January 11th, 2011

Witness says he goofed, Jackson could have given himself fatal dose

Alan Duke
CNN

Los Angeles (CNN) - The prosecution's expert witness in the case against Dr. Conrad Murray admitted Tuesday he made a math mistake and that the recalculation supports the theory that Michael Jackson may have given himself the fatal dose of propofol.

Propofol is a surgical anesthetic that the Los Angeles coroner ruled killed Jackson in combination with several sedatives found in his blood.

Dr. Richard Ruffalo, an anesthesiologist hired by the prosecution, was the last witness before both sides rested in the preliminary hearing, held to decide if the involuntary manslaughter charge against Murray will go to trial.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor is expected to announce his decision later Tuesday.

"I actually made a mistake on that," Ruffalo said during cross-examination, referring to his calculation of the levels of propofol in Jackson's stomach fluid.

The admission drew an audible gasp from Jackson family members sitting in court.

Murray's lawyers suggest a frustrated and sleepless Jackson may have poured the surgical anesthetic propofol into his juice bottle while the doctor was out of his bedroom.

"Now it doesn't make sense unless he ingested it orally in a huge amount," Ruffalo testified.

But he said Murray would still be at fault, because he left dangerous drugs near a patient who was addicted.

Full story

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Michael Jackson
  1. Mary

I believe we should all face reality that Michael did have trouble with drug addiction. Personally, I've been back and forth on the theory. If you look at his life in general, I guess you can see that he did have drug problems. On the other hand, there was a lot of made up stories about him, this could be one of them. Either way, I'm glad Murray will stand trial.

January 12, 2011 at 3:29 am |
  2. Rasell Don-eXs

I am beginning to believe the tucson situation though sad is what the general american public especially its hypocrit media like. Instead of fixing the real source of the problem they rather wait until acts like this occure for them to be imotionally analysing and debating in vain.How many times have we not heard of news as the tucson?shame on you all voters in america..

January 11, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  3. Rasell Don-eXs

January 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  4. Rasell Don-eXs

Iam not surprise at the recent admission by Dr. Richard Ruffalo,the anesthesiologist hired by the prosecution, that MJ might have given or let me say poured himself the propofol thateventually killed him , reason is, what will u do if u were MJ whom more than excellence is required always.What if MJ went into an agreement with the doctor,paid him a huge sum so that gradually he MJ will use the propofol and other sedatives over a period and then exit this world to the disappointment of his numerous fans who will forever hold him a legend and icon in their heart.Remember the doc knows MJ several years hence anything is very possible.

January 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Merle Dunn

Dr.Murray is guilty of killing Michael Jackson,all he cared about was getting $100,000 or $150,000 that he was being paid each week to care for Jackson. Yes,Jackson was
    an addict,he had money & could get all the medicine or drugs he wanted. I think that doctors should be held accountable for the
    prescriptions that they write when they know that person is abusing the use of those medications. I have a chronic illness that keeps me in pain all the time all over my body,& I take several medications, but my doctor monitors my medications & I am limited to how many I can take a day,or month. No,I am
    not rich, but I know that if I wanted to get
    additional medications I could, but I am not an
    addict so I don't need more medications.The same with Anna Nicole Smith she had people that would get the medications for her as they could get money from her. I pray that in this case that Dr.Murray is found guilty & gets a really tough sentence, maybe it would wake up those doctors who will do anything for money from those people who do have money & are addicts.
    I am glad Michael Jackson's children are doing
    well.

January 11, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Annie Kate

The doctor should have known better but the basic fault lies with Jackson himself especially if he administered the fatal dose himself. It was Jackson's addiction, which he would not get treated and cured of, that drove these events that resulted in his death, and that addiction stemmed from the decisions of Jackson himself.

January 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  7. Rita Bosico

Michael Jackson is not on trial - Dr Conrad Murray his attending physician is. Focus on the egregious abandonment of Murray and the many many ways he lied, covered up evidence, withheld truth to EMTs and ER doctors, was texting and talking on the phone - before calling 911, etc. Come on CNN. The autopsy showed Michael was healthy and had no – repeat NO SIGNS – of drug abuse, alcoholism - nothing. The buden falls on CONRAD MURRAY. Keep the main thing the main thing, please.

January 11, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  8. sony thomas

Does it mean that it was a suicide? If so why did he do so? How can a normal person mistakenly pour surgical anesthetic propofol into his juice bottle?

January 11, 2011 at 7:59 pm |