December 20th, 2010

Humane Society president open to Michael Vick owning dogs again

CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) - The head of one of America's biggest animal protection organizations said Thursday that Michael Vick, who served prison time for his role in a deadly dogfighting operation, should have the opportunity to bring a dog home - in due time.

Related video: Michael Vick added to The RidicuList

Humane Society President Wayne Pacelle told HLN's Jane Velez-Mitchell that the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback shouldn't get a pet immediately and should have to meet certain milestones whenever he does. But Pacelle, whose group has worked with Vick in public outreach efforts, said that it would be wrong to close the door to his ever having a dog again.

"He's been going through counseling, he's been speaking to kids twice a month, and he needs to interact with animals," said Pacelle. "If he continues to hit these markers, then if his daughter wants a dog two or three years down the line,... I'm saying that we should be open to that possibility."

Under the terms of his conviction, Vick is currently barred from owning an animal. But the Newport News, Virginia, native this week told The Grio, a news website focused on an African-American audience, that he would "love to have another dog in the future."

"I think it would be a great step in my rehabilitation process," Vick said. "Just to have a pet in my household and show people that I genuinely care, (to show) my love and my passion for animals, I think, would be outstanding."

Full story

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow
  1. Eri Suzaki

Animals should not have to be sacrificed (again) for the sake of his rehabilitation.

December 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  2. Mr. Greene

We are talking about someone who has payed he debt to society, went to jail and is doing everything that is required of him from those who are in authority. How long are we going to keep Michael in prison. Oh, I forgot he's been released. I think it's a good thing for him to own a pet in the future. Now let focus on some more serious issues facing this country, like getting our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan you think! Dog fighting, it's not going away.

December 21, 2010 at 8:56 am |
  3. Kate F.

Absolutely not!!!!! I have heard people say that he has served his time and we, as a society, should give him another chance. To those people, I pose this question: if a convicted pedophile served his/her time, would you then be comfortable allowing that person to teach, mentor or spiritually lead YOUR child?

Perhaps he has learned his lesson. I would prefer not to give him the opportunity to re-offend in the even that he has not. This is a living creature we are talking about.

December 20, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  4. Caren Curtiss

I recently was turned down after applying for a dog at a Humane Society because I own an unneutered male dog (Show Dog). AND they will allow Vick to own a dog again. Never. I taught H-4 kids for 23 years about dogs..and Vick's done 2 months of speaking about dog fighting to school children. Really UNJUST.

December 20, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  5. Marie Wilson - Pottsville, PA

I think Michael Vick should be allowed to own a dog. I think he has paid his dues and people need to get over what he has done and move on. I mean really, has PETA or the Humane Society gone after Sarah Palin for hunting? I mean after all, she is shooting defenseless animals in the woods or from the air. I guess that's ok because it's because it is "hunting".

December 20, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Mike

Michael Vick wants another dog, and this guy thinks it's ok, even therapeutic? Is he nuts? That's like a convicted child molester wanting to adopt. No difference.

December 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Lessie

If the man has the humility to cutely say he wants a "puppy," he's already winding down–Oh, let him have it.

December 20, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Barbara Anderson

I would like to see Wayme Pacelle's bank account.....I wonder how much Michelle Vick paid Pacell to say that he would be a good dog owner. Pacelle should be fired!

December 20, 2010 at 6:06 pm |