November 18th, 2010

Ban on Earmarks?: Join the Live Chat

Lawmakers in both parties are now making a big deal out of banning earmarks. But is this political gamesmanship to avoid tough decisions needed to fix the nation's finances? We're Keeping Them Honest. Tests are being done on a jawbone found on the beach in Aruba – the island where Natalee Holloway was last seen in 2005. So is it Natalee? We'll put that question to a forensic scientist. Plus, our Amazing Animals series. Man's best friend is smarter than you think. Dog behavior expert Cesar Milan joins us.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

German Sheppard's are often the seeing-eye dogs.
    If not, it's a Lab, and those are the only two breeds that I know of off hand that they can train. What they can train them to do is truly impressive. To be the eyes, etc. for a person.

November 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Carrie

Hi John,
    Thanks for having my favored guy Cesar Milan!!!

November 18, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  3. Emily

It's funny. people think that they are the ones that are in control of everything, yet our 'children', 'pets', the 'weather', 'traffic', etc. really have so much more control. Not to mention 'time'!

November 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Dogs are very smart. They can figure out many things and stay at it until they solve it. I too think their breed and the class of dog (working dog, sporting dog, etc.) also contributes to the way they see the world.

November 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Dottie

Wow!! That cylinder test was very interesting.

November 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Libby

I love dogs too Megan! I adopted two rescue mutts and they're my buddies. 😀

November 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  7. Emily

This couple that I know have a dog and the minute that each one of them walks into the house, their dog behaves differently towards each of them. Runs to the couch for one and jumps on the other for a walk outside. Interesting.

November 18, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Libby,
    Labs will take months or years to check if the person match hers or him.

November 18, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Libby

I have my two scruffy rescue mutts sitting here with me while I watch the dog segment. 😀

November 18, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Dottie

How does being a gambling addict excuse murder? And how would that have been a reason for Natalee?

November 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  11. Emily

@Sharon Hastings
    Could you imagine finding something like a jawbone when "on vacation"? Yikes! That's not the way that I'd want to remember mine.

November 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Mara Howard-Indiana

What is truly sad is that our country is a baby in the sceme of things. We in this country have a babies mentality. We want it now. There is a payday for everything. Then we sit in the mess we've made and cry about it.

November 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  13. lisal -canada

animal science studies are always interesting

November 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Awwwwww!!! I love dogs, I always teach dog how to trick like that, they are best, smart, cute dogs! 🙂

November 18, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Emily

I wonder if it has to do with the breed of dog?
    Not every dog can be a seeing eye dog for example. A German Sheppard vs. a Poodle

November 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Rondell. Indianapolis

Jordan did it and if law enforcement in america had the case totally it would be solved by now. If Jordan did not do it he knows who did

November 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Libby

Oh boy! Gorillas last night and pups tonight. Love the animal segments! 😀

November 18, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Sharon Hastings

@ Emily. Some vacationers found it on a beach and turned it in at the desk of their hotel.

November 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  19. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

So he is an addict and a sociopath. Lovely~

November 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Mara Howard-Indiana

It's all a popularity contest in government. The real spending that needs some cuts are medicaid- there are so many people on it that can work but choose to use the system. I understand their are ones that really need it as well. Then there is medicare- I agree we need to up the age to get it. People are living longer, and the age of the baby boomers, wow, the money needed. Military there are ways that we can cut some spending by not making our country unsafe. There are ways to streamline some of their systems that would save a ton.

November 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  21. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Very bold of Natalee's mother to approach Joran and try to get a confession from him. I can see how this could help her move on in life, but the implications for confessing are very bad for Joran and I think he knows that. On top of that to say give me your address and I'll write you (after she made a long trip to get to Peru in the first place).

November 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Emily

I've heard that the #1 place to find DNA is in the tooth...no matter how much time goes by, the teeth are the strongest part of the human body.

November 18, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Sharon Hastings

Joran first told someone he dumped her in the swamp there so maybe that was the truth. That beach is near the swamp.

November 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  24. Emily

How did they find the jawbone?

November 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Mr Steve from Illinois

If they would cut out the 80 Billion in ear marks and use it on Social Security and Medicare, would that not be better then taking about cutting them?

November 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  26. Rondell. Indianapolis

Barack Obama is a tiny piece of the puzzle. with the checks and balances system of goverment the senate and the house have to start up and approve bills to go to the president to veto or approve. do not put the blame on Barack Obama he is peanuts compared to the rest of the goverment as a whole. If we do not work together nothing in this country will change for the better and it will be our huge loss.

November 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jordan busted!!!!! he lied to Natalee's mom!!!!!

November 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Libby, I've seen interviews where Republicans have been specific.

November 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  29. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Van de Sloot is disqusting. Poor natalie's mom
    Who besides me does not believe Van De Sloot. Ha difficult to talk to the Mother of a girl he murdered? What a jerk

November 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Emily

@Sharon Hastings,
    Thanks. That was the first that I had heard of that case. Sounds very brutal and sad.

November 18, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Libby

I wonder how long it will take for the lab in Holland to identify the jaw bone?

November 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Janis

Follow all the bills presented in the House and Senate and to the President's desk on the Library of Congress digital site 'Thomas'. Sign up for RSS and get updates automatically everytime changes occur. You can read the bills in their entirety, every detail. Lots of information. It's all transparent, you just need to know where to go to be informed and judge for yourself.

November 18, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Sharon Hastings

@ Emily. I understand they have arrested a man who has a history of sexual violence and spent some years in prison.

November 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Libby

Mike, did you see the clip? They asked a whole slew of Republicans to name just one item they'd cut (since they ran on it) and they couldn't come up with anything or just tried to change the subject. :/

November 18, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Chris

Its amazing to me that as a small business owner I have to set a budget..pay my bills on time..pay my income tax and sales tax when due and have enough disipline to not spend more then I have..yet my Congress and Senate have absolutely no idea of what fiscal responsibility is and spend my taxpaying money like its there to spend..how shameful..when will Democrats and Replublicans wake up and realize that this can not continue and need to make sacrificies like the rest of us..

November 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Libby, Many Republicans say cut everything back to 2008 spending levels.

November 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Dan

When I say earmarks are hidden, I mean relative to the bill that is being passed, they become obscurred by what the bill is focused on addressing, so most people do not know that they are there.

November 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Libby

It's pretty neat that the GM bailout is turning out to be a good thing. Finally, good financial news!! 😀

November 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Emily

Wow, did Susan just say that a 13-year old boy admitted to that murder-kidnapping?

November 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  40. Sharon Hastings

I'm not sure there can ever be closure when your child is murdered, but I hope the family can have some knowledge finally and some evidence about what happened. I heard that Joran van der Sloot was supposed to give accurate information soon in some kind of hopeful trade with his criminal situation but he's such a liar.

November 18, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Libby

You're right Albert. Both parties take advantage of earmarks. I just don't understand the Republicans who run campaigns against them, but are unable to name one single item they'd cut. Just crazy!

November 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Albert, the disrespect if for the person in the office, not the office itself. Respect must be earned.

November 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Greg

I agree with Roland. Cuts to the budget, even small should be reviewed. 1% over 20 years! That's 20%. They should also review salaries for congress and their benefits. They hardly work anyway. Always on the campaign.
    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"

November 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Rondell. Indianapolis

I say ban earmarks period. Only have individual bills. unfortunately I feel the corporate and wall street lobbyist will prevail. Our goverment is not by the people for the people anymore.it is for those you have the money to buy votes. the worst is yet to come. more debautchery.

November 18, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Emily

@Dottie,
    I think that the jails would be full of people who didn't pay taxes for seventeen years! Wow, that's a longtime.

November 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  46. scott a love

Ive been a democrat my whole life. Im trying to understand how all of you with money (democrat or republican) can even think about changing social security. You can spend money on wars and ear marks but not your own people.
    I hope you can sleep at night. I will changing my party when there is one that I believe in.

November 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Albert

Both parties takes advantage of earmarks.The GOP should focus on real issues like job creation and not grand standing on earmarks.They should respecting the office of president. Other countries are watching the disrespect that the US is showing that office.

November 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Interesting "fight" between Roland and Dana. Actually, they both have good points but don't see eye to eye on anything regarding Charlie Rangel. Uhhh...blaming the press, the neverending story of the day.

November 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Emily

@Megan,
    I hope that they do find Natalee Holloway. I think that it would give her parents some peace. Of course, they will never find "Closure"; that's such a hollow word, yet they could move on, I'd hope. Must be horrible 'not knowing'.

November 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Great act by Rangel. The only thing he's sorrow for is getting caught.

November 18, 2010 at 10:25 pm |