November 11th, 2010

Amazon Removes Pedophilla Books, Others Remain: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, profiting from pedophilia. After our report last night, Amazon.com finally pulled a controversial how-to book telling pedophiles what they can get away with. This morning, they pulled another pro-pedophilia book by the same author. But as we'll show you tonight, there are any number of similar books with content just as disturbing still being sold on their site.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Polly

Now you can see why the Bible says that "the love of money is the root of all evil." Money first; morality somewhere down there at the bottom.

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Julie

Was abused as a child and cannot understand the people at amazon who are allowing this book to be sold. Maybe there are pedophiles working at amazon who promotes these books

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Marcy

I have been a customer of Amazon's for years
    but after hearing your broadcast tonight I will
    be contacting Amazon to let them know that they have lost a customer. I find this to be
    unbelievable to have books of this kind for sale. I will not be buying anything from Amazon until they have withdrawn all of these
    kind of books.

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Linda D.

Consumers should boycott Amazon throughout the holidays. Hit them where it hurts for their unexcusable actions and slow response. Amazon should donate $1,000 for every book sold to an organization that advocates for the protection and safety of children from predators.

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Nicole The Netherlands

"our -our- (!) gardens of flesh", these are some serious sick people..
    Well Anderson looking forward to the interview with some CEO about from Amazon about the screening process, they apperently do not have.

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  6. Yvonne Hart

This is sick and discusting!!! I really don't get it. Why would anyone touch a child. Your own or someone elses? It's sick and imoral!!! Then to write a book on it!!! And for Amazon to promote it just shows what kind of people they are!!!I'm sorry but if you had any love and heart for any child you would not rape them; and being a pedophile is pretty much raping a child. Sick and discusting. I don't know how those people could live with themselves!!!

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  7. george ferreira

From South Africa:

Society has become to tolerant of such filth, we should unite globally and eridicate the world rom such sick people which think that its acceptable to voice there opinions at the expense of others. especially children which are most vulnareble.
    The problem is that we also talk wy to muc hand do to little

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am sure both parties have done things like this to gain a political advantage in elections.

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Alex

hi anderson
    amazon should not seel these kind of book ,they are profeting from these disgusting book.
    Alex,AZ

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  10. Lorraine Lindsay

I'm a middle school teacher; I've seen first-hand the damage that molestation does to a child. Mr. Greaves and his kind want to talk about people's rights? Fine – kids are people, and they have a right to be left alone to grow up normally. And in my opinion, anyone who says that people have a 'right' to buy and read these books should be looked at, closely, by their local law enforcement.

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  11. maureen

Why are't we going after the publisher.

If I am aware of the publisher I would not buys other books that they publish.

I agree boycotting Amazon and any other company selling that trash.

November 11, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  12. BERNICE KOHN

My experience with Jeff Bezos leads me to believe(know) that he is only interested in making $$$$. His lack of integrity becomes evident if you ever have an issue with Amazon.com. I am not one bit surprised that this book is being sold through Amazon, His ethics are sevely lacking. It is all about $$$$$. I would love to boycott this company!

13. colleen

this story even hit our local newspaper here in ottawa, canada. i have 3 family members with kindles. the cost was too much to just throw them out. but i will not buy anymore e books until amazon pulls theses disgusting pedopfile books. we all need to tell amazon that they are just wrong to even think of selling such books. i was so happy with amazon before this story. now, i am sorry that i bought anything from them. i am sure their kindle sales will drop off rapidly unless they take down these books immediately, and make a public apologize.

14. Melissa Collins

I am from Kentucky, I don't support McConnell, I think he has his own agenda, and know this....doesn't suprise me that he would do such a dirty political move. They need to focus on getting the economy back on track, he needs to help Obama and stop fighting for his own selfish wants.

15. Kenny P

Is there a way to cancel my Amazon account?
    As a victim/survivor of sexual abuse I refuse to knowingly support any company that takes this issue so lightly. This is truly unforgivable for me.

16. Emily

If this is true, why didn't President Bush say something back then? I'd have more respect for him then.

17. Eugenia - San Francisco

tonight's episode is making my stomach sick

i feel horrible cause i just placed an order with them a couple of hours ago.

18. Brian in TX

That is extremely unnerving!....I think the police need to hunt down this Greaves and put him behind bars. At the very least investigate him because he is basically admitting that he is a pedophile. Disgusting!!

19. Adriana

I couldn't believe this last night when I first saw your report and have not stopped thinking about how such a horrendous book can even be published "legally". Thank you for exposing this deprived individual, although he must be loving all the attention and hoping his sales go through the roof. How sad and scary a world we live in, but thanks again for "keeping them honest".

20. Jennifer

I wonder how many innocent children have been HURT by the so called AUTHOR of these sick publications? He should be investigated....It would be justice if John Walsh got to arrest him!!!!

(I guess my Christmas shopping will NOT be with amazon this year or in the future!) Poor poor business decision Amazon, shame on you!

21. May Seto

I am appalled by Amazon.com's actions regarding the pedophilia books. I will and will encourage friends and family to boycott Amazon.com. Unbelievable the silence from Amazon to not comment or take further action on this issue. This shows the low moral values the country is now suffering from and the tragic place we are now in we don't even protect our own children.

22. Richard

Concerning Amazon pitiful and morally wrong decision to sell this type of material, I say don't stop with just Amazon, what about the publishers of the book. They too have a moral decision to make as well. I say boycot them all.

Richard

23. Linda

I will never spend another dollar with Amazon.com! Their initial reaction was reason enough for my decision: Don't just pull the book; pull Amazon under.

24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Edward, "What about the publisher of these books and others, shouldn't they be called into question too?"

I think many E-books are self-published.

25. millie

I am a grandmother of nine and find this pedophile book absolutely disturbing and disgusting. I am an Amazon shopper and I will definitely think twice before ordering from them again.

November 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Laurie

Too little too late.I will never buy anything from Amazon.com again.

November 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  27. cliff

This is an wrong on so many levels that I can't believe its not outright illegal. No less than a public apology from the CEO of Amazon would be sufficient.

November 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Jo Ann, he really is creepy....and totally rationalizing his 'love' for children. That has nothing to do with true love for the children...it has to do with wanting to serve himself and his own desires.

November 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  29. June

Good Evening.....It is just disgusting!
    Amazon is run by I think Bezos(not sure of the spelling)

I was selling books but now I am going to close the account.

November 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  30. M L Avery

Thank you for standing up for children and telling us the truth about Amazon. Keep it up.

November 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  31. lisal -canada

there are lots of things to think about this whole pedophile topic – what i find the most difficult to understand is how the pedophiles can possibly interpret the child as being a willing participant – that disconnect is disturbing as it indicates complete internal justification which indicates a sense of the abuser really not feeling it is wrong

November 11, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Emily

@Nancy in Oregon,
    I know! When it comes to our children, and when things are spelled out SO Clearly! I have no idea WHY it's not? It really seems like it fits a layman's definition of incitement.

November 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Natalie

Amazon has disgusted me by their choice to sell these types of books. How can they be more concerned with profit than their own morals! People are sick, just sick!

November 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Samantha - MA

This Amazon story is just disgusting. My sister complained to Amazon when she saw a game for sale called "Stockholm", in which you are the kidnapper forcing your victim to stay through psychological and physical abuse. Is there any screening that these items have to go through? A line must be drawn.

November 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Agneta

I am so sick and tired of hearing people in this country use the "freedom of speech" excuse for everything. I come from Sweden, a country that is one of most developed in the world, where we have freedom of everything, including speech and tolerance to just about everything. But even there, pedophilia is plain wrong! Stop using "freedom of speech" as an excuse. Wrong is wrong, immorality is immorality. It has to do with Western values,, not with freedom of speech.

November 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Lynne Elmore

What about the publisher? Don't they have any responsibilty in this? I don't think they should be allowed to publish books like this. Why isn't this an issue also?

November 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Larry

Thank you for catching Amazon.com in this absolutely deplorable practice. How shocking is this discovery. They don't make enough revenue that that have to include these dispicable publications for their profit? I'll never do business with Amazon.com again for this. Keep up the great coverage on this story about their disgusting practices.

November 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Rosa

Anderson.. We need more people, programs like yours that refuse to let up until the job gets done. Amazon quit looking at the profits and protect our children.

November 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Andrea

I appreciate your common sense approach to this nightmare of a book. I will gladly boycott Amazon. I have to ask...is there ANY intellect running that company?

November 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Edward

Anderson, What about the publisher of these books and others, shouldn't they be called into question too? Maybe they are even worse for publishing these books.

November 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Sarah

Amazon is so sick for supporting this man! Anyone who supports this kind of stuff obviously does not have kids. I was told when I called Amazon to cancel my account that they have no control over what is sold on their site because it is all third person. What a load of poo.

November 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Starr, formerly known as vincent, "I miss being able to honor my father in person for being such a patriot and veteran."

I am sure that you honor him in your heart every day. I appreciate his service.

November 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, thank you for having John Walsh on your show.
    I think that with continued publications such as the ones on Amazon continue to demonstrate that children appear to have no real rights!

Until we can truly silence pedophines and their like, children will continue to be innocent victims of such distorted people, such as pedophines.

November 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Greaves is really creepy! Frightening to think that there is an audience out there for his kind of sick stuff.

November 11, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Sharon Hastings

Let's use common sense here. I'm sure pedophiles can get all the reading material they desire somewhere. There are plenty of places and websites to go to. But Amazon is a huge site and one of their specialties is toys and all things for children. If you can imagine a Walmart but on the Web, that's what they are. So, would you find a pro-pediphilia book next to the toys? Or where in the store? Let's get real. Clean it up Amazon!!

November 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson,

Thank you for getting the pedophilia book pulled. Keep protecting our children. I was a amazon junkie. I will not be buying anything from them. It is never okay to have sex with a child.

November 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Emily

Anderson, you must have had to have a long shower if you read several of them! Even one...yuck! I'm Really glad that you have read them however, to give us an explanation of what they actually say.

November 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Lisa in Louisville

Hasn't pedophilia been classified as a mental disorder? This guy is trying to say that pedophilia is a "sexual orientation?"

November 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Michelle

Just checked Amazon and there are four books (one of which is also available in Spanish) by that Riegel guy still for sale on Amazon. All are favorable to pedophiles. The ads even say if you order within in the next 15-19 hours you can have the books by Monday. Doesn't look like Amazon has really changed its position.

November 11, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Libby

It's amazing that Amazon.com's CEO does not have the nerve to speak to the media. Do they sell 'anything' as long as they profit from it????

November 11, 2010 at 10:13 pm |