January 31st, 2011

Anderson Reports Live From Egypt: Join the Live Chat

Egyptians are defying a curfew and are still in the streets of Cairo tonight. Anderson gives you an up close look at the uprising tonight on 360°.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori

Everyone deserves to live in a democracy.

January 31, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  2. Sue from Syracuse

El Baradei has been absolutely impressive. I hope he turns out to be a people-friendly person who will progress democracy and is friendly with ALL nations of the world that love democracy.

January 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Karyn Indiana – i hope your husband will get out of Egypt safely. My hopes & prayers are with you and the people of Egypt.

January 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Emily

Malak, you are correct. I met many Chrisitans in Egypt and they could worship freely!

January 31, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Sue from Syracuse

Anderon, please stay safe!
    I have much hope for the people for Egypt. And, I have read of some really good behavior in the U.S. towards Muslims in the country in the past week as they hear Muslims yearning for democracy. Perhaps there is hope for Democracy afterall... (that is if we manage to curb "Citizens United" decision by SCOTUS, but that's another story).

January 31, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Sophia, Chicago

Anderson, What about our troops in the region? How will this impact our young men and women serving? Will there be a backlash if Mubarak stays?

January 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Emily

Many that I've spoken to over the weekend are very skeptical about ElBaradei.

January 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Cheryl

We are praying that the people of Egypt may realize their long-suppressed dreams of freedom and opportunity...and that somehow the current government will not be replaced with an equally repressive regime. Please be safe.

January 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Gimbala

Anderson, where are you guys stying in all of this?

January 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Danny, "What happens if the suez canel somehow gets blocked up and prevents any oil through ?"

Oil is not the only thing that travels through the Suez Canal. It is a trading short cut from Asia to Europe. Its blockage would have a profound affect.

January 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Emily

Egypt is a moderate Muslim country. This is where the rich Saudi Arabians came to party and drink - things they could not do at home.

January 31, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Karl

Im curious what Hamas is thinking right now. Not just Hamas, but Netanyahu. They have been curiously quiet about the unrest in Egypt. And if the unrest spreads...

January 31, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Brenda

I pray that the people of Egypt will have Freedom of Democracy. Be safe and God Bless to all.

January 31, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Emily

We do not want other countries telling us what to do – this sitution requires diplomacy and it should be done quietly.

January 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Jo Ann, Me too. It's important that moderates take over, not fundamentalists.

January 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Taylor Knight – it would be useful if Israel and surrounding allies provided water, food and other supplies to the Egyptians.

January 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  17. Malak

you only meeting the people against Mubarak , what about the other who support him??? only 1 M. against 79M???? , Mubarak is not a bad president , ( ask the Christian Egyptians , you will find out)

January 31, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  18. Dave

I really appreciate that Anderson is reporting from Cairo, and giving us a detailed report. I flipped briefly to Fox News and Gretta has done nothing but talk about the Florida health care ruling...from a desk. Anderson Cooper is a real journalist!

January 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Emily

@Paula, Colorado
    "It must be kind of exciting being there.."
    It's really something to see, and hear what people like Ben, how are there have to say. I hope that when Mubarak goes, there's a good replacement. (for all the people, esp. Women, the Copts & of course, the entire region)

January 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Emily

It was important to support Mubarek at one time. There was a need to have stability in the region. It is time for him to go.

January 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, Ohio

I am looking forward to Anderson's interview with ElBaradei. I am interested in hearing what he has to say.

January 31, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Karyn, Indiana

My husband is Egyptian. I have lost contact with him. The Embassy advised me that he will be able to fly out to a "safe haven", at an unknown location, and then I could fly him into the US from there. The uprising in Egypt is unexpected. I do not have the funds for a ticket from an "unknown", at present, location. And, I can not contact him to advise him to try to make his way to the airport! Please help! Please?

January 31, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  23. Nicole The Netherlands

Mubarak always used the Muslim Brotherhood as an sort of leverage, "if I leave they will take over".
    I have been looking in all reports for evidence about that, but haven't seen it so far.

Would like to hear more about them..Who are they?

January 31, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  24. Bahja

If egyption can not change this system after this syvilized demonestration, how others third world poeple can be motivated to do so. We as americans have to interver positively not negatively.
    MUBARAK HAS TO LEAVE NOW!!

January 31, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Most Americans are stuck right now in Cairo and also Americans left so early (get out of country) back to United States immediately.

January 31, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Chi

One of the protestors' signs saying "American supported clown"??? Do they have problems with America? It puzzles me. They are talking openly to AC.

January 31, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Taylor Knight

We as nations should be sending food and water so the people in Egypt remain calm and do not start to loot and loose control in this situation.

January 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nichole – i did see where Al Jazeera was shut down and was Amazed!
    Yes, i know jounalists can die, i just don't want to see Anyone die tomorrow, including the demonstrators.
    Thanks for all of the other info.

January 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Chuck

Can you explain on your show what "triggered" the revolt in Egypt? How could it get so big so fast?

January 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Motaz

watching from NY.can hear the dan prayer call in ur background. I know in american ears it sounds "a call of terror"! but for an egyptian born, even though I am a secular-muslim, it is a sound of tranquility and spirituality!

January 31, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Mike

Great reporting in Egypt. This is a wonderful and frightening time. The push for democracy makes me hopeful that the Middle East countries may yet reduce the breeding grounds for terrorism and extreme fundamentalism.

January 31, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Danny

Hi What happens if the suez canel somehow gets blocked up and prevents any oil through ? Be safe Andersnand keep up thegreat job.

January 31, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Sue R. Canton MI.

They announced on our local news that there's many students visiting from Egypt that are trying to get home. I know their concerned for their families,but I'm thinking that it might be safer for them to stay here for a while.

January 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Nicole The Netherlands, "Journalists get killed every year,"

I have seen some journalists with Kevlar vests on, I wouldn't be surprised if the CNN employees are wearing them.

January 31, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Mike – the reporting is that the "people" from all walks of life started this movement. It has been reported that after seeing the success in Tunisia, the Egyptians decided to demonstrate to get their "dictator" out.

No one has reported that it was started by or that the Muslim Brotherhood would take over.

January 31, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  36. mary

I am amazed at the ambiguity of this Cairo situation and the reporting involved. They speak of danger and the inability in most cases for people to leave the country, all the while reporters from all the cable shows are flying in like gang busters. I must assume they are risking their own lives to attend the chaos... sure Like that would ever happen. All the world's a stage...

January 31, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    "Will the Muslim Brotherhood take over?"
    That's a good question. I have to wonder if ElBaradei would be the best for the country and region. (if he were to get elected). I've wondered if he was covering for Iran when he was the head of The IAEA. Would be good to learn more about the Muslim Brotherhood.

January 31, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  38. Nikkie

Will later today(Egypt time) with the Million Man March result in another Tianamen Square?? The conflict and tension is rising and it seems the army/vigilante citizens are going to snap.

January 31, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with you, Nicole!!!! 🙂

Mike,
    It was protestors take change over against president Muburak.

January 31, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "Who is driving this revolt?"

I don't think they have a "leader" and that is troubling.

January 31, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Daniel

Hi Anderon
    This reminds me the the collapse of Soviet Union, the fall of the Berlin wall... Now the turn is to Africa,Ethiopia will be the next to receive this torch of freedom that was ignited in Tunisia.

January 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Shirley

I suggest that Anderson ask the people who they would like to see in power if Mubarak leaves his post. I further suggest that the network have someone translate the signs held by people in the crowd so we can read what they say.

January 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Emily, you know why I am here 😉

January 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  44. David Fleming

I am watching this evening's programme from Egypt and history in the making. Can I congratulate CNN on acquiring Piers Morgan's services? He is such refreshing change, a person who understands life outside the USA and asks relevant questions in a direct and unambiguous manner.

January 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  45. Jennifer

FYI, that soldier nervously pointing a handgun at the protestors is an officer, probably the officer in charge of that small group. Soldiers carry rifles, larger weapons. There's a saying that when an officer has to pull his side arm things are desperate. Usually the officer is directing soldiers, not using force himself. The three stars on his shoulder indicate he is a captain, equivalent to a captain in our army. Although he's in charge, he's really a young guy. Hopefully these guys can hold it together until an interim political agreement can be reached.

January 31, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Nicole The Netherlands

@Starr,A dutch journalist camaraman had is camara destroyed this weekend.
    Journalists get killed every year, and Al Jazeera also had problems, their bureau was shot down this weekend...

The more journalists the better at this moment!
    Anderson, Nic, Ivan and Ben are important faces, and have a lot of experience, but yes it is scary..

January 31, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Emily

@Nicole,
    AC360° is the best show on CNN, in my opinion. You are getting to watch the best.

January 31, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Lori,
    Yes...... He does!!!!! 🙂 he do love what he have to be reporter!

January 31, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Who is driving this revolt? Will the Muslim Brotherhood take over?

January 31, 2011 at 10:17 pm |