation in Egypt. I am also for light rail – should have been started years ago.

February 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Robert

Thanks again Anderson,Ivan and the rest of your team for continuing to keep the world spotlight on Egypt! we rely on all of you to keep this up! the courage exhibited by all of those at tahrir is truly an inspiration-be assured that Mubarak and his cronies havent played their last despicable card!

February 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm |