November 29th, 2010

The Birthers are Back: Join the Live Chat

The U.S. Supreme Court has rejected a case about President Obama's citizenship, but a Texas lawmaker isn't listening. He has a new bill based on birther doubts about where Mr. Obama was born. How does he reconcile his birther beliefs against the facts? We're keeping him honest. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Pam

Anderson, you are the greatest!
    Let's let the people in the military decide if they want gays in the military.

November 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  2. nolan

i want to see a photo of the original birth certificate Anderson. i believe Obama is a natural born citizen, but with so much speculation and controversy i think this could clear it up.
    I just want to know the truth.

November 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Karen, MN

Wow, I can't believe people still don't believe president Obama isn't a us citizen.

November 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  4. James

Hi Anderson, welcome back. I can not believe that people still have to try and pull a great man trying to do a very hard job.

November 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Dianep

Thank you, Anderson! Some people are entirely too emotional and unable to recognize (or acknowledge) that their reactions are merely based on unsubstantiated fear. Thanks again for focusing on the facts and stats.

6. Barbara Cochran

Thank you Anderson for keeping to the facts. It wasn't very long into the program that it was clear this Texas politician was all about bias, and not facts. I agree with the earlier comment that the root of the issue for this person is that our president is not a white guy or a conservative.

7. Wayne McCollough

This guy won't admit it, but it is all about politics. The Birthers keep stirring the pot to deflect attention from the real issues.

8. Bob

If I understood the requirement Mr. Berman wants to include in his bill – the birth certificate must list the place of birth of the mother and father, then my wife and perhaps many other New York citizens can never be president. My wife's certified New York State birth certificate does not contain this information.

9. Mark

From down here in New Zealand it seems people like Mr Birman and the far right of American politics in general just can't get over the fact that there is a black man in the White House and it is driving them nuts (not that they need to go far!)

10. AllyK

Anderson, what a great job interviewing Leo Berman. I totally lost my patience with him less than halfway through the segment! I have no idea how you stay so calm. Very well done!

11. Ron

Thank you Anderson for showing the intellectual level, of the kind of representation, that the fine people of Texas think is reasonable to make laws in this country.

12. Dennis

Politics is just a pure nightmare. He couldn't present a single fact

13. Rosanne

Way to go Anderson! Thank you! Only you and Jon Stewart devote any mainstream media time to putting these extremists on the spot when they spew non-factual information. You didn't let him get away with it. Thank you!

The frustration on your face was palpable. By the way, that is exactly what PMS feels like. 😉

Rosanne
    NY

14. Sheri

Now that is real journalism...Consistently fact checking...That is why I love Anderson Cooper. He stays on top of his game. Great job Anderson! Keep up the good work!!

15. Austin

It is truly sad what lies have spread across this country regarding our President. It's nice to have people bring out the truth like you do Anderson.

16. Ann - San Jose

I thought CNN had lost its edge but channel-surfing led me to the Keeping them Honest interview with Leo Berman – Congrats! Now I would like to hear about the effort Obama made to bring Republicans into the process and how he was rebuffed. We hear the comment "I won" but never all the "stuff" that led up to it. I will tune in again.

17. John Mattsen

Finally, finally, finally the press is doing it's job! Bravo Anderson Cooper! I think I'll start watching your program again

18. Colleen

I love Anderson's interviews! It is a shame that Berman cares so deeply about this farce issue. Maybe he should use his energy towards real American issues.

19. Sue from Syracuse

McCain talks from 4 sides of his mouth. What a shame!

20. Ilia

Why is this even an issue, Barack Obama is already a president. If American people didnt think he was elegible for the job they would not have elected him in the first place.

21. Carole

What has happened to John McCain?

22. Lee

I am a teacher and constantly lecture my students about relying on anonymous (or 'unjuried') websites or blogs. How sad that politicians haven't learned the same critical skills. That was an excruciating interview between anderson and a man who wears ignorance as a proud badge of honor. Shame on him. Shame on our country.

23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I think you're right about congressman Berman doesn't know where president Obama was born...... Keep him Honest!! 🙂

24. Jeff C

Anderson- my comngrats to you on pushing Leo Berman to discuss the "real" facts ... we have all had enough of the half truth, exagerations and lies that have become the official "news" on cable TV. Walter Cronkite where are you these days! Anderson – we need more of what you did tonight ...report the NEWS.

25. Nate - Minnesota

I guess everything is big in Texas. That Congressman was a big disgrace.

26. Blaik

Go get em Anderson!!!

27. dwain

Its a shock to me this man was voted into congress

28. Julie

Wow, I'm really afraid that Mr. Berman represents the state I live in. Seems his hatred is deeper than politics and is more about skin color. With this "old school" mentality, this guy needs to seriously think about retirement.

29. Debrah

Hi Anderson,Thanks for giving the Birthers the facts which they lacked. I enjoyed the debate.God Bless you

30. Tony

Just watched the interview with the individual from Texas. What a disgrace to this country. While many of are fighting for our lives there are people who run govt. that concentrate their time on someones birth. This man is ignorant and shouls not be representing this great country.

31. Kenneth

I TOTALLY agree with Libby. This is ridiculous. There is not much else of a reason than race for these "birthers" to still hold on to being horribly wrong. This really and truly sad.

32. Lauren

I love you Anderson Cooper, you keep it real!! I'm not heavy into politics, it gets way too personal way too fast, but that guy couldn't get his lies together fast enough. Seems as if his opinion is based on a lies and hearsay...

33. Pat B

Anderson, I think you spoke with him a little too long, after a while, the conversation was just kinda'sad on his part.

34. Kevin

Anderson, The senator from Texas scares me more than President Obama not being a citizen. This well read politician can't seem to get reliable information to base his opinions on, Iwonder if he uses this same reliable information to make senatorial decisions for the public. Another note, I was born in Texas, I don't have an original birth certificate either, can't get one anymore, the place that held the paper copy burned down.

35. Kathy, UT

Anderson Cooper is a sane voice crying in the wilderness! His question about whether the State Senator's belief is based on politics should have been honestly answered with a resounding "YES!"

36. Kae

It's time the Republicans take on real issues. Instead of saying "no" about some solutions to education, war, social security and the economy. These republicans have vowed to not support any agenda put forth by the Dems. and this seems to be acceptable. I wish I could have a job that I could go to everyday, refuse to work and still get paid and re elected.

37. Michael G.

it's funny how no other president's citizenship was ever challenged. where's the justification or reasoning.

38. Sonia

Thank you for debunking these lunatics on air and being curtious at the same time. It'a a gift.

39. Kumar R.

This Texas lawmaker needs to removed from power by impeached. He proves that he is to dangerous to have any power at all.

40. Joann

Unfortunately this guy doesn't have enough to do. If you bring up the CNN polls and it supports the opponents point........you have a problem.

41. Jeff

Leo Berman just repeatedly made verifiably false statements to the people of the USA and to his constituents in Texas. He should be impeached or recalled.

42. Paul, Wi

Nice job Anderson...the new Joe Friday

43. Janis

The birthers want to block Obama from the next election. It's worth it to keep it alive for them.

November 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  44. connie kasparian

could these people give up on this its old....we have more important things to talk about...why waste your time and ours on this...talk about the party of no saying yes to help our country..we have plenty of time to discuss 2012 elections...

November 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  45. John

Finally a news organization that uses facts not fear mongering. Thanks Anderson. Good piece, good digging. More patience than Job.

November 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Gary W. Mott

No one in the republican party is questioning John McCain. Was he not born in Panama. NOT the U.S.A. He can't run for high Office
    Gary

November 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Paula, Colorado

The bombing attempt at the Christmas tree-lighting is pretty sad.

November 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  48. bearfan

wow...that guy was scary...AC was too nice to him...shows what a class act AC is!

November 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  49. alex

all this is lame we are all one world if we bomb ourself we are killing our selfs why can we just get along Hu??

November 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Phil

Thank you Anderson Cooper for challenging Leo Berman's erroneous beliefs. I am just astonished over what intelligent people are capable of believeing dispite evidence to the contrary. He may not change his mind but you did a great job challenging him.
    Phil