January 28th, 2011

Revolt in Egypt: Join the Live Chat

We'll have live reports from Egypt where demonstrators took to the streets again on Friday and the government could be on the brink of collapsing. Though,President Hosni Mubark says he won't step down. Instead he's calling on the rest of his government to step down.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The waffling by the Administration will be remember by both sides. Whoever wins in Egypt will know the US didn't help.

January 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Adriana

Let's hope that everybody will be safe including the christians in Egypt in the near future...

January 28, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Chi

The panel is very interesting.

January 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Merl,Ohio

Emily, Let me run this by you. U.S. Gives aide every year to Egyption government, plus all the funding from their oil reserves goes to the government. Then why are the people in economic problems like we are in the U.S. ?

January 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Emily

@Hesham Eissa,
    Before the communication were cut, etc. do you know why the people in Egypt want Mubarak to leave office ASAP? I understand that he's trying to maintain control now, and that's not good at all, however, do you know what started all of this?

January 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Nicole The Netherlands

Very interesting guest mr Fouad Ajami!

January 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Vaughn Johnson

I would hope that the wonderful Egyption people will recognise the history they have at their hands and be proud. Let us all not forget what happened in Afganistan with the Taliban, as far as the antiquity destruction and of course the human rights abuses. At this point there can be so much good and so much future sorrow if allowed.

January 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Nathaniel, I have a few friends in Egypt too and I just tried to get a hold of them. They do not live in Cairo but I know they have family in the city and I am praying for them too

January 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Jo Ann, I agree. The same inaction when Iranians were protesting.

January 28, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  10. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Great reminder about Iran protesters.

January 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Sean Ulczycki

@Heather I thought half the problem was with Mubark being sympathetic toward America and democracy?

January 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Kenya

@Yasir Kuoti
    i do not understand why other western democratic nations are silent in supporting the Egyptians’ acts and pursue of democracy __
    I agree.

January 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  13. Sharon Hastings

After supporting this regime for many years, we are now walking a very tricky tightrope where we "support the people" but also try to save the government. How will that work?

January 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  14. H. Munford

I doubt our government is sitting idly by during this crisis. I trust our CIA is already at work identifying an Egyptian army officer to replace Mubarak...to both calm the citizenry and hopefully minimize our loss of strength and influence in the area.

January 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, Ohio

Obama speech was too little too late. He could have stood up for human rights three days ago. The Egyptian people were waiting for his response.

January 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I think Obama's remarks did send a Strong signal to Mubarek et al.

We cannot afford for any of the Arabian countries' voices Not to be heard.

Great panel discussion, certainly educating me.

January 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Hesham Eissa

Hi Anderson,
    I am an Egyptian living here in the States since a year ago.. The people moving in Egypt are not fanatics, they are our friends, family members, and fellow middle class moderate muslims.. When Mr Biden says that Mubarak is not a tyran, he is giving green light to this regime to slam these "normal" Egyptians only fighting for their lives
    They have cut all communication between our people and the outside world, even landlines in some areas, all we need is pressure to reconnect us with them, it is intolerable in 2011 that this happens and the free world supports that.
    I learned a lot in your country, and I feel so ashamed to be living in security here while my parents are shut down, we all feel so helpless, please prove us right in believing in what we have seen here.

January 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Jay

This uprising has been a long time coming. With unemployment in Egypt over 30%, this is but one of the many things that allowed this to finally tip. President Obama is biting his tongue also. This is a very delicate situation. Egypt is our ally who really helps with Israel and Palestine. In addition, you have the Suez Canal. That canal is responsible for the transport of military and civilian ships between the Med Sea, Adriatic Sea to places like the Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean. Tunisia, Yemen, Egypt and the other nations of the Arab Nation are watching this closely. This could be a truly potential powder keg. Whoever ends up in charge, we must embrace them as a country immediately.

January 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  19. CHARLIE

Is Yemen more heavily armed that the US?

January 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  20. TLKoss

El baridi would be only a transitional figure until Elections

January 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Heather - Spokane, WA

It is time that the dictatorship style of ruling that some countries have come to an end. It is not how people and governments should live

January 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Starr, thanks!
    Am a little not so happy about the lack of reporting about this.

January 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Sean Ulczycki

I agree with Adriana that the military can't fight the citizens.. But what's going to happen to the government in the mean time?

January 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Nina

That is the major concern... the rippling effect from these demonstrations and what would be the best way to keep individuals safe.

January 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Nathaniel

I must say one good thing about Mubarak. He protected the minorities for thirty years. Egypt was a safe place for Christians, Jews, Nubians. There used to be a machine gun stationed outside our synagogue to protect us. I was never so happy to see a bunch of soldiers. I really honor those young Egyptian conscripts. They were real heroes, protecting the people.
    Not all revolutions lead to democracy. I haven't been to Egypt for a long time, but I'm thinking of my friends there tonight.

January 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  26. CHARLIE

@ Lisai
    The same measure taken under the guise of security of vital installation. The thinking and planning to provide that security are in government hands and can be used equally to turn them off.

January 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Emily

@Merl,Ohio,
    I know that President Hosni Mubarak is showing dictatorship now, however, it sounds like he did something before which made the people extremely upset for them to get to the point to demand that he step down. I wonder what that was?

January 28, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  28. TLKoss

The Egyptian Military officers have too much at stake with the US Military to crack-down on the protesters. How long before these demonstrations get back to Iran?

January 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Errol

The astonishing cutting of the internet and mobile phone communication in a fairly well developed country of 85 million is a globally dangerous precedent that oppressive governments around the world will be examining carefully. All leaders of democratic nations should strongly condemn. Glad that President Obama did. Sad that my own country's Prime Minister did not.

January 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Emily, "Do you think that Mohamed El Baradei would be a positive successor?"

I think he has the qualifications, but I am not sure he has the support. Last I heard he was under house arrest.

January 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  31. Gregory Webber

If you believe that the Islamic Brotherhood are a peaceful group, you all have blinders on. Yes, they have been living in the background for many years. They have been laying in wait for an action that is happening at this time. I lived in Egypt for 6 years, I was approached numerous time to come to there underground meetings. I have talked with many of there group on the streets of Egypt. They are far from a peaceful group, they don't follow the basic tenants of Islam, of which means peace. They support suicide bombers and terrorism. If they come to power no American Muslim or none Muslim will be safe in Egypt.

January 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Adriana

The army can't continue to kill or fight their own brothers and sisters...no surprise there, Omar.

January 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Shukri Hussein

Hosni Mubarrak needs to step down or change his ways of serving the country. Its obvious the citizens of Egypt see him as the problem and not the Government resignation.

January 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Ellen

Unbelievable that Facebook and twitter can be used to start revolutions.

January 28, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes, He should have take control his power for 30 years now, They wanted him out of his office. But he might lose his power right now. I am sure.

January 28, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  36. bob siddiqui

Can not the US govt allow a satellite to beam free internet to Egypt?

January 28, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Tom

I've actually heard quite the opposite about the MB based off of reports from the area where MB members were trying to help calm the violence and keep the protests peaceful.

January 28, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  38. CHARLIE

One of the procalimed hopes around the US role in Iraq was that it would "spark" democracy accross the middle east. In most cases that will be like Egypt with US friendly dictator being overthrown. Be careful what you hope for!

January 28, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  39. Emily

I wonder if there would be less violence & looting if the communications were turned back on? There was none of that before...just people protesting peacefully.

January 28, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, Ohio

The Muslim Brotherhood may not have been a strong force in the rioting so far, but they certainly encourage this type of thing, especially with all the media attention.

January 28, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  41. lisal -canada

the fact that the government was able to completely shut down the ISP (Internet Service Providers) and cause a complete blackout really blew me away – we should not take our external communications for granted – do we even remember what it was like before global connections were an everyday thing?

January 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Adriana

I am just surprised that no goups claimed charge of this movement yet...when somebody will do that, we'll know more about who is going to rule the country and what that means to us...

January 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Merl,Ohio

Emily, President Hosni Mubark of Egypt was and is showing dictatorship. Heard his wife and son have fled the country. Willing to get rid of his government but he himself will stay in power. Dictatorship.

January 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Sean Ulczycki

@Arthur I don't feel as though we are supporting an 'oppresive' regime in Egypt.

January 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    Ivan Watson always covers these stories so well. There's so much in many different countries going on right now.
    Do you think that Mohamed El Baradei would be a positive successor?

January 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Nicole The Netherlands

I heard reports that Mubarak's family already has fled the country.
    I do hope that if he goes, there will be real democracy!
    Egypt is very devided and there is an minority of christians. I am curious to witch groups are demonstrating.

January 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  47. ashraf

I'm Egyptian and if i know Egyptians i can tell you right now they are not going to back down until Mubarak leaves the country

January 28, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Yasir Kuoti

i do not understand why other western democratic nations are silent in supporting the Egyptians' acts and pursue of democracy ...

January 28, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  49. André Pedroso

Another thing I forget is about the Web, is the government crack down on internet and about the social networking (blocks)?

January 28, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  50. CHARLIE

Wow 80 million people, that is bigger than the UK and about a quarter of the US. I did not realise it was so populous.

January 28, 2011 at 10:19 pm |