February 8th, 2011

Massive Protest in Egypt: Join the Live Chat

Despite the predictions of many that the protests in Egypt would shrink in size or simply go away, today the exact opposite happened. We'll show you the protests up close. Plus, just how much is Pres. Mubarak worth? We have Tom Foreman checking into that angle. And, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, Ohio

Why doesn't Suleiman allow the Egyptian people to make the decision whether or not they are "ready" for democracy?

February 8, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Sharon Hastings

I commend these brave Egyptians who act on their convictions and dream of change in the face of lies, threats, abuse, arrest, imprisonment, even death. The world is watching.

February 8, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Sarah

Thank you Anderson Cooper for continuing your coverage on Egypt. Because, like you said this is the most dangerous time as the world turns to other stories, so thank you for keeping this story alive. I am Egyptian American and I have family in Egypt and am terrified for their well being. Thank you Anderson, you're an honorable man.

February 8, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Karyn, Indiana

@Starr: Losing hope. No help. Planning to return in March. Thank u for asking!

February 8, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Yerko

I wish Mubarak would just get the message from his people that they don't want him. If I had a million + people against me, I would step down. I don't think I would be able to run a country with people going against me.

February 8, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  6. nancyinoregon

"I'm not the hero"...he seems so pained.

February 8, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  7. Nina

Suleiman & Mubarak have always lied, why on earth would anyone believe what they have to say. Game over for those two!!!

February 8, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Carolyn

What a day... the interview with the Google Executive Wael Ghonim was so very touching, he truly is the guy who started the ball rolling so-to-speak... and what a moving tale he had to tell... Bravo & God Bless Wael Ghonim!!!

February 8, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Ibrahim Said

Anderson, as an Egyptian, I confirm that everything you are reporting about Mubarak's regime lies is very true. State TV plays a huge role ensuring the rest of Egyptian people won't join protesters as it continues to tell lies and make up stories!

February 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  10. niwat kurusattra, chicago

Who is the vice president to say the Egyptian people isn't ready for democracy, the people has came out and rallied in a peaceful manner and demand a change in governance. The people spoke volume of democracy by doing that.

February 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Paula, Colorado

The protestors are impressive and inspiring.

February 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, Ohio

I agree, the Mubarak regime has insulted the Egyptian people for 30 years, but since the US has supported this government, both financially and politically, how can it remain blameless?

February 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Karyn, Indiana

@Casey Jones: I returned to the States the 6th of November. Will return March 4th

February 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Karyn – what's your situation with your husband?

February 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  15. nancyinoregon

Do you really think so, Mike? Gosh, I so hope not.

February 8, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Alan

I would like to say that you for giving a very good coverage of the Egypt Revolution
    As last honest coverage from an American TV Channel

Well done Anderson

Alan UK

February 8, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  17. nancyinoregon

Good evening, friends. Wow, the protesters are swelling...yet Anderson is also saying it might be a more dangerous time. I really can't imagine that as the crowd grows it will be more dangerous. Maybe I'm just wishfully thinking?

February 8, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  18. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I hope the people of Egypt never give up. Every human deserves equal rights.

February 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Carolyn

The reports on all of the people killed and injured is so very disturbing... Anderson, please continue to keep the facts coming, and thanks again for all of your hard work, and the dedicated hard work of the CNN people behind the scenes... all of the journalists, camera people and so many others have my deepest respect, and of course so do the Humanitarian Workers and all of the people participating in the "Peaceful People Power Protests" on the side of Democracy... in Egypt and elsewhere... thank you everyone!!

February 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  20. Rob Johnston

Good Evening!

When I heard Mubarak was giving raises to people in the Egyptian goverment over the weekend, I immediately figured it was a payoff to those in the goverment who supported his regime. This action immediately makes me question whether Mubarak is ensuring that the current regime survies even after this departure.

Rob Johnston
    Walnut Creek, CA

February 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Damian

I live in the Turks and Caicos Islands and I've been following the situation in Egypt since it began and its obvious that if the world turns its eyes away than the Mubarak regime will not step down or compremise. All it knows is lies and brutality.

February 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  22. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The longer this goes on, the more likely that Mubarak regains control. He'll pick off the protesters one by one.

February 8, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Jude

Anderson,

Keep going with the story of the brave Eqyptian people. Muslims and Christians together.

We love you brave people of Eqypt.

February 8, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  24. Gina Bennett

I love how Anderson is the only news person I've seen who keeps the regime honest.

February 8, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  25. Nehal El Guindy

Thank you for Keeping them Honest. Please let the world know what is happening in Egypt. The world needs reporters like you. Egypt is ready for democracy as everyone can see in Tahrir Square.

February 8, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  26. aminiesta

it'll be a long2 journey to egyptian people to wake up their unwanted president and his company..

February 8, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Karyn, Indiana – When were you there?

February 8, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Kenz

Why dosen't Mubarak just leave? He says people would rage more if he didn't?
    Sigh, I can't be the only one who thinks that the votes to make Mubarak leader were obviously messed with... I didn't think he was too bad until this, you would just think, Am I right?

February 8, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  29. Nancy

Hi Anderson
    I just wanna start off by saying that you are doing a great job of covering this story. As an Egyptian-American who has lived in Egypt for 9 years, you couldn't be giving a more honest portrayl of the actual events. You are right on target with all the corruption and lies the government keeps dishng out. Many people feel like if we do take the governments option that the protesters from tahrir square will be detaind,or even worse killed. The government is ruthless, and I think Mubarak would rather kill the whole 80 million rather than leave. Who is he to say we are not ready for democracy? Who stunted our growth to begin with. The Egyptians are intelligent,and very hardworking and deserve a lot better. I'm afraid once the media leaves Egypt seriously bad things will happen. God help us all

February 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Gina Bennett

I wonder if Egyptians can see @AC360? I follow many people from Cairo on Twitter, some of them think the US doesn't want to see democracy in Egypt.

February 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Yerko

hello all!

I am so happy he is continuing the coverage on the situation in Egypt

February 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Excellent commentary Anderson re: Egypt – keeping them honest.

When i heard that the new vice president declared that the "people" of Egypt were not "ready" for democracy, i must say my temper flared.

February 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Karyn, Indiana

Anderson speaks the truth bloggers!! I know first hand about Egypt's nationals *disappearing!

February 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Darlene Grossman, Philadelphia

I can't believe Egpt's government won't take responsibility in their actions

February 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Janis

Hello everyone.

Mubarak is using every scheme in the book to hang onto power. This man has amassed a fortune in the last 30 years off of Egyptians – that is an insult to all the citizens of Egypt. A citizen of any country would be insulted by it's public servants making themselves rich while in office. That is wrong. Egypt is ready for democracy.

February 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I agree with you, They are proud of their country, good point.

February 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Karyn, Indiana

Anderson is so right. I lived in Cairo for 6 months and it is sad how their gov't treats the nationals there

February 8, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Nina

Good EVening everyone

I am so impressed at the Egyptian people as they have not given up, and more people are turning out to protest their government. I bet Mubarak and Suleiman are in shock as they expected the protesters would die out….

February 8, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Good evening. I really wonder how much we aren't hearing about and if news media are reporting a skewed version of the truth. Sorry, but I've learned to consistently ask this question for virtually everything I view or listen to.

February 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Carolyn

Anderson... Huge Pro Democracy Crowds have gathered in Cairo and Alexandria Square, the largest yet... these record crowds in Tahrir Square do indeed mean something important... but what now???

February 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Are you serious??????? I am shocked truck driver plows people and they fight back!!!! Video are disturbing!

February 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Thank you for continuing to cover Egypt. This is the first I knew about the demonstration today being so large.

February 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Darlene Grossman

why blame internationalist its all about thier government

February 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Cessy - Chicago

Hello, Anderson 🙂

good evening to you all...

February 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Carolyn

February 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson & entire Team 360.

Hello, Nancy, Nichole, Megan, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Samantha, Nina, Heather, Sharon....everyone.

Wow, what a huge showing in the Square today!

February 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's good to see your focus again on Egypt tonight.

February 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Karyn, Indiana

Another strong day for protesters in Egypt! God be with them.

February 8, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Happy Tuesday night!!!!! 😀

February 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

February 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm |