October 13th, 2010

Rescued miner says he saw God, devil during captivity

Mario Sepulveda greets Chilean first lady Cecilia Morel after his return to the surface.

Mariano Castillo
CNN

(CNN) - Having spent 69 days trapped inside the San Jose mine in Chile before being rescued, Mario Sepulveda says, he is a changed man.

"I buried 40 years of my life down there, and I'm going to live a lot longer to be a new person," he said in a video conference hours after surfacing from half a mile underground.

Sepulveda, the second miner extracted from the mine, has advice for those who take undue risks in their lives.

"I think I have learned a lot of wonderful lessons about taking the good path in life," he said. "For those of you able to call your wives or your husbands, do so."

During the time he was trapped inside the mine, Sepulveda said, he saw both good and evil.

"I was with God, and I was with the devil. They fought, and God won," he said. Sepulveda said he grabbed God's hand and never doubted that he would be rescued.

Full story

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Gettie Collins

This was a "Miracle" of "God".I heard the spanish word for "Jesus" used by some of the men when they came up but it was never said on the air, in translation.There are many things to learn,by all of us,in this ordeal.CNN you did an "Outstanding" job at covering this so all of us could witness a "Miracle".

October 14, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  2. Maria

I was born in Chile,but only lived there for 2 mo. when family moved to U.S. I am 45 and have not been back to visit. After watching this amazing rescue of these miners, I realize I must go visit. I have never been prouder of my country. I believe these miners kept it together because of their faith in God. God was with them and gave them the strength they needed to stay strong and focused. I slept with T.V on last night and woke several times to watch. I just cried.I was so touched. This was definitely a God thing! Viva Chile

October 14, 2010 at 1:12 am |
  3. Ravi

It was a heart warming sight to see the rescue work live!! It's a MIRACLE and wouldn't have been possible without the 'invisible hand of GOD'. The rescue team, the Chilean people, it's Government deserve accolades for making this most difficult act a successful one.

October 14, 2010 at 1:02 am |
  4. Carol Hess

Maybe the world will finally understand that GOD does answer our prayers. GOD has truely watched over these men and their families. Thank you LORD.

October 14, 2010 at 12:07 am |
  5. Dan Brandt

Wow! What a statement of faith in God!!! In a Catholic country like Chile, the True Faith is manifest in the most common and the most highly-regarded of folks...and we are continually reminded that all are equal in God's eye!

October 14, 2010 at 12:03 am |
  6. Nan

The courage and strength of these men is beyond imagination. But let us not for one second forget the rescurers and let them know that they are GREAT. I would like to say I would like to have any one of them in my corner anytime.
    This was a miracle. May God bless them and keep them forever.

October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  7. Elizabeth Abraham

This is so amazing. So many things to learn from Chilean people, President and the Gov't. So well managed. There was a great feeling that every moment was very personal to all. It was also really wonderful to see how immense God's love and grace was throughout this whole ordeal. God is good all the time.

October 13, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  8. tessa

Truly what those miners endured is a miracle indeed...They had faith,and the families never gave up hope.I believe that God was in that mine....The entire universe is celebrating right now,the rescue time did a great job!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  9. Lucy

God Bless all the miners, but where was a priest, either sent down to them or at the surface to greet them?

October 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  10. Alva Coll

THANK YOU FOR COVERING THE CHILEAN MINERS RESCUE TO THE VERY END!!
    GREAT JOB! GOD BLESS YOU. THANK YOU AMERICA AND ALL THE HELP YOU PROVIDED.
    MAY GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    THANK YOU!
    FROM A CHILEAN IN THE USA.

October 13, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  11. Bonnie Garcia

It really was a miracle for all 33 miners to stay 1\2 a mile under ground for 69 days and to come out last night and today in such good spirts.

October 13, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  12. George Fossett

Anderson, dont you love Chile's President. He has been there 24 hours, full of smiles and hugs. He has greeted each and every miner being recovered and every resue worker going down and returning above. Both he and his wife have true dedication to the workers of his country.

October 13, 2010 at 10:10 pm |