October 13th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Last Miner Freed, Workers Still Below

After months deep underground, all 33 trapped miners are free. The 12th miner to emerge, Edison Peña, is pictured here.

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

All 33 miners are free tonight in Chile. Just moments ago, the last miner was brought to the surface and the crowd sang the Chilean National Anthem.  Six rescue workers, who went into the mine to help the men get into the capsule, still need to be brought up. We will stay on this story throughout the night to bring you live coverage from the San Jose Mine.

Over more than 22 hours, one by one, each miner was brought to the surface in a specially-made capsule. Each one has hugged loved ones. Some led the crowd in a cheer for Chile. Another dropped to his knees and prayed, while one asked about his dog.

We have a team of reporters on the scene and will bring you every angle of this incredible rescue mission, including the medical angle. Each miner has been taken to a hospital extensive tests.  We've learned one of the miners is in the intensive care unit with pneumonia, and two miners need extensive dental surgery.

You'll also hear from Bear Grylls, host of the Discovery Channel's "Man vs. Wild", who's made a career out of surviving in dire conditions. He says the 33 trapped miners are an inspiration for all of us.

And, we'll give you an up close look at the celebrations as each miner was rescued after more than two months trapped under half-mile of rock.

We also have the latest developments in the search for an American man whose wife says was shot to death while they were jet skiing on Falcon Lake, which straddles the U.S.-Mexico border. David Hartley's body has not been found. Just this week, a lead investigator in the case was murdered. His severed head was delivered to the Mexican military in a suitcase. David's wife, Tiffany, said the investigator was "so sincere and so considerate."

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Colleen B

What a tremendous victory over death. I am awed by the courage of not only the miners, but the rescue crews. In a world of constant misery and bad news it's nice to see such joy. Thank you Anderson for your professional candor during this event and your ability to help us become a part of a story. God Bless all involved in this miracle.

October 14, 2010 at 5:59 am |
  2. Brian Pollari

Chilean miner's rescue:

Being alive+ family reunion+ meeting The President of Chile= Priceless!

October 14, 2010 at 2:30 am |
  3. Kenrick Francisco

The rescue of the miners is testimony to mankind's resilience and what can transpire when we collaborate and have faith. God is good.

Kenrick Francisco
    Belize, Central America

October 14, 2010 at 2:29 am |
  4. Michele Kelly

Thank you for your wonderful coverage of the miner's ordeal. I really appreciated the psychologist who spoke so clearly and compassionately about what the miner's were going through. Dr. Erik A. Fischer, PH.D. was very informative while sensitive and understandable. I hope you have him on again. Too often psychologist speak in such generalities the individual's story is lost. He brought his expertise to the story while maintaining the humanity of integrity of the miner's and their families. Thank you Dr. Fischer!

October 14, 2010 at 12:27 am |
  5. Rita

Thank you, Anderson, for your wonderful, compassionate coverage of this powerful event. We laughed, we cried, we prayed and then did it all over again. Was so thankful you stayed with this until the end when Manuel (sp?) was finally able to leave the mine. There were a lot of lessons to be learned here...we can only hope...
    God Bless!!

October 14, 2010 at 12:19 am |
  6. debbie koons

I also want to let the miner's and their families that we are so happy they are out and with their loved ones. Also a special thank you to all involved with the rescue, from the driller to the safety workers to the rescuers, you all are hero's and god bless all of you. All our best to the miner's and their families for a bright, healthy and prosperous future!

October 14, 2010 at 12:13 am |
  7. Valeria T

Thanks Anderson and CNN for letting us all see what was happening. As for all those who were involved in making this rescue operation a success, every one of them deserves our collective deepest congratulations.

October 14, 2010 at 12:12 am |
  8. Ginny

Anderson, thank you, thank you, thank you for your excellent & continuous coverage of this most extraordinary event! The miners, their rescuers, & everyone involved have been in my prayers and I'm filled w/joy and gratitude for this huge miracle. It's brought the whole world together in one common cause. Perhaps we can expand our elation, joy, and working together in all areas of our lives.

October 14, 2010 at 12:10 am |
  9. debbie koons

Fantastic reporting!! no other network did the great job that you did. Anderson knows when to be quiet and just let things happen and when to give us info at just the right time. Thank you so much for bringing us this story the way you did, it was simply the best job!! Anderson is the best!!

October 14, 2010 at 12:04 am |
  10. Melissa

It's great to see a wonderful ending to such a horrible tradegy. The human spirit once again prevails! The miners will have a long recovery & we as the world must never forget them. Determination of the Chilean President & the rescue workers was truly inspiring & breath taking beyond words. God Bless the new life ahead of the miners......

October 14, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  11. Diane/Canada

INCREDIBLE!!!!! THANK YOU CNN FOR COMPLETE COVERAGE!! WHAT A RIDE!!!

October 14, 2010 at 12:00 am |
  12. Juliiann Kocielko

Congratulations to all the Chileans and the crew that worked so hard to rescue all of you! What a great day and a nice close to it as I watched the last miner to be rescued come above ground at 10:32p.m.. I hope all of you enjoy the rest of your lives and cherish all the special moments that are awaiting you. Kaylee, my precious granddaughter, I believe that your 6th birthday turned out to be just the way that you wanted it! Anderson Cooper...nice job.

October 14, 2010 at 12:00 am |
  13. Judy

The world should take note of the power of love, not the love of power. We really are all here for each other. Thank you for showing the amazing efforts of all involved in this mine rescue and the miners themselves. We can all live together and tolerate differences in beliefs. This, we all should try.

October 13, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  14. tamara

you had the best coverage less talking and more about what was going on live thanks your a great reporter

October 13, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  15. Mike OB

Thank God and all the brave men and women who were able to save the lives of 33 miners, only through God could this be possible, his hand guilded the capsule 39 times, may god bless each and every individual involved in this rescue.

October 13, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  16. Igori

This story has made me a huge fan of Anderson Cooper. He is the only one through these two days who knows how to shut up and just let the picture on the screen speak for itself.Thank you sir!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  17. pat s

I am so happy to see that the rescue was successful.god bless all of the miners and their families.

October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  18. Jess

What a beautiful site to see all 33 courages men come up. Congratulations to the Chilean government, rescue personnel and all others who made this such a sucess.

I may be old at 58, this has been an emotional period, as I felt within...Yes, I cried with emotion and joy. May all the 33 men, live in peace and be taken care of...God bless everyone.

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  19. Charlene Thornton

PRAISE GOD FROM WHOW ALL BLESSINGS FLOW!!
    This is a wonderful story of how people can accomplish great things together!

October 13, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  20. Igori

Some one left the lights on!!! Is any one going back in the mine?

October 13, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  21. shawn coleman

Thank god for letting all the miners get out safe and lord watch over the miners God bless....

October 13, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  22. Lauren Howell

I think what the people of Chile and everyone else who has contributed is simply amazing! I have been following this story since the trial run to the mine last night, to the last rescuer getting into the capsule as i type this message. These men are amazing, the ones who survived and the ones that helped the men survive. I really truly think the survivors should publish a book; a diary; a memior of their time a mile underground. I am so happy for the families that have their fathers and husbands back. I've never been more proud of the people of my country and the people of Chile!

October 13, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  23. Ray Valliere Sr

What a wonderful human interest story that CNN covered so well. Nice job and Congratulations to all concerned.

Can you explain how the last person (rescuer) got himself lock into the capsule.??

thank you.

October 13, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
  24. Susan Connolly

Thank you Anderson Cooper for keeping the spot light on the rescue workers, I am so pleased that all went well, but was concerned that perhaps the spotlight would end when the last miner was safe, so, thank you again..

Susan...Toronto Canada

October 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  25. Tim

I am beyond thankful that these miners were rescued so I am not saying anything bad about this rescue effort, but why did this turn into Chilean pride. I can't imagine if this took place in America that we would be singing the national anthem. Just curious as to why I keep hearing this is such a proud day for Chile.

October 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  26. AMED YUSUF

I congratulate all Chileans, especially the families of the trapped men, I also commend the commitment of the rescue team and the doggednes of the President. The whole world doff their hats for these efforts and unity displayed in achieving this historical success. CONGRATULATIONS ! ! ! – AMED, YUSUF, ABUJA -NIGERIA

October 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  27. emmanuel oliver

This really shows that God is wonderful and still in the miracle business. Congratulation to all the rescuers.

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Meredith Hardy

Thank you very much for staying with this story until the last rescue worker is brought to the surface...I have been following this rescue closely and still want to know that the underground rescuers are safe.

CNN's journalism covering this event has been stellar on TV and internet.

Thank you for bringing us all this uplifting story.

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Melissa Hardy

I am so glad to see that everyone is doing good. May God bless the miners and their familys.

October 13, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  30. Fantasy

This has been such an amazing, emotional 24 hours. The Chilean people are strong, courageous people, and such obviously God fearing people!!! Viva Chile!!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Lorraine Yates

I would like to send all the Chilean miners and their families, my best wishes. I am so pleased they all got out safe and well. Well done to all the rescue workers, especially the men who went down into the mine to co-ordinate the rescue. You were very brave. Mission accomplished.
    Lorraine Yates
    Huntly
    New Zealand

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Dianne

To God be the glory, great things He has done.

October 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Annie Kate

Wonderful to have such a "good news" story to focus on – it's amazing what people can do when called upon to help other people in need. I admire the miners for surviving as long as they did, not losing hope, and working together to ensure each other's survival; I also admire the workers on the surface who day after day worked to get the hole bored large enough and deep enough to rescue the miners. This is a day for celebration for all of them. I hope their example inspires the rest of the world to work together for the common good. Looking forward to all the coverage tonight.

October 13, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Gail Henson

Thanking God for this miracle of international cooperation leading to the safety of these men. Thanks to CNN for the commitment to covering this and for the excellence in reporting.

October 13, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Finally, at last!!!! Yay!!! I love this...... thanks CNN provide for me what's happen next!!! I love that rescues 33 men got out of mine!!! That relief I have heard, I made smile my face... I know Anderson made his smile face! 🙂 It worked for me!!! Yay!

October 13, 2010 at 9:43 pm |
  36. lorraine

Hi Anderson! Thank you so very much for all the coverage on the miners – this was truly a MIRACLE!! CNN's coverage could not have been better – how fantastic – it was like being right there. Love and prayers go out to the miners, their families, all the rescue workers and everyone there.

October 13, 2010 at 9:35 pm |