September 29th, 2010

Should Mich. Asst. AG Be Fired?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, that law enforcement official who's targeting a college student in his spare time - singling him out for a campaign of vitriol and online attacks. New developments tonight, and the same question people keep asking us:  Why hasn't his boss fired him? We'll put that question to his boss - the Attorney General of Michigan. We're  keeping them honest. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Betty

I see a law suit coming! The atty is putting this young man's life in danger. I can't believe he is still on the pay roll.

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Jodi

Unacceptable, inflammatory and hateful. This guy should know better. The fact that his job is "safe" certainly points to the sad state of affairs in the AG office in Michigan. His conduct is unbecoming. Do we need to wait for something physical to happen to this student or his friends before Shirvell can be warned to back off, disciplined, or better yet fired? I would say videotaping this student's home, placing photos with swastikas, and hateful epithets is not only Conduct Unbecoming, but harrassment that can not be allowed to go on.

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Pam

Good Evening Anderson

Has this man lost his mind?!! TheAttorney General is crazy for allowing this Fool to continue his job with the State. The taxpayers of Michigan should be appauld and scared that they have such aperson working for them.

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Jeanine G

If i was a lawyer whose client's case even brushed up against Shirvell, I would be filing costly appeals and challenges based, not on Shirvell's words in his blog, but on Cox's own assessment of him. How damning would that be?

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Tammy

I am a resident of Michigan and I for one am appalled that this public employee, an attorney of all things , is being allowed to act in this manner. It certainly shows his ignorance!!!

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Missy

What's that old saying? I'll know it[someone who should be fired on the spot] when I see it.

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  7. dan

that guy needs to be fired. the u of m is one of the most liberal universities in the country, so i really dont think that being gay is much an issue there. also, that ag not only looks but acts crazy. i think a phych evaluation is warranted.

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Kate Kowaleski

I understand that we can't hinder someone's right to free speech just because we don't like what they're saying, but can't the things that he's saying be classified as "slander"? It seems to me that a public official saying that someone works for the devil goes farther than free speech. Also, I don't see how what he does isn't classified as stalking.

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Charles: Mesa, Az

Fire him. Sure we have free speech protection in our country, but, this is a case of an attempt at character assasination. If this is acceptable politics in our country, what does that say about the psyche of our citizens. If we allow this type of behavior to become the norm, it without a doubt will have a negative effect on our citizens and children. Individuals in leadership roles have great impact on the minds and behavior of children and adults. People will say to themselves" if they can do it, why not me"

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Christina

Why isn't there a lawsuit for libel? What Shirvel is doing clearly meets the definition!

September 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Kevin E.

Unfortunatly we do not have a cyberbullying law in MI but we do need an anti-bullying law to begin better education on tolerance and acceptance.

September 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Thorne

I'm a fan of the 1st Amendment, in fact you might say it's my favorite so I have a very difficult time finding a reason to not support it. I'm also a huge supporter of gay rights. I find myself believe that this Shrivel has either completely crossed the line into stalker-ville or he's treading on it only to inevitably fall over. I don't think his actions are becoming. This is a public employee (as I am!) going after a private citizen and terrorizing him. It's a tough question.

September 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  13. McKenzie - Vancouver BC

ok i get the whole free speech angle, but What Mr. Shirvell is doing is inciting Hate Speech, and he's clearly investing a huge amount of time into following this student. Personally, I think he sees a young gay man who is proud of who he is and is making a political name for himself, and hes attacking him to cover his own short comings. We see internalized homophobia all the time!

September 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Libby
    Megan, I have to disagree with you. I agree with Jeffrey Toobin on this and feel that AG is political. Thank goodness the AG's term is almost over!

Libby,
    I also disagee with you, I am sorry.... I think that if Mike Cox would have be fire Andrew Shrivell, That is my point if anyone are targeting gays on blog, that was not right to post any blog.

September 29, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Walt

As a lifelong resident of the state of Michigan, I find this conduct embarrassing to all residents of the state. YES this man should have been terminated this morning!

September 29, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I think he should rethink his action and leave well enough alone.

September 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  17. Rich in NJ

While he is entitled to free speech, he isn't entitled to his job. If he posted a picture of himself wearing a Nazi uniform, would he be fired? The only question is how quickly! When an employee of the AG's office does anything that could call into question the fairness of that office, the employee should be told to either stop the behavior or be fired. Would I fire him? I'd give him a choice: shut down the blog OR be fired.

September 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  18. Jeanine G

look...The AG says, ON RECORD, That his employee is immature and shows lack of judgment in a job which requires it. This isn't a free speech issue if Cox considers the price Michigan will pay keeping an asst aty gen whose own boss says he lacks the qualities needed in the job.

September 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Emily

@Jennifer Wilson,
    "What happened to Professionalisim?"
    I wonder that every time I see the ethics committee involved with elected officials. Professional appears to be fading fast in many areas.

September 29, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Paul Cambridge MA

I wrote to the MI AG this morning and never had a response. Glad to see his lame response tonight.

September 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  21. Sharon Hastings

I think the attorney general and his assistant need new gigs and I'm glad Jeff Toobin has this gig.

September 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  22. MaryinCO

YES! Totally uncalled for.

September 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Kenya

@Sharon Hastings

Well, if he won't fire him he should call him on the carpet and ask him forcefully to cease this behavior. Clearly it seems that Mr. Shervell's opinions could cloud his ability to do his job fairly for everyone.
    ___

I agree. How sure are we he's activities outside work don't roll over into his job duties?? We're not. Because of that risk he really should be gotten rid of.

September 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Jackie

Yes, I do think Mr Shirvell should be fired. As a Michigan resident and University of Michigan Alum, I am embarrassed that this man is representing our state.

September 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Marilyn

Nina has got it right. Mr. Shirvell is in violation of Michigan Civil Service code and Mr. Cox knows this too.

September 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Aubrey

I can't believe that this is truly happening.Shervill: Grow up! You have no business making another person's lifestyle choices your obsession.Your job may be safe, but is your conscience clean?

September 29, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Chi

Free speech is good, but when it gets to attacking a person's free of choice. It is misused and abused free speech! 😦

September 29, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Paul

How someone feels should not play into how you think he does his job. Just reverse the positions of the antagonists views and try to judge.

September 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Aaron Boalick

What about Shirley Sherrod? She was fired for supposedly being a bigot before anyone even took the time to verify her innocence. This guy has a proven track record of inappropriate hate-speech towards minority sexual communities.

September 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jeff Toobin is correct, we need law against cyber bully and protest in Michigan.

September 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Janis Hewitt

@jackie – you guys aren't the laughing stock of the nation. I like Michigan. Just don't like what this guy is doing. Your AG will be gone in 3 mos. Hang tight.

September 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

There is no doubt this guy is offensive and a cuber bully. Neither of these are illegal. If Nazis can march in Skokie under the First Amendment, this guy can have his say.

September 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  33. auri reynoso

absolutely he should be fired.He should learn how to respect human rights.all my respect to MR.Armstrong.I love him because there is nothing better than been proud of who you are. Love my rainbow flag.

September 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  34. Heather - Spokane, WA

When someone starts stalking another person and their family, it is no longer free speech

September 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Jennifer Wilson

What happened to Professionalisim? It's funny the double standard for political figures vs. common people! You would think that if you are in public office you would be held to the highest standard! I am certainly glad i dont live in the state of Michigan!

September 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Sandi

I have a hard time beleiving that so many will stand up for this (hmmmm don't really want to say "man") Anderson, keep up the pressure and get this insect fired.

September 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Nina

@ Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    Free speech trumps civil service laws.

The MOU trumps free speech

September 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Thomas Turner

The Asst AG and his boss should be run out of town

September 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Lori, CA

I agree that the official should not be at the student's house. That is very questionable.

September 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  40. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Jon...We're not getting the whole story. I suspect Shirvell's and Armstrong's paths have crossed somewhere.

September 29, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

His involvement is "over-kill!"

September 29, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  42. Michele

This Assistant A.G. is a liability to the State of Michigan. Chris should sue the state and the Asst. A.G. in civil court for defamation. Forget if it is legal or not or not protected his behavior is so unacceptable.

September 29, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Libby

September 29, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    Why the obsession with a minor functionary who is clearly a nut case?

The reason is the bully on the internet who is gay student, it was Andrew Shrivell posted his blog against him as well.

September 29, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  45. Brenda

Has anyone considered the legal ethics standards in Michigan? I would think this guy's actions would breach the ethics standards that govern lawyers in all states.

September 29, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

September 29, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Libby, Yes, what he's doing is offensive. It's not headline news.

September 29, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, Shrivell's actions are inappropriate and "unbecoming", but there are many govt. officials, even in the White House, that have acted inappropriately and have acted "unbecoming", but they still have their jobs.

The laws either apply to everyone or to no one.

September 29, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Cessy - Chicago

Yeah! TOOBIN in the house!

September 29, 2010 at 10:13 pm |