October 20th, 2010

Yoko Ono recounts John Lennon on his 70th birthday anniversary

CNN Wire Staff

Editor's note: Watch more of Anderson Cooper's exclusive interview with Yoko Ono Friday night on AC360° beginning at 10 pm ET.

(CNN) - John Lennon would have turned 70 years old this month, and were the late Beatle alive today, he might be sitting in a rocking chair in Cornwall, England, with wife Yoko Ono waiting for a postcard from their son, Sean, Ono said in an exclusive interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper.

But eventually his spirit for activism would have roused him out of his retirement rocker, Ono added.

"I'm sure that, if he got to be 70, then he would have forgotten all of that: No, we have to do something now. And I'm sure this is when he would have been totally activist," Ono said. The wide-ranging three-part interview continues with the second installment on Cooper's "AC360" Wednesday night.

Video: Watch Part 2 of the interview

In the interview, Ono spoke about being unfairly blamed for the breakup of the Beatles and how she can't forgive Mark David Chapman, the maniacal fan who fatally shot Lennon in 1980.

She also strolled with Cooper through Central Park's Strawberry Fields, dedicated to Lennon and named after the song "Strawberry Fields Forever," written by Lennon and fellow Beatle Paul McCartney.

Lovers of Lennon's music should celebrate his 70th birthday anniversary, which occurred October 9, by remembering his expansive spirit, Ono said.

Full story

Filed under: 360º Follow • Big Interview
  1. Vicki

For all the talk Yoko does about give peace a chance one would think she would give Mark Chapman her forgiveness. Make peace with what had happened. Forgivness is a gift you give yourself. We loved John, he was a genuis, his death was tragic he would want you to move on and give forgivness just as he would have. Dear Yoko I am not just saying something I have lived it. Give Peace a chance in yhour own heart.

October 22, 2010 at 7:58 am |
  2. Steve Martin

I'm from Canada. We have a multi party political system. I think your two party system creates an enviornment where the more you bash your opponent the better your chances of winning are. It's not about the issues or abilities.

October 20, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  3. Louis

John Lennon and his music has been a big influence not just on me, but with millions of people with conscious all over the world. Yoko is a courageous and strong lady to carry Johns legacy,24/7, to people everywhere. Much love to Yoko.
    John will always be the image of love and of world peace.

October 20, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  4. eileen savage

you talk about the republicans only talking to people who are in their court, but what about Obama only going to rallys where he knows he will get a favorable reception. Has he ever appeared at a republican or tea party rally? Bet you won't air this comment, but thanks for listening.

October 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  5. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

My 1st cousin was the one who presented John Lennon and the Beatles with their first Ludwig drums. Her pic went 'round the world. I have it on my wall. look it up, her name is Brooke Ludwig. I am jealous she got to meet John Lennon!
    The gold plated drums were donated to a museum in NYC for John Lennon's 70th birthday.
    Very cool interview!

October 20, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
  6. Annie Kate

Not putting the emphasis on the fact that John died but that he was here is a very positive outlook and much more appealing. I remember John through his music – his talent was enormous and his ideas expressed in his songs are still as fresh today as when he wrote them. I love the interview and am looking forward to seeing it all.

October 20, 2010 at 7:46 pm |