September 29th, 2010
  1. James

Why isn't the attorney general calling for this guys resignation. Calling this guy a radical, and is promoting the gay adgenda is totally proposterous. He is palin and simple spreading hate and cyberbulling. Which is illeagle in his state but he sounds like he is above it because he is a CHRISTIAN?? Give us a break .

September 29, 2010 at 8:46 pm |
  2. A. Laing

I am sure that if this man was being attacked on the internet, he would use his full power as the assistant attorney general to seek justice. It is very alarming that this gentleman feels it is his right as a "citizen" to make these comments about this young man. If he was completely truthful on the interview with Anderson, than why does he not look completely into the camera the entire time. This makes him look like he is searching for answers.

September 29, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  3. mary

Anderson I was impressed with your handling of the interview with Michigan's assistant attorney. As a mother and not a fan of the lesbian/gay movement, I also am a firm beleiver in our rights to be unique, follow our choice of religion and sexual freedoms. Very surprised that this young man could not see where he was bullying, have a bigot attitude and considering his position that he cannot see how he is coming across to the general public. He is in a public office and therefore should not be so public in his anti gay thoughts. He does have a right to his opinion, but he needs to step down from his position if he feels so strongly on this subject. Again, very impressed with your handling of the subject matter. As a mother, I wanted to ground him.

September 29, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  4. John

Andrew Shirvell claims he has no problem with Mr.Armstrongs sexuality but why did he put a gay flag with a swastika on his blog? If he is concerned about the students so called "political" agenda why should his sexuality be mentioned at all? I'm sure Chris is an amazing student council president and a great example to all students of any race/religion/gender/ethnicity/sexual orientation to be who you truly are.

September 29, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
  5. Pat Brodie

Anderson, I watched you interview that Assistant Attorney General guy and I'm still confused, I don't understand what his point is or was. It made no sense at all to me. I'll keep watching to see if you talk about it more, but I didn't get it. If you understand what his problem is, please explain.

September 29, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  6. Hank Hueber

Michigan's attorney general should be fired from his position. He does not represent all the people of Michigan and in fact should be prosecuted for carrying out his position with intent to harm a fellow citizen with hate crime eveidence and malice. The attorney general is inciting to riot over an individual. What an embarassment to the state of Michigan and its citizens as well as the Government of Michigan.

September 29, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  7. Pete Medrano

this is really embarassing. a person who is supposed to represent the people cyber-bullying. He should be fired.

September 29, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  8. Harvey

I feel the Michigan Assistant Attorney is way out of line. As far as I am concerned, he is in public office, and is showing how unprofessional and biased he is. It sounds like he is a closet case, or has his panties in a wad. I have seen it before. I would almost compare this to a hate crime.

September 29, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  9. Hale Fisher

I cannot believe that a government official would carry on so stupidly, actually I can. Thank you Anderson for bring up the Cyber Bulling Law for Michigan. An official of a state government should know how to act in the public forum either during working hour or on his or her own time. The fact the he is using his religion as a reason for defaming and casting false accusations against Chris Armstrong is just reprehensible.

Shirvell is claiming his first amendment right to free speech in order to legitimately place his obviously intense hatred of Gays in the public forum. Unfortunately there is a thin line between freedom of speech and Hate Speech. I sincerely believe the Michigan AG should enforce the cyber bullying law on Mr. Shirvell and remove him from office.

His interview last night was not good. His bias is telling the residents of Michigan, the people who he serves that if they are LBGT, they will not get fair and equitable, assistance from him regarding legal matters. Unfortunately, Mr. Shirvell appears to be a very sad and troubled person.

September 29, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  10. Carol

DISCLAIMER: NOT ALL CHRISTIANS THINK LIKE THIS MAN!

I am afraid this is what will happen wherever Republicans take over. There will be more and more attacks like this across the country with people in (Republican) power doing nothing about it.

By the way, I believe he is breaking one of the Ten Commandments – You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. His type are the ones who claim to be so religious and godly, instead they break God's laws.

September 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
  11. jillianred

Just watched this interview and am so shocked that this individual is actually an assistant attorney general! Isn't there something that can be done to stop him from bullying that poor college student? Unbelievable. Thanks for the interview!

September 29, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  12. Joe

This official should not be one of Michigan's leaders.

September 29, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  13. Sean

How dare you attack a college student with such invidiously reprehensible statements, Mr. Shirvell. Shame on you.

September 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  14. Stephanie L. Sueppel

Could you please post the definition of cyber-bully according to Michigan policies/law? Anderson mentioned it in the segment and I think it is important to post along with other items related to the story.

Please give my compliments to Anderson Cooper for his professional journalism. His interviewing technique revealed the troubled irrational psyche of a bully.

There was something in the demeanor of this bully that made me think he might be autistic. I am not trying to demean this individual but it could explain why he is afforded greater latitude in expressing his irrational bigoted views.

September 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
  15. Douglas Lloyd

Dear A.C.
    I watched the segment on the MI. assistant AG last night and thought you were fantistic. I was greatful for the way you clearly showed that your guest is nothing more than an igmo. It's beyond my belief how or why he holds his the position he does. If I were a resident of MI. I would be taking it further than a blog entry. Perhaps MI. residence now will.
    D. Lloyd

September 29, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  16. Cameo Wood

Thank you so much for running this story. I think you addressed this confused man in such a direct manner that he condemned himself before the american public. He clearly illustrated he was a hypocritical bigot and a bully.

While stories about gay intolerance are common, it is important to bring public servants under scrutiny when they so clearly display intolerance and are lacking good judgement and wisdom. I think you did the state of Michigan a great service by helping them clean house. I had never seen your show before this clip but based on the work I've seen, I intend to become a regular viewer. Keep up the good work.

September 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm |
  17. Clare

Andrew Shirvell disgusts me. He makes me ashamed to be a lawyer, and I think the Michigan state attorney general’s office should seriously look into firing him. What a horrible person.

September 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm |