AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
September 28th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Asst. AG Targets Gay Student

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on 360­°, you'll hear from Michigan's Assistant Attorney General who is raging an online war against an openly gay college student.

Andrew Shirvell is in charge of taking on serious criminals and upholding the law. But in his spare time, he's running a controversial blog called "Chris Armstrong Watch."

Chris Armstrong is the student body president at the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor. He's also openly gay. Shirvell targets Armstrong in his blog saying he has a 'radical homosexual agenda." The first posting has a photo of Armstrong with the word "resign" over his face, along with a swastika and rainbow flag.

Shirvell graduated from University of Michigan in 2002, where he was active in the pro-life community.

Shirvell's boss, Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox, released this statement:

"Mr. Shirvell's personal opinions are his and his alone and do not reflect the views of the Michigan Department of Attorney General. But his immaturity and lack of judgment outside the office are clear."

Shirvell claims he’s exercising his First Amendment right of free speech. But critics say he’s gone too far and say his tactics amount to cyber-bullying.

Anderson talked with Shirvell just moments ago about his blog. Hear what he has to say for himself tonight on the program.

Also on our radar tonight, the home invasion case in Connecticut. Testimony has ended in the trial of Steven Hayes, who's accused of killing a mother and her two daughters in 2007. Closing arguments are slated for Friday. We'll talk about today's developments in court with Beth Karas, a correspondent for "In Session" on our sister network truTV. She was in court today. We'll also talk with CNN Senior Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin.

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET on CNN. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Marion

I believe as a parent of a college student this shrivell guy is appalling. non of this is part of a political campaign, and i am amazed that he can still hold his job as asst. ag. if he was in ohio people would be up in arms. It's appalling that a supposed adult is doing this to a college student.

September 29, 2010 at 5:12 am |
  2. Monique

Did that fool(Shirvell) say this is par for the course now in politics and elections?? does he realize that Armstrong is student body pres. in college not pres of US or running for congress? Why does his old a** care about college biz? Its bad enough this is par for the course in elections now. These pple are crazy!!!! He has the nerve to be Ass AG at that. he needs to be fired. I hope armstrong is careful cuz dude is unstable.

September 29, 2010 at 1:52 am |
  3. Daniel

How ignorant is this guy? How did he get to be AAG? I wouldn't be surprise if this guy is projecting his fears, and is himself, a closet homosexual. I think the only "Shrivell"ing here is his intelligence. I could have sworn I was listening to a fourth grader, since he is definitely not smarter than a fith grader. The AG should ask for his resignation, decline the acceptance, and then fire this guy, all in a public forum. This guy makes me break out in a rash!

September 29, 2010 at 1:48 am |
  4. Tom

Michigan residents should call their representatives and demand this lunatic be immediately fired from his job. There is no place for this type of behavior from people in his position in law enforcement regardless if it is done in his own time, which with his obsessiveness, I doubt that it is. Hiding behind the First Amendment and religion is a disgusting affront for his homophobia. Me thinks thou doeth protest too much. We know why, Mr Shirvell, just come out already.

September 29, 2010 at 1:47 am |
  5. Rae

I am a 21 year old college student, and would be far past infuriated if someone took actions similar to that of mr. shirvell, against myself. After watching the interview I understand that mr.shirvell does not even know the recently elected student council president himself. So again, with what information is mr. shirvell formulating his arguments? Furthermore, why is the fact that the student council president is openly gay even remotely important? I do not follow the logic in associating someone's sexual preference with their ability to be an effective leader. I'm sure there have been "racist elitists" elected as student council presidents before, so why is mr. shirvell so stuck on this particular one. As someone of any ethnicity can be racist against any other ethnicity, how does mr. shirvell know that chris is racist? and as mr. shrivell is NOT a member of the student body/council that elected chris, why is he taking it upon himself to express his blatantly rude opinions? Lastly, why would a grown man who has graduated from college and has a nice job (as any job may be described as such in today's economy) concern himself protesting against an ELECTED student body president. Does he think the student's are going to change their minds? I'm sure a few students know Chris and know he will do a good job of representing their needs as college students, and that is why he was elected.

September 29, 2010 at 1:42 am |
  6. Earl from Michigan

Anderson I'm a resident of Michigan and this is such an embarrassment to have a homophobic person in a public position. He sounded more panicked then many of my 9-1-1 callers I answer daily at my place of employment. I like the part where he said you sounded angry.. You’re a reporting trying to get the answers to some simple questions and he is not being honest. My opinion Mr. Shrivell was most likely a victim of bullying at a young age and is using his position as Assistant Attorney General to spread hatred. Almost sounds like a hate crime he is committing towards Mr. Armstrong. Mr. Shrivell sure would NOT have my vote if he decided to run for any office here in Michigan. Why is he still employed? One word sums up this Mr. Shrivell attacks – STUPID!

September 29, 2010 at 1:40 am |
  7. Angela

I am in Shock and total "disgust" after listening to the interview with AC and the "Homophobic" Michigan Asst AG. Cyber bullying is a crime punishable by the law. How dare you call yourself a Christian. Un-like you, I seek the good in people and will be praying for you tonight idiot....

September 29, 2010 at 1:37 am |
  8. Charles Britt Endsley

I hate politics, but I personally have to do something about writing someone to help try to remove this asst AG from office! Who is the? Attorney General's supervisor, The Governor of Michigan? Should I write the congressman? Please send me an address or email address of the political figure to get this creep out of office. This is my first act in politics to do something about a situation that is totally over the edge, a hate crime and dangerous! I am most concerned about the emotional and physical danger of this college Student Councilman's life, such as murder resulting from a hate crime. Please respond if you have someone that assist me who I should contact and what I can do to at least make a tiny step toward the removal of this bigot! Thanks, CBE

September 29, 2010 at 1:34 am |
  9. brent

I have never laughed so hard at something so scary. Stunning interview exposing homophobia. Now i think i'll cry

September 29, 2010 at 1:34 am |
  10. william

shirvell is a nut and needs to be canned

September 29, 2010 at 1:33 am |
  11. Chris Davis

You all have got to go to this guy's blog. funniest (saddest) thing ever. (Search Chris Armstrong Watch) This Andrew guy is not the smartest tool in the shed and the quotes that he obviously created are hilarious. My take is he is in love with Chris Armstrong and actually might even be dangerous. If I was Chris A. I'd be a little nervous about this psycho. Yikes!

September 29, 2010 at 1:32 am |
  12. Peter J Leone Jr.

Anderson, Admire and respect you totally. Your my favorite of any news station. Watched your interview with Andrew Shirvell and was amazed at how an adult in a responsible position can get away with acting like a complete maniac. He should be fired and hopefully sued for his hateful, homophobic behavior in my opinion. The Attorney General should also be taken to task for not putting a stop to his assistants insane behavior. Best to you always, Anderson, Sincerely, Peter J Leone Jr.

September 29, 2010 at 1:32 am |
  13. KIM

Great Story AC,thanks for bringing it to light. This AAG is nuts to put it bluntly! MR. AG Cox, you were elected to do a job, now do it, even if it means going after one of your own.

September 29, 2010 at 1:31 am |
  14. Nora

I can see that by a brief read of the 66 comments that not many people see the difficulty of a homosexual young man at the helm of the U of M student body. He definately has an agenda that will be propelled by his homosexuality. I hope that more people hear about this story and that the campus is filled with many faculty, staff, and students who also have conservative moral beliefs and aren't afraid to express them.

September 29, 2010 at 1:28 am |
  15. RUSSELL

Simply put: call or email the Michigan AG's office about the disturbing behavior of Mr. Shirvell. I emailed the office and will probably also call.

September 29, 2010 at 1:27 am |
  16. Carolyn

Your interview was right on – this man is a squirrel and whomever is responsible for his still having a job, ought to fired asap...where did the rep party dig up this wing nut....I hope the young man being stalked by this kook files suit! Keep up with the story and the spot-on reporting.

September 29, 2010 at 1:26 am |
  17. anne mccormick

what Andrew Shirvell has done is not only morally reprehensible it is also behaviour that should not be tolerated. whether Mr Shirvell likes it or not; the people of Michigan have a right to demand that he is held up a higher standard of behaviour. Perhaps, it is time for Mr Shirvell to look for another place of employment.

September 29, 2010 at 1:25 am |
  18. Jason

Anderson, I was amazed at the interview you had with Shirvell. For an Assistant Attorney General to come on the national media, and speak so ignorantly, was deeply disturbing. He could barely form coherent thoughts regarding the issue, and believes that calling Chris Armstrong a Nazi and Satan's representative is not in anyway hateful. His statements were most certainly hateful, as well as childish and unbecoming of a public officer. I seriously hope the Michigan Attorney General sees your interview and promptly fires Andrew Shirvell. He is a disgrace to his position.

September 29, 2010 at 1:24 am |
  19. Fernanda

Mr. Shirvell does not have a clear premise, thought process or conclusion. He is blinded by ignorance, by hatred and fear. How can he hold a a job ?! What is the AG thinking?

September 29, 2010 at 1:22 am |
  20. Erika

I think that it is absolutely disgusting that a grown man who is in public office would think that it was alright to act this way towards another human being, no matter his beliefs. It's equally disgusting that his boss the attorney general of the state of michigan is going to allow this behavior to continue and not fire this immature, and obviously mentally unbalanced individual.

September 29, 2010 at 1:22 am |
  21. Nancy

Shame on Mr. Cox for allowing Shrivell to still be representing him.

September 29, 2010 at 1:22 am |
  22. Sandra D

You are right on with this being this issue. As a person in the govenment world you are judged differently and you take this position knowing your actions will be judged is not taking your responsiblities seriously is crazy.

September 29, 2010 at 1:20 am |
  23. Steve

I really appreciate public figures who aren't wishy washy. Andrew shirvell, this californian supports you and would gladly welcome you!
    dont tread on me.

September 29, 2010 at 1:20 am |
  24. archie

Watching this really boggles my mind on how some people live thinking so narrow minded and childish and politics. I feel bad for Anderson Cooper for wasting his intelligence and time for interviewing this hater.

September 29, 2010 at 1:19 am |