September 29th, 2010

Should Mich. Asst. AG Be Fired?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, that law enforcement official who's targeting a college student in his spare time - singling him out for a campaign of vitriol and online attacks. New developments tonight, and the same question people keep asking us:  Why hasn't his boss fired him? We'll put that question to his boss - the Attorney General of Michigan. We're  keeping them honest. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! "I know she wanted to laugh in her face!"

September 29, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I sincerely appreciate 360 taking on these stories tonight. I'm a little wiped-out, in a good way. Thank you.

September 29, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Emily

Good night Anderson, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Gloria, Libby, Starr & Bloggers!

Great show & blog!

September 29, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Nina

Good Night Anderson Cooper, Team 360, Megan, Kevin, Marilyn and other bloggers. Have a wonderful evening!

September 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

David,
    No.... there is no relationship both of them, Andrew Shrivell was wrong thing to do against him his blog as well.

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha,others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    Day of the shot with host made mistake her name, oops!!!! so embarrased her so much! OUCH! Awwww! Awesome shot, LOL So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!!!!! HUGS!
    Anderson,
    See you tomorrow night!

September 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Heather - Spokane, WA

Brings new meaning to 'a monkey could do your job' have a good night all!

September 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Very worthwhile topics tonight. Sleep well and stay safe.

September 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Sue R. Canton MI.

Goodnight AC360Team and fellow bloggers.
    Great show tonight Anderson.

September 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Lori, CA

That never happens on CNN....

Good night! Sweet dreams.

September 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Janis Hewitt

Good night all. Good show.

September 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Chi

Re the Shot 😀 !

September 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  12. Emily

The Shot: oh, no!

September 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Kevin E.

Sadly there are stories behind every teen suicide and we've not taken the time to learn more and that is why we are very behind on what is happening in our schools.

Casey I have lectured to rooms of people and I am always met with tales of "when I was 8" from people in their 60's

Yes bullying causes "scars" which never fully heal.

September 29, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  14. lisal -canada

question re bp: do the 'relief' wells count in terms of the 'closed and shut down' status of the well? or just the main one that was 'permanently' closed?

September 29, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Michael - Huntington Beach, CA.

Thank you for the great report on school bullying!
    Anderson Cooper and the AC360 team always do outstanding reporting!

September 29, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Libby

Wow. That gubernatorial candidate in NY is something else! :O

September 29, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Norm Troicke

The trouble with bullying is it not the stereo typical kid doing the bullying. It's the popular and well liked by the teachers kids. And it goes way beyond the schools. Adults in the work place are guilty of it also, even teachers. How are the kids in school supposed to get the message when the adults are not any better.

September 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Good for Mr. Long. He is clearly taking steps to move forward with something that is very painful.

September 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Steve in Southern Illinois

Am I the only one who has an urge to break out the Back To The Future DVDs?

September 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Thomas L. (N.C)

I can't even believe this is an issue. Both of them should be fired. It's obvious there's something we don't know. There's more to this story.

September 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Chi

@Gloria "And we got to teach our children that materialist things have no value" –> Do agree w you.

September 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Janice Ocala Florida

Hi Anderson,great broadcast tonite,M.J.Fox looks great.
    On the subject of Shivill,I think he over stepped and he is now stalking.
    Just found out about President Carter,I also found out that Carter put solar panels on the White House and President Regan took them off..why would he do that? I have a different respect for both Presidents now..because of the solar panel issue..love you

September 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hold on to your hard hat because this is going to be a rock slinging case.

September 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Nina

@Casey Jones – September 29th, 2010 10:48 pm ET

Excellent perspective. I completely agree. What happens in our childhood does follow us through life at some level depending on how we cope with it.

September 29, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Nicole The Netherlands

It's hard to watch Michael J Fox. So good that he took his disease to get focus on a cure.
    Wonder if the diskinisia makes his muscles hurt, hope not.
    What a great person, to me a hero.

September 29, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  26. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole, everyone.

Sorry to be late, just busy here.

Is there a personal relationship btwn Andrew Shirvell and Chris Armstrong?

This does seem like unbecoming personal conduct, but shouldn't there be a reprimand first?

September 29, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That is my favorite actor Michael J. Fox... I found that I was shocked he have disease to fight his illness Parkinson's disease to be cured..... My heart goes to him , too.

September 29, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Sharon Hastings

Michael J. Fox is such an inspiration to everyone in how to look at life but especially to others who suffer from Parkinsons. He is a good human being whose life has much value regardless of his challenges. He is NOT a victim.

September 29, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Emily

@Dennis,
    I'm sorry for what you had to go through in your life. I'm glad that you were able to find peace in your life.

September 29, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Steve in Southern Illinois

Michael J Fox – Another extremely courageous guy and so extremely intelligent. Pray to God that he is healed some day.

September 29, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Jackie Genow

I'm a senior at the University of Michigan and I'm friend of Chris's at school, along with many of his roommates. I've seen Mr. Shirvell around campus many times, including outside Chris's house.It's becoming an issue for anyone who is a friend of Chris or supports LGBTQ rights. This issue is consuming our campus and many our outraged. The comments on his blog are affecting the lives of the people involved after they leave the Univ. of Michigan. The job market is already bleak enough without the Shirvell's bigoted blog comments and posts popping up on our future employers' google searches.

September 29, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Nina

@ Kevin E.

I am very happy to see you were able to turn around a horrible and personally painful loss to something positive and helpful for others. I applaud your courage and demeanor.

September 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  33. Kevin E.

Jo Ann, even after what I ahve been through simply tossing out teh bullies doesn't work either. Both the bullies and the victims need to be educated as to why its wrong.
    Simply expelling them adds to teh drop out rate.
    We need in school suspensions

September 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Emily

@lisal -canada
    "i have always thought a lot of mr fox bth as an actor and a person"
    I agree...looks like a great interview that Dr. Gupta had with him.

September 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Kevin E,
    My heart goes to you, I am sorry your love one loss.

September 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  36. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Michael J. Fox is a sweetheart!

September 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  37. Sue R. Canton MI.

I admire Michael J. Fox. His strength and attitude is amazing.

September 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  38. Kenya

Michael J. Fox is a strong individual bringing light to many on how to accept and deal with their diseases. I really do wish him well.
    Goodnight all.

September 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  39. Cessy - Chicago

Michael J. Fox is a true picture of a fighter -Strength, Courage and Determination.

September 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  40. Linda

I've known individuals that were disciplined or lost their job for just making general statements about their place of work on Facebook or My Space. Those statements were viewed as unprofessional behavior. This man is suppose to represent and uphold the law for the people of Michigan. His behavior is a reflection of the AG office and how business is done there. It looks to me like AG Cox is supporting this hatefull behavior.

September 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  41. Libby

It's great to know that Michael J. Fox is still playing hockey and is coping with Parkinson's the best that he can!

September 29, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  42. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann...thanks. What happens to us as children frequently follows us through our entire lives. The pain doesn't end when/if the bullying stops.

September 29, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  43. elise

How embarrassing for Michigan! Cyber bullying isn't just free speech....it often incites violence... look at the case of the British teenager killed recently. If our AG can't take a stand on this issue, i question whether he can take a stand at all?....This is 2010, let's speak out against bullying and blantant hatred and start defending all sectors of society, not just the ones that are politically correct to defend.

September 29, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  44. Heather - Spokane, WA

Parkinson's is a horrible disease. Michael J Fox is a very strong person and I am glad that he is fighting so hard to find a cure. Bless him

September 29, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Thanks for story about bullies at school, I am with you, I agree with you, my heart goes to you......

September 29, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  46. lisal -canada

i have always thought a lot of mr fox bth as an actor and a person

September 29, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Kevin E., "Zero Tolerance has proven to be inneffective, usually it is the kids who fight back who get booted."

Then the schools need to put their focus on the bullies and expel them the first time it happens. Parents might take action if the school calls them at work to come and pick up their kid.

September 29, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  48. Janis Hewitt

I love Michael J. Fox. He will always be one of my all-time favorite actors. What amazes me is his ability to play hockey with this disease. He's the greatest.

September 29, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  49. Nina

Kevin E. September 29th, 2010 10:42 pm ET
    Anti-bullying needs to be a community wide project. When we lost our son in 2002 many thought we were simply " looking for closeure" when we really wanted answers so it wouldn't happen again.

I could not agree with you more. As a lot of the bullying happens outside the schools. I am so sorry to hear of your experience.

September 29, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  50. Nelson

Yes he and his boss should be fired – what a poor politically motivated duo – shame on them both!

September 29, 2010 at 10:46 pm |