January 31st, 2011

Anderson Reports Live From Egypt: Join the Live Chat

Egyptians are defying a curfew and are still in the streets of Cairo tonight. Anderson gives you an up close look at the uprising tonight on 360°.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, Ohio

How do they know that the prisoners that were released are not hiding in the crowds? That is a little scary especially when I see children in the crowds.

January 31, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Paula, Colorado

It must be kind of exciting being there, in spite of the tension.

January 31, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Moni Taylor – you are so right! Change that is successful, cannot be Forced on people.
    It Must come from within.

I join you in your pride of the Egyptian people for their immense courage.

I really want to see the people win this fight!

January 31, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Susan

Anderson and all, as others have said, please stay safe! Thank you for all that you do.

January 31, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Steve Kessler

If it doesn't jeopradise the situation, could you please let us know how the networks are able to communicate with the outside world from communication locked-down Egypt?

January 31, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes...... They were great job last night...... I think they were good job infomstive as well. 🙂

January 31, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Emily

I heard Anderson say that it was strange to be one of the only people flying into a country when everyone is flying out....the airports look overrun with people. I hope that everyone is safe there.

January 31, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Anastasia Kontos

What percentage of the Egyptian population, which was reported to be 80,471,869 in 2010, is involved in the current demonstrations?

January 31, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Emily

Listen, American contractors paid by US government are working inside many of the government officers in Egypt. I seriously doubt they Internet will go down.

January 31, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Sharon Hastings

You can just hear the fear in the voices of people who have family there. Whenever you get such a mass of people together, what may have started out for most to be a peaceful assembly can turn on a dime and become violent. We'll hope and pray that doesn't happen. It seems beyond any effort at "talk" or compromises. They want Mubarak gone and nothing else will do. I hope there is a good plan for after he leaves.

January 31, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Sue R. Canton MI.

It makes me wonder if this can ever happen in our country. The thought that communication services like the internet,cell phones, and sevices interupted is frightening. It seems like its causing more and more panic and anger among the people.

January 31, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  12. Charles

Good Evening Anderson. I would like to commend you for going to Egypt to report on this great event in our history. Thank you.
    I hope you don't bring up "what this means for the US" tonight. I feel as though that is all I hear. Can't we let this be about the Egyptians, and not center everything around our well being. It is really a great moment to see a people rise up against their oppressor. this strikes a blow against all dictators, for all the freemen of the world.

January 31, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  13. Lori

I just can not imagine life without banks, food, transportation....wow.

January 31, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  14. Nicole The Netherlands

@Emily and Megan, totally missed it, watched Dutch, Belgian, English television. And read some papers and al lot of websites
    But again know why I love AC360 and CNN!

Little bit scared though, especially when I heard of Ben and his worries about his family friday.
    You can't get money anymore.. And food is running out

January 31, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  15. Moni Taylor

I am astoundingly proud of the Egyptian people who are making history by taking control themselves. It is required that if a people want to change, it must come from within, by the people who own the oppression, to make it happen. We cannot force democracy on anyone... If it comes from within, it is powerful...

January 31, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Lori

Anderson is doing what he loves to do.

January 31, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Emily

@Megan,
    Yes, also Wolf & Isha and all the others that came in...it was very impressive & informative.

January 31, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr,
    Yes, I am also concern for them too.... I agree.

January 31, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, Ohio

Watching history unfold is both frightening and exciting.

Great reporting by Ben Wedeman, Ivan Watson, Nic Robertson, Frederik Pieitgen, Anderson Cooper, and the other journalists and crews from CNN.

January 31, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Emily

The pyramids are lovely! I cannot imagine the Marriott, which was a former palace destroyed.

January 31, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  21. Emily

Ben has been providing an outstanding prospective! Speaking about what has been happening and in the streets, and how the people have been keeping an eye out in their neighborhoods, etc. It sounds like quite the change he's seeing.

January 31, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  22. CHARLIE

US foreign policy towards Egypt was to hope that this 81 year old man would never die.

January 31, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Lori

Amazing that these people say they live under the poverty level. They speak incredible english and sound like they are well educated.

January 31, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Starr, formerly known as vincent

The situation in Egypt is really frightening,

I pray for the people to win against a dictator.
    However, i have been in large political crowds and the energy can change like lightening.

I am very concerned about the safety of everyone, but especially, Anderson, Nick, Ben, Ivan....All of the reporters and crews on the ground.

January 31, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Emily

Still – there is a way to bypass the government parastal. It is easy and is used all the time.

January 31, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes, Anderson, Wolf,Isha and others were live coverage last night, remember???

January 31, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  27. CHARLIE

Amazing that the army guy had only handgun. If that was an American soldier he would be heavily armed and terrifying.

January 31, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

All people need change for the better of life!

January 31, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Emily

I am concerned that the extremist will take over Egypt.

January 31, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  30. CHARLIE

Thank goodness Egyptian does not have a "right to bear Arms" otherwise this would alreday be a civil war.

January 31, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Emily

This reminds me of about 5 years ago and what happened in Lebanon...now, I believe that Hezbollah is in control there and it doesn't seem better.

January 31, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    Looking forward to the show tonight.

Wow,,So much happening and I hope that Anderson and crew will stay safe while covering this crisis in Egypt.

January 31, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,

Anderson and crew CNN are also stay safe as well, I hope that all reporters must keep safe out of harm's way!!!!! Be careful, Anderson.

January 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Emily

Been to Cairo many times – this is so sad!

January 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Spider Harrison

Hi folks, there will be peace in Egypt. This man is our friend, but he's 81 years old and it's time for him to move aside...when he does and he will, it will be a feather in President Obama's hat. He was in Egypt and spoke. The people there respect him and America.

January 31, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Emily

@Nicole,
    Anderson had some great coverage from Egypt yesterday. (along with Ben, Nic & Ivan)

January 31, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That is a sad situation!

January 31, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360. I saw you live last night. I know i shouldn't have been surprised, but there you were right in the middle of Ciaro!

Hello, Nichole, Nancy, Megan, Emily,. JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Samantha, Nina, Sharon, Heather....everyone.

God bless and keep ALL of you safe in Egypt!

January 31, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

Hello everyone,
    the situation in Egypt and Northern Africa reminds me of the situation in East Germany and Eastern Europe in 1989. I feel the same mixture of hope and fear and anxiety.
    It is already clear that the Egyptian revolution is not as peaceful as the German was, but I hope it will not get as bloody as the Romanian was.
    On CNN I heard very little about the death toll, German media reported at least 150 deaths until yesterday (Sunday).

January 31, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson in Cairo and everyone. I knew you would go Anderson. I hope all CNN folks stay safe there. A million people is a lot to mix it up with and almost anything can happen.

January 31, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Mei -AZ

Good eEvening AC360 bloggers. Good Evening Anderson. Please Please stay safe!! Yourself and the rest of the CNN reporters and their crews.

January 31, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Lisa in Louisville

Anderson, please stay safe.

January 31, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nicole,
    Yes... He is in Cario right now!!!!

January 31, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Emily

Good evening everyone – Anderson stay safe!

January 31, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Lori

Hello Anderson! Hello Everyone!

January 31, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Isha, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Megan, Nancy, Nicole, Gloria, Casey, Starr, Nina & Bloggers.

January 31, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Your coverage from Egypt–last night and today–has been extraordinary. I hope and pray for the safety of all of you.

January 31, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!

Hope you have great weekend! 🙂
    Happy Monday night!!!
    This is breaking news right now....... Million man are going marching (protestors) on the street against President Murbuak tomorrow in Cario.

January 31, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Nicole The Netherlands

Good Evening Anderson, Nic, Ben and the whole production team in Egypt, the AC360 Team;
    Emily, Jo Ann, Starr, Megan, Sharon, Heather, Gloria, Mike, David and Bloggers,

OMG Anderson is there! on the square!

January 31, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

January 31, 2011 at 10:00 pm |