October 5th, 2010

Ellen DeGeneres on the Battle Against Bullying: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, truth in advertising. You deserve no less from the people seeking your vote. But you may not be getting it. Plus, kids and bullying. My talk with students and a special conversation with Ellen DeGeneres, who is passionate about the problem.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kelly...Leominster Mass

U wouldnt catch me in the ring w/a lion ever lol props 2 the trainers n ill tell ya hes lucky he didnt get eaten.

October 5, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Anderson & Team 360 and good night. Great show and i wish you a safe & pleasant tomorrow.

Good night All...great blog, as always. I wish you a safe and pleasant day tomorrow.

The shot of the lions at the circus is terrifying.

Animals who belong in the wild should be there or is a very safe environment for the sake of trainers, other people and the animals themselves.

October 5, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Carol

I am glad that attention is finally focused on bullying in our schools. Another targeted group are those with learning disabilities. A child would rather be seen as bad rather than stupid. These children have a high rate of suicide and also represent a huge percentage of children who end up in the juvenile justice system after enduring years of abuse from not only kids but from a school system that doesn't know how to educate them. It's the kid's fault, it's the parent's fault, but never the school's fault. Like all discriination, it serves a purpose for the system. Our children matter....each and every one of them!

October 5, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Sharon Hastings

Where does the time go?? That's a sign of a great show. Good night, sleep well and stay safe.

October 5, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Cessy - Chicago

great segment on Bullying once again, Anderson! Thanks for keeping it honest!

have a wonderful and safe night to you.

G'night, everyone!

October 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Nina

Good night Anderson Cooper, 360°Team and other bloggers

Great show tonight

October 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! "Lions Gone Wild, Again!"

October 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  8. alexander

Bullying has always been around and always will. What people need to do is teach there kids to be strong in life, know the difference between right and wrong, and know how to use the internet in an intelligent and useful way. Also, teach the your gay kids that they're ok and teach your straight kids that gay kids are ok!

October 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Sue R. Canton MI.

Goodnight AC360 Team and fellow bloggers.
    Great show tonight.

I continue to hope that your show on bullying is heard by many people.

October 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Rose From Calif

Good night Anderson and Team...be safe and God bless, all. Blessed the beast and the children.

October 5, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Gillian

I think in 2010 it is time to stop calling homosexuality a "Lifestyle choice". Homosexuality is just as much a part of the human identity as heterosexuality. All people in America deserve the pursuit of happiness and all of us should be trying to work together to make sure children and teens have a safe, healthy environment in which to grow up.

October 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Karen, MN

I was looking for a funny shot. Thanks for the sweet dreams(Just kidding). I love AC360! Good night.

October 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Nina

@Nancy in Oregon
    Yes, it is such a difficult decision. Taking the life of another for what they have done.

October 5, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Lion: "I try of you poking that little stick at me!"

October 5, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Janis Hewitt

Good night everyone. Powerful blog. Keep up the good work Anderson and staff.

October 5, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Kenya

Wild animals belong in the WILD. End of story.
    Goodnight everyone.

October 5, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Emily

Good night Anderson, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Gloria, Libby, Starr & Bloggers!

Great show & blog.

October 5, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Lori, CA

Good night everyone! Sweet dreams!

October 5, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Nina

President Obama is incredible. He really can handle a situation with humor instead of embarrassment, anger or stupidity. I really admire his qualities.

October 5, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Darlena - SC

Simon T.
    Maybe find someone you feel comfortable talking with and then decide how open you want to be with others. Good luck.

October 5, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha,others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    Day of the shot with lion bite his (trainer's) arm, that's hurt & wild lion goes crazy! Awwww! scary shot, LOL So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!!!!! HUGS!

Anderson,
    See you tomorrow night!

October 5, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Emily

How would the trainers get out?

October 5, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Libby

President Obama keeps his cool no matter what! That was too cute! 😀

October 5, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Those lions instant instinct kicked into reality.

October 5, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Emily

I don't 'Think' that many people are doubting her... just the fact that it could & did happen.

October 5, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  26. vic , nashville tn

Good night every one

October 5, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Sue R. Canton MI.

I think that when people are severely bullied as a child it carries into your adult life. you just seem to never forget it.

October 5, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

This pt that Ellen DeGeneres makes about young people not having the sort of confidence to withstand taunts, harrassment is at the heart of the matter. Teachers obviously need to right on it when a student or students are picking on someone.

What sort of training is there for dealing with bullying is there for teachers and administrators?

October 5, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  29. David (Charleston, SC)

Gay's being outed would not be an issue if we allowed being gay to be okay.

October 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  30. vicki lou hillig

Remember the "Golden Rule" do unto those as you would have those unto to you? There should be a new "Cyber/Text Golden Rule" never put anything in writing that can hurt anyone and no one should put anything in writing that can hurt you. Abusive words can be fatal and can never be taken back.

October 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  31. Emily

@Nina,
    "I am not a big fan of the death penalty, however, in certain situations like this one, I would certainly consider it!"
    I was also thinking that chain-gangs should be brought back for people like this. It will be years liking that he is in jail, with appeals.

October 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  32. Larry C

If 1953 I was a freshman in a S Dak high school. Sex education, even at home, was non existent. In was gay but did not even know myself. I knew I was interested in men but did not understand. A bid senior football player picked up on my sexuallity. He "accidently" broke my leg as we were playing baseball. Bulling has been going on forever in my life and yes I'm 70 years old and just lost my partner on 24 years who I was not allowed to marry because I'm different

October 5, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  33. Nancy in Oregon

It does sound as if Dr. Petit has been surrounded by the right kind of people, Emily. That poor man. Goodnight now, people. Rest well.

October 5, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

I can't imagine what this has been like for Dr. Pettit. And he has another trial to go through. The hurt and pain must be unbearable. I just don't care anything about these murderers histories. Nothing "mitigates" these horrors.

October 5, 2010 at 10:51 pm |