AC360 Thursday 8p

Are crews preparing to move to "Plan B" in the search for Flight 370? The latest tonight live on AC360.
October 12th, 2010

Miner's mother: 'Very anxious,' 'very happy'

CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) - The miner who became the cameraman who recorded the day-to-day activities of the trapped miners in Chile will be the first one rescued, Chilean President Sebastian Pinera said Tuesday.

The world will be watching as Florencio Avalos, 31, is extracted from the San Jose mine after 69 days of captivity, together with 32 others.

Pinera estimated that the rescue operation would begin at 8 p.m. (7 p.m. ET).

"I'm very anxious, I'm very happy," Avalos' mother, Maria Silva, told CNN Chile. She imagined that she will be speechless when she places her arms around her son for the first time in months.

In the hours before the highly anticipated rescue, the sounds of the site were those of a construction site as last-minute preparations were made. Drilling, beeping, rumbling and hammering filled the air at the mine site.

"Today's the end of a long journey," Pinera said after touring the site.

"This story started as a possible tragedy, and we hope that it ends as a blessing," he said.

Full story

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Akintan Abayomi, Lagos, Nigeria.

God is very great! 69 days undergroud and yet alive. CNN welldone for a job well done.

October 12, 2010 at 11:59 pm |
  2. Mel - Texas

I sit here watching just utterly amazed. I guess I'll shed a tear for each one of them until they are all out okay. Thanks for all you provide for us Anderson Cooper & co,!

October 12, 2010 at 11:59 pm |
  3. Mahachi

let's all pray as we watch this process

October 12, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Cory leclair

hope they all get out of that mine ok this is crazy 36 hours to get them out....as one ent gos in they should get one out why wast time...

October 12, 2010 at 9:53 pm |
  5. Thomasine Madonna/Parsnow

In my life time I have seen so many great things and so many disasters, I am watching this miracle as it happens and I have to say my eyes are filled with tears of joy for the families and friends of this group of men trapped in the mine. Prayers go out and I will remain up until I see them all out alive. God bless them all.

October 12, 2010 at 9:00 pm |
  6. John M. Wade

Sincerly wish them well !!!!

October 12, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  7. John M. Wade

Watching intently, sincerly wish them well

October 12, 2010 at 8:57 pm |
  8. alicia amaya

Dear Anderson Cooper.

I am following the rescue process you're telling CNN that while thinking about the love and the capacity of mankind. if the man uses this ability to rebuild this ailing planet mankind will survive. my love for the miners and their families and the great work that this group of men together are underway to rescue his brothers.bravo God bless your efforts. alicia amaya (Montreal, quebec , Canada)

October 12, 2010 at 8:57 pm |
  9. diane habbershon

god bless them all, its been a long 2 months and i hope everyone can adjust and is well. love and support will get them all through. i can not image the ordeal they have been through but they are alive and i wish them all the very best, god bless them all and their families.

October 12, 2010 at 8:52 pm |
  10. Manny

As I watch this on CNN TV tonite my soul goes out to all the families that have people in the mine.

October 12, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
  11. suzanne

My Family are glued to the TV, and we are praying for thier safe arrival to the top!

October 12, 2010 at 8:30 pm |
  12. shadia Mroue-Werner

I just want to say thank's to CNN for cover the San Jose, Chile Miner's, I'm Mexican, but I'm Latinoamerica, Thank you again, we are family

October 12, 2010 at 8:21 pm |