AC360 Wednesday 8p

Investigators are analyzing data from the Bluefin-21. The latest on the search for Flight 370 live on AC360.
December 11th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards' funeral to take place amid possible protests

CNN Wire Staff

Raleigh, North Carolina (CNN) - As mourners gather to commemorate the life of Elizabeth Edwards on Saturday afternoon, picketers from a Kansas-based church - along with counter-protesters - could change the mood outside the funeral.

Edwards, the estranged wife of former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, died Tuesday after a lengthy battle with breast cancer. She was 61.

Related video: Elizabeth Edwards in her own words

Representatives for the Edwards family confirmed that the service will be held at the Edenton Street United Methodist Church in Raleigh, where the Edwards family worships. The 1 p.m. funeral, which will be open to the public, will include eulogies from daughter Cate Edwards and longtime friends Hargrave McElroy and Glenn Bergenfield.

Edwards will then be buried at Raleigh's Historic Oakwood Cemetery, according to office manager Sharon Freed. Earlier this week, Freed told CNN about the proximity of the burial to Edwards' son Wade, who was buried at the cemetery after dying in a 1996 car crash.

"He is already interred there in a space. And she will be interred there beside him," Freed said.

Full story

1. Paula J Countryman

The leader of Westboro spouts his hatred and prayers for death to those people whom he (not God) perceives as sinners. I've always been taught that God was love and forgiveness and that people like the Westboro church are akin to the Pharisee leaders, hypocrites and Anti-Christs. Really, shouldn't we all ask ourselves who we would rather spend eternity with? Those hate filled mongers or someone like you Anderson and Elizabeth, Teddy Kennedy, the thousands of fallen soldiers..need I go on?

December 11, 2010 at 7:35 pm |
  2. Alice Johnson

If these people are shining examples of Christianity, I hope I never a Christian.

December 11, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  3. ryan

Its people like this that screw up are freedom of speech for the rest of us. They need to realize that we will start to loose these freedoms if they continue with there ingnorance

December 11, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  4. Freddy

Its ridiculous that these 'people' have no respect for anyone but themselves and their agenda.

Rest in peace Elizabeth Edwards. Forever in our hearts.

December 11, 2010 at 2:29 pm |
  5. Brady Stephens

No matter your political party or opinion Elizabeth Edwards was a kind strong willed woman who cared deeply about issues like Gay Rights,Healthcare, and against the War in Iraq. she will be greatly missed and the Westboro Baptist Church with all their Fearmongering and hate rhetoric will not diminish this woman's legacy nor anyone elses for that matter with their words. I am of the opinion that everyone should have Free Speech but at the same time they are using their Free Speech right's to infringe upon the Edwards family right not to be slandered or libel and to have a private funeral. this day belongs to Elizabeth Edwards and the Edwards family and noone else!

December 11, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  6. Leon Fowler

Anderson- You will appreciate this. They were around my area a couple weeks ago so to drown there nasty words out I parked my car right in front of them, turned my radio all the way up and played lady gaga. I have not seen someone so irritated by the voice of lady gaga. :)

December 11, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  7. Altair Dematos

Tribute to Elizabeth Edwards:
    "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
    2 Timothy 4:7

December 11, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
  8. LISA

On Elizabeth Edwards funeral... Shame, Shame, on Protesters!!
    What happened?? to respecting Elizabeth Edwards of her passing away and her family.
    I feel that her childern and friends deserve this time to grief this wonderful woman.
    Who was and will always be remember as great wife, mother, friend.
    I feel we have the right of freedom of speech, but I think some individuals abuse the privilege.

December 11, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  9. Jackay

How sad that these "people" feel compelled to take their grievances to the funeral of a true lady. Isn't it enough that the family has lost their mother, cousin, friend...? If they want to picket, let them go to the local mall parking lot, downtown, anywhere else. There is no excuse for this protest, no reason for it, and it will accomplish nothing. And where do they get the "right" to speak for God? He is more than able to speak for himself and He just may speak directly to them, chastising them for such an irrevent act.

December 11, 2010 at 1:24 pm |
  10. Christine

I can't stop people from protesting Elizabeth Edwards Funeral but for all the hate that church spreads I want to spread love. I'm Donating $10 to Wade Edwards Foundation. I'm tired of this church hijacking funerals. If a ton of people do this, in the end we can be more of a blessing to the Edwards than the 10 people planning to be a nuisance.

December 11, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
  11. Eve Davis

Thank you to those who will stand up against the Westboro Church, they need to be shown what it means to be respectful.I pray that the head Baptist Church will no longer allow Westboro to be considered a Bapist Church, they bring shame and dishoner to all true christians. I think that where ever they protest the need to be met with those that protest against them. Peace and Grace to the Edwards family.

December 11, 2010 at 12:54 pm |