October 29th, 2010

Terror Plot Foiled: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, exclusive new information about the two packages at the center of today's terror scare. They were packing a truly devastating punch. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

As I said last night. McCance's words went way beyond opinion. He sounded like he was trying to incite hate and possibly violence against the gay community.

October 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  2. lisal -canada

the other thing i noticed in the facebook posting is that he specifically referred to "five" persons ... later in his appearance he said that "he had no idea that suicide was such a big problem".

to me, if he was aware of "the five" then he has been watching SOME sort of coverage that addressed this suicide issue, and from MY experience, any time this topic has been covered, it has been along with coverage that emphasizes this IS a big problem. so i don't believe that he had no idea of the seriousness of the situation of the suicides

October 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Smith in Oregon

Wow, Dr. Phil is giving that Ark. official both barrels, good for Dr. Phil. Anything that lowers the really high rates of teenage suicide's should be applauded.

October 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Nina

@Emily October 29th, 2010 10:33 pm ET

I felt the same way... I was wondering how anyone could be so stupid! lol

October 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Douglas McTaggart

Clint McCance words are verbally abusive and discriminatory.

For the act of broadcasting such hatred through the written and distributed word, the idea of a hate crime should be tendered and a judgment require a mental health check up, therapy, community service and a public apology.

October 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Looks like Dr. Phil agrees with many boggers last night – that "clint" did not give a real apology.

Excellent analysis by Dr. Phil.

October 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Emily

I don't think that his apology was one of someone who has changed their mind of in their beliefs. It's awful that he had to send his children and wife had to leave their home.

October 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Nina

Starr, formerly known as vincent
    I continue to see our democracy losing ground.

October 29, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point question for Dr. Phil, Anderson. 🙂

October 29, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

I fully agree with Dr. Phil. It was no apology!

October 29, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, it was more like an apology around the mulberry bush.

October 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Lori

Unfortunately, you can never take those things back once you say them. I really do not know what kind of appology would suffice.

October 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Nina

Go get him Dr. Phil in his non apology.

October 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Emily

His "poor speech" – I still think that he would not have said that...if he were talking with any of us, those words would not have come out of his mouth. I do think that he believes what he says. (that is in his head, he "thinks" that way)

October 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  15. jeanne

Sounds like he's resigning because he's fearful from the harassment & threats he's been receiving, not because he regrets what he said.

October 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Nina

"I don't agree with bullying" and yet he would like to see gay people die? Talk about a contradiction in terms. He is on "Damage Control" lol

October 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Helen

I am glad anderson you are not spending your entirely to that terrorist plot. the more attention we give them, the happier they get. I wish once we figure out americans are not in danger the news business will move on to some other story and show those losers we are not scared. that is what the israelis do every single. A bomb blows up everything clears up and life continues.

October 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Lori

I just can not imagine what would make someone write those words.

October 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Emily

The statements posted by Clint McCance still are shocking to me. I was glad when Casey Jones posted that people (adults) can in fact change.

October 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  20. carolyn j

he is not sincere.

October 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nina- what happened to Democracy?

Good question given the McDonald report.

October 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Sharon Hastings

@Lori, I believe that has already been done and security is being tightened. Problem is that once that happens, what is to keep them from traveling to another country and shipping packages from there. The issue is not necessarily WHERE they originate, because we wouldn't always know that from now on, but how can we screen everything–also we have to rely on intelligence in this kind of thing more than screening.

October 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Nina

@ Smith in Oregon
    Well stated. You have considerable knowledge in chemical engineering. Thank you

October 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  24. David, Indiana

I wondered that too, why the fighter escort.

October 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Emily

@Helen,
    I know that some in the Middle East would agree to help, and if one country has the technology, I would think that all the others would want it too. (not be left behind; and want to know what each other is doing, to keep an eye on one another?)

October 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Smith in Oregon

@Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio yes a great many of these terror attacks have been created or blamed on Islamic militants however it cannot discount the possibility of Jewish militants doing the same and allowing the blame to fall on Islamic militants also.

October 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  27. lisal -canada

looking forward to hearing the full dr phil clip – i [also] found it a bit difficult to believe that within a few days, someone could go from writing what the AK man posted to "sorry – i didn't mean it"

the other thing i thought was that he did not say he regretted WRITING the statements – he seemed concerned that he had not phrased or expressed what he thought "properly" (which kind of implies that he still means or thinks it, doesn't it?)

October 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The "military escort" was all for show. There wasn't a darn thing they could have done to avert a tragedy.

October 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Monica M. Williams

So Ronald McDonald has taken up endoursing candidates?...interesting.....

You guys (AC360 Crew) are doing a great job. Drinks on Anderson tonight!! You can tell him I said so. : )

Have a great weekend everyone.

October 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Nina

@Megan Dresslar – October 29th, 2010 10:27 pm ET
    Good news for me, Yay!!!!!!!! Sharon Angle banned from tv station! That's relief I have hear!

You mean Ms. "I want the news to ask only those questions I want?? lol

October 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Sharie

On September 4, 2010 a UPS cargo plane crashed in Dubai are the incidents related?

October 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  32. Emily

Is "Comedy Central" sponsoring that event too?

October 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Nina

raises and benefits cut if one does not vote Republican? What happened to Democracy?

October 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  34. Helen

The saudis are helping us because they are too close to Yemen. They certainly not helping us with bin laden or any other saudi nationalist terrorist.

October 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Smith in Oregon

@Nina asked, 'What happened? Why were these compounds not detected if we have the capacity? Especially coming out of the middle east.'

It would make sense to design a microwave or active/passive energy device to specifically trigger on any abnormal amounts of nitrogen during it's scan. Note that pampers and diapers would create a false trigger. I'd rather see a Manhattan Project on such a device to help restore sanity in America's air-traffic.

October 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Edward

I am a retired US Secret Service supv. who was the lead advance agent for VP Bush as he spent two nights in North Yemen (North and South were in a civil war) in 1986. No surprise that it is the new hub for terrorism. Ii was a step back in time with no hope for a future.

October 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  37. cicly

hey guys; go get him, dr. phil

October 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

October 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@David – it is my understanding that we only "scan" 3% (or less) of cargo on planes or ships.

I am totally confused as to how the Saudi's had the tracking numbers.

October 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Lori

There are some very close races this year.

October 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Emily

@Nina,
    I would think that the country has informants?

October 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That is the problem it should not be an on-going thing. It should not be happening at all.

October 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mani, "Al-Qaida has been attacking Americans or American facilaties since the 1990s."

Muslim extremists have been carrying out terrorist attacks all over the world for years.

October 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Brad

Emily. I have no ida why they would target Chicago. The only reason I can think of is the same thing AC just said. Possibly because its the presidents home town and with the elections coming up. I live 30 miles west but the airport is alot closer. I keep thinking what if one was detonated in the plane above my house. Its a scarey though. I dont know the synagogues though.

October 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  45. Helen

@Emily: we having trouble with the european to coorporate with screening for us. can you imagine the middle east?

October 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

re: questions about how Saudi person knew–assumption is that Al Qaeda in Yemen has been infiltrated and there is one or more informants. Hope that person or persons haven't blown their cover.

October 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@David-Indiana,

How did the Saudis determine the tracking numbers of the packages with devices? That's a very specific tip.

It was Yemem..... it was tipped from Saudi Arabia.

October 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This is not surprising. Yemen has been a problem for quite awhile. Something should have been done a long time ago.

October 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  49. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I was wondering if this occurance would be politicized.

I do believe that Bin Laden et al are once again trying to influence and election in the US. To what end, who knows.

October 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Nina

@Smith in Oregon
    Nina, thank-you for your query, yes swab and computerized sniffers at the airports routinely scan specifically for those compounds. Normally these are all 'nitrogen' based compounds, anything with a high level of nitrogen should trigger a caution signal.

October 29, 2010 at 10:21 pm |