November 29th, 2010

The Birthers are Back: Join the Live Chat

The U.S. Supreme Court has rejected a case about President Obama's citizenship, but a Texas lawmaker isn't listening. He has a new bill based on birther doubts about where Mr. Obama was born. How does he reconcile his birther beliefs against the facts? We're keeping him honest. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sharon Hastings

Poor John McCain. The maverick who is no longer a maverick is no longer making any sense with his conflicting statements. He has my respect for his service to our country but he should step aside on this issue and allow another generation to make this decision.

November 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Dolly

Re: Leo Berman...of Texas.....one thing I did not hear in your discussion with him was that I believe Obama's mother was born in Missouri? Would that not make Obama an automatic citizen if his mother was a U S Citizen? I believe the 'birthers' are merely racists who hate Obama and they are running out of bad things to find for someone who is trying so hard to help the less than fortunate of which I am one.

3. Randy in PA

Great new format. Anderson, you are taking me back to the good old days of Mike Wallace and 60 minutes style interviewing. Keep up the great work and do keep them honest.

4. Diane L.

I'm appalled that an elected state representative can so blatantly spew inaccurate information. Embarrassing to say the least.

5. Sue R. Canton MI.

Sen.McCain is starting to wear his flip flops out when it comes to DADT. I understand they have to have studies,,but they seemed to have been going on for a long time.

6. john

Leo Berman has a small heart in a land as big as TEXAS. Frankly I think he has a big issue with coulored man in the White House. Too bad, that is life.

7. Anne

Which John McCain do you believe then or now?

8. Victoria seeley

I believe that if any child is born to an American citizen no matter where they are in the world, that the child is automatically a citizen of the United States.

9. Donna Pica

Great job, Anderson. The Republicans can STILL not get over the fact that there is a competent, articulate man in the WH, unlike the last 2 terms. Berman is a fool!

10. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

John McCain is very insensitive to gay issues. It is maddening

11. Kim

I meant to type where is "his" birth certificate? Sorry for the typo.

12. Eric Walker, Miami Fl

When has Senator McCain had a firm position on any policy(ie tax cuts for the rich). All the years he has been in office the only bill that i can recall him anything to do with is finance reform which he is against today

13. Yemi

The birthers are just a bunch of lunatics who desperately crave attention. They ignore the facts because most of them cannot read or comprehend English.

14. Kathy

Just watched your interview with Rep. Leo Berman. He is an embarrassment to the U.S Congress. I admire him for his military service to our country, but he is not serving this country well in congress. This country has far more serious issues that need to be addressed. Let go of the birth certificate challenge Mr. Berman!!!

15. Nick Reems

John McCain is losing his mind I think:)

16. Ruth

We the people, have never had a president that has kept his childhood and rearing so buried.

17. Chad

And this guy makes decisions for thousands of people, thats tax payers money at work for you!
    There are bigger problems than this. The Tex is long over due for retierment. Thank you

18. Alice

New to this blog, but I'm a big fan of Anderson 360. I would not have had the patience that Anderson had to allow this extremely ill informed Berman to continue citing his non-facts. Thank's for exposing this guy and lets hope that the "minor media" doesn't quote him out of context to continue this birther madness.

19. Rob

John McCain is a Flip Flop. I served in the military and the last thing i was worried about was someones sexual orientation. John McCain was an Officer with his own private bathroom. What does he know?

20. Glenn

Anderson, your show is one of the few as the best source of news. Fox is facts based on opinion and MSNBC is opinion based on facts.

21. Larry

Amazing that we have elected officials with such skewed positions... But then again, with a scary 27% of Americans unsure of our President's citizenship, one should not be surprised by the fact we put people like Berman into office.

22. Ernesto Sanchez

now this is why this country is getting worse by the day instead of helping to get this country on its feet they want to ask questions on birth rights when they should be asking what can we do for our kids and our citizens on this hard times but they want to take and fill up their pockets and talk about racism.

23. Lori

Thanks for the clarification on the title...

24. Marilyn K Morgan

Good evening,

This ruckus about the birth certificate is just plain nonsense. I do extensive genealogy research & have obtained copies of many birth certificates. One of them is my mother's & it does not have an original signature, it is a stamp,just like on President Obama's, but that does not make it any less valid, just like it doesn't make Prsident Obama's any less valid.

These people who keep raising this issue need to focus on the REAL problems this country is facing, because they are enormous, and these distractions do nothing towads fixing those problems.

Keep up the great work Anderson,

Marilyn
    Fort Collins, Colorado

25. steve jay

hi, about the birthers, they are so full of hot air.
    The president is as American as apple pie. Mccain for example was born in Panama.
    There is a birth certificate for Pres. Obama, with a seal. I noticed just now, on my son's birth certificate, from a hospital here in brookly, that it does not have our names on it either and that is an official certificate.
    I am a young 60 year old, i do not remember any other president undergoing the scrutiny president obama had to endure the past few years. in my opinion it is not nice to put it mildly, plus it just seems the birthers have a hidden agenda, a bias against him for some reason.
    just wanted to share that.

26. Krista

More of question than comment, while these different organazations are suing the President questioning is legitamacy who is responsible for his legal fees? Are we the people footing the 1.something million or is he. If its us are the people who support these organaztions aware of the fact that their costing the people of the U.S all of this money?

27. Karen

Birthers= AAAARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!! That's all I can say.

November 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Walter, Ville Platte LA.

The factual informatoin that was presented by Mr. Anderson on tonight's show confirms my previous statement. Thank you.

29. joe

Leo Berman got crushed on ac360. This made my night. This funniest thing I have seen in a while.lol

30. Billy Woolard

I met Leo Berman over thirty years ago, He could not tell the truth back then.

31. Jill

Good Evening Anderson,
    The feeling I have about the birthers is, that they can not get beyond the color of the president period. McCain was born in Panama would they be questioning if he was president?

32. Scott

I can't believe that these birthers will just not let it go. I really believe that these people are just racists and they hide behind the birth certificate allegations to spread their hate. What a disgrace.

33. Marie Wilson - Pottsville, PA

Are you kidding me??? How many times does this have to come up already. He met the requirements, he is the POTUS, get over it already! Way to go Anderson for calling him out for not giving factual information. We all know the internet can be used to cut and paste things to person who is using it's benefit.

34. Valerie

If President Obama's mother is a US citizen, then her children are automatically also citizens regardless of where they were born.

35. Mark Spera

It's hard to believe people like Leo Berman actually serve in our government. I would love to give this guy an IQ test and see what he scores. No wonder our country is in such a mess. How many other complete dults like Leo Berman are sitting in our Congress?

36. Debra, Wa State

Thank you Anderson for attempting to keep this guy honest. Sadly, the poor man is not capable of honesty due to his hatred for the president. Unbelievable this man bases facts on internet bloggers who are ignorant as he is!

37. Jen

Thank you Anderson for sticking to the facts and not "rumors". It is most unfortunate that the US Senators have nothing better to do with their time than resurrecting issues long ago dealt with.

38. Brad

Great Job Anderson...Congressman Berman obviously has recieved his information from a bubble gum machine. Aside from serving his country he needs to get a book a do some reading.

39. Ruth

Good job Anderson.
    I just wish that the good people of Texas were watching and wondering why they reelected someone who is dead set on wasting their tax dollars on something like this instead of working towards making their lives better.

40. Kevin

Bravo Anderson Cooper. I really enjoyed watching your interview. I hope Leo Berman has done much better for the State of Texas than this to deserve his tax-payer position.

Long live The Mole :)

41. Maria

I can't believe Mr Berman got elected is that the best he can do with his time, and we pay his salary!!!!

42. Jo

I don't think Mr. Berman should be given any more air time to spew his hate and false agenda. The fact that he served in the military should not be used to demand respect he no longer deserves from the public.

43. Atticus

Leo Berman appears to be somewhat dillusional:
    part the late Sen Joe McCarthy (R) Wis. and part Caine Mutiny.
    Anyone have the key to the strawberry jar..... ?

44. Betty

Maybe this guy needs to buy a ticket to Hawaii and have a look at the birth certif. Then he should come back to Texas, apoligize to our President, and then shut his mouth, once and for all.

45. Joan

As a Republican, I didn't even vote for President Obama. But, enough is enough about the whacko's who don't think that he is a citizen. Republicans and Democrats should be working together to fix the economy! What ever happened to all of those United We Stand t-shirts that were printed after 9/11?!

46. Sabine, Washington DC

The ignorance of this Texan is just unbelievable! Thanks Anderson for insisting for answers and revealing this incredible spread of lies!

47. Lexie

Seems to me that the Supreme Court is afraid of the truth and all you are influenced by main stream media to not do your own research and just believe CNN.

48. cindy

Thanks, Anderson, for attempting to address the elephant in the room with your question about the "real problem" that Leo Berman has with Obama...unfortunately, it's easier to just flat out deny what we all readily know about folks like Berman – bigotry is difficult to disguise.

49. Jan Gubrud

Anderson, I am so grateful that you are able to keep the truth out there for the public – I find it so difficult to even listen to the people who spread these false rumors about our President. I was not "proud" of President Bush but I did respect his office as USA President.

50. Ken

It doesn't matter how much evidence you produce these people will never believe it. A lot of it is political, but most of it is racial. As long as they keep the topic warm for the next election, they will. It's all for votes.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9