September 29th, 2010

Should Mich. Asst. AG Be Fired?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, that law enforcement official who's targeting a college student in his spare time - singling him out for a campaign of vitriol and online attacks. New developments tonight, and the same question people keep asking us:  Why hasn't his boss fired him? We'll put that question to his boss - the Attorney General of Michigan. We're  keeping them honest. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Janis Hewitt

Bullying is one of the worst things that can happen to a child. Parents doing it to their children, children to other children, sibling to sibling. It all is bad. It doesn't toughen anybody up to go through it.

September 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  2. sue- Grand Rapids, Michigan

Mr. Armstrong is being harrrassed and bullied. Mr. Cox has the authority to stop it. I'm embarrassed that this is occuring so blatantly, and Mr. Cox thinks this is acceptable behavior by an employee in his office.

September 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Rick Bechard

He should be fired. When one takes a public position as in the D.A's office they have to recognize that their first amendment rights are reduced in order to achieve at the very least a public perception of objectivity for future cases.
    Plus..he does appear to be a barking lunatic!

September 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  4. Stacey- Michigan

As a citizen of Michigan I am appalled by the behavior of this state employee. I believe in free speech, but when does it cross the line and become slander? I am surprised that our local networks have not picked up this story. As an educator (state employee), I believe I would be disciplined or fired if I conducted myself remotely in this manner.

September 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  5. hazel

This situation is troubleing.A public official admitting to the conduct of stalker, a bully. He should be removed from his position in Public Service and charged.

September 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Steve in Southern Illinois

My thoughts and prayers are with President Carter. He is a courageous and compassionate man.

September 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Nina

Michael J. Fox was such a brilliant and humorous actor. Sad to see how this illness has affected his life at all levels

September 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Nancy from Michigan

I called the office of Mike Cox today and was told that their phone was ringing off the hook, because of this story about Andrew Shirvell's behavior! To me this is disruptive of the business of the Attorney General's office, and Mike Cox is wrong not to fire him.
    But as he just shared with Anderson, he is out of office in three months, and really, it appears, just doesn't care!!!

September 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  9. Amber

I live in Ann Arbor and I find it fascinating that anyone would be so obsessed with a student council president at the University of Michigan who will likely have little effect on anything other than the cafeteria hours. Might this Assistant A.G. who refers to himself as "this concerned alumna," simply be upset that he wasn't elected for this position back in his own "good old days"?
    Maybe "this alumna" should dedicate his blog to a public figure that will have a real effect on Michigan.
    Love you Anderson.

September 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  10. Emily

@Libby,
    "I feel badly for Mrs. Vitter."
    Another wife that looked so uncomfortable standing next to her husband in that photo opt/press conference.

September 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  11. Trish

Why can't Shirvall be fired for slander?? I have a feeling if he was harassing("free speech")a woman he would have been fired immediately. Shouldn't the constitution protect Chris Armstrong too??

September 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Nicole The Netherlands

Lost for words here on this ad.
    Thanks Tom!

September 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Colleen

I believe there needs to be some kind of rules established for the intranet. Not being able to put something in writing or to display pictures of others with out their permission.

September 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Jen

Exaggeration and hate may be protected by the First Amendment, but stalking and defamation are not. I seriously question the validity of many of Mr. Shirvell's claims (especially the alleged Facebook wall posts, which appear to be completely fabricated) and even his mental stability. Shirvall should be removed at once; an investigation for libel and a mental health evaluation should follow shortly.

September 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Jo Lindsay

I'm sorry, this man is definetly stalking this man. He hangs outside his house in the cover of darkness! What does not say stalker to you?

September 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Chris in DC

Oh my...I do wish these nice young men would play nice.

September 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  17. MOISES FRANCISCO

AG is doing nothing wrong,"by law", but he could be proven wrong "by law".Only one person could do that.

September 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Mary

Yes, he should be fired!! Also recommend that he under go a mental health evaluation to rule out Bipolar disorder.

September 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Libby

Between a 'stretch and right on' on the truth matter is very good actually. Look at how many political ads we see that show up as 'pants on fire'. I feel badly for Mrs. Vitter. :o(

September 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  20. Kevin E.

People across the country are calling for this man to be fired and we have a person protecting him, based on 1st Amendment when he went far beyond that.

I was on a phone panel today and a Candidate for the NY Senate brought it up
    It/He is embarrasing for MI

September 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Deanna

I think the Michigan Asst. AG is acting very unprofessional.

September 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  22. dominick from florida

It is unsettling to me the tremendous fascination Andrew Shrivell with Chris Armstrong. Mr. Shrivell's behavior and actions drews question relative to his mental health. Mr. Shrivell is targeting an individual based on hate. This is not the character of a desirable public figure.

September 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  23. John

Andrew Shirvell claims he has no problem with Mr.Armstrongs sexuality but why did he put a gay flag with a swastika on his blog? If he is concerned about the students so called "political" agenda why should his sexuality be mentioned at all? I'm sure Chris is an amazing student council president and a great example to all students of any race/religion/gender/ethnicity/sexual orientation to be who you truly are...

September 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  24. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Funny, I thought before you can say someone broke the law, they actually have to be found guilty of breaking the law.

September 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Jamie

Thank you for your eloquent and informative handling of this situation. This frightens me that in 2011 Mike Cox could actually argue that this is a free speech issue. I am praying that he will do what's right here not only for Michigan, but for all families and individuals who are persecuted and bullied solely for their orientation or support of those who are deemed "different". Bravo to AC360 and Anderson himself and thank you.

September 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Nina

@ Megan Dresslar – Shoreline, WA
    Mike Cox would have be fire Andrew Shrivell,

You are correct, Andrew Shrivell should have been immediately fired.

September 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

What?????? oh boy!!!!! I am surprised that Mr. Vitter's ads are so creepy one I have seen! Thanks Tom!

September 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I guess politics has gone to the "centerfolds"!

September 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Diane N.

This Shervill(sp?) fellow has such a distorted sense of justice how can he not be a liability to the ppl of MI.? I mean, with his gross distortion of justice how is allowed to hold such a high office in the field. He needs a doctor and to be evaluated!

September 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Sue R. Canton MI.

Mr Shervells blog clearly seemed to have showed a lot of hate toward a particular group of people and it's concerning that he is seriously trying to ruin this young man's possible career choices.

September 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Elizabeth

As a state employee I have been told repeatedly that I represent my department 24/7 and I should not do anything that will come back to my supervisor that would reflect badly on the department or state. This case shows an employee who is doing something not only over the line but is making the AG's office look bad and biased.

September 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Gabrielle

I am a gay Michigan resident and college student and I find it repulsive that this is who is representing us as citizens of the state of Michigan in the media and in Washington. He clearly has crossed the line. Although free speech is a founding staple of this country, he has crossed the line when his conduct became detrimental to the health and happiness of the college students and their families.

September 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Lori, CA

That is a very dirty ad. Especially if these statements are not proven.

September 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Heather - Spokane, WA

Wow, that ad really hits below the belt

September 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Marc

I do not believe that Mr. Shrivell is being completly honest about his actions. There must be a hidden agenda. What he is doing to another human being is horrible. Only an investigation will deterine why this is happening. With all the problems we have in our country, who has the time for such "garbage". We have become totally polorized and it seems that we cannot function as a country anymore.

Thank you.

September 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Haley

What are we teaching our future leaders if we are not willing to lead them in the right direction? The AG should repremamd his young employee by firing him- if his conduct is questionable enough to be on CNN- duh fire him!!

September 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Sriram

Anderson, This Asst.AG, MI business is not a bad story, but doesn't deserve to be the lead on two consecutive days, in my opinion. Lean news season, eh? You could try sports stories..

September 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Chi

Hi Tom, the political theatre is great! 🙂

September 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Tom Edwards

As a homosexual in Virginia,if one of my states representatives acted in such a disgraceful manner,I would rally with such aggression to see this individual fired.It seems to me that he may be a homosexual himself to have such strong anti-gay actions!!

September 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  40. vic , nashville tn

Hi every one
    I watched last night and today

Assistant AG Andrew Shirvell must fire he can say what ever he wants in his bathroom not in cyber because he is government official

September 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Rob

Yes, i do believe the Asst AG should be fired for his behaviour. As Anderson stated, his behavior is obsessive. But is his hatred toward homosexuals based on his religious beliefs? Maybe it is his obsession for religion that prevents him from thinking rationally in this matter. Maybe there needs to be some exploration of the dangers of religious addiction.

September 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  42. margaret

I believe the att.gen. in mich is just protecting is employee.Who in my opinion is just stupid.I lived in Michigan all my life & I don't trust any of the officials there.I believe that guy is a stalker & he should be fired God gave people the right to choose how they live their lives & He will judge what gives people the right to think they can tell people how they live & who they love.That employee needs to get a life of his own outside his job!!!

September 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Nina

Mr Shirvell would be fired in California

September 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Matthew

Yes fire him.., he is harassing with hate in his heart... They should be protecting this kid.. I'm fearful for him this man is acting dangerously CRAZY,,,,, fire him at once..

September 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Paul

Speech that is accepted and not controversial needs no protection. It's speech that is controversial that needs protection. Both sides of the coin need protection no matter how distasteful it is to you. Don't throw free speech under the bus. Firing is trying to quell or punish free speech.

September 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  46. kari

im from michigan, and honestly it outrages me that this andrew shirvell is in a way, representing my state. he IS a cyber bully. i hope he gets fired.

September 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Tammy

And yes he should be fired immediately!

September 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Tim

Fired? He ought to be prosecuted for stalking and harassment. This man is clearly disturbed and the attorney general ought to be ashamed for tolerating this behavior from an employee. The whole story is sickening and scary.

September 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Patrick McDermott

Doesn't this constitute harassment? I thought there were laws against harassment. If so this assistant AG is violating the law. Does that not justify dismissal?

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Chi, "Free speech is good, but when it gets to attacking a person's free of choice. It is misused and abused free speech!"

Unfortunately, this type of speech goes on all over the Internet on a daily basis. If they want to stop abusive speech on the Internet they would have to shut down Face Book, Twitter, all of the political blogs, and most of the rest of the blogs out there.

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |