September 23rd, 2010

Evening Buzz: Bishop Sex Scandal

Bishop Eddie Long drew criticism for marching against gay marriage.

Bishop Eddie Long drew criticism for marching against gay marriage.

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight, one of the biggest names in the evangelical community is facing allegations he coerced three young men to have sex with him. Bishop Eddie Long of the 25-thousand member New Birth Missionary Baptist Church near Atlanta denies the charges.

"Let me be clear: The charges against me and New Birth are false," Long said in a statement read by his attorney on the Tom Joyner Morning Show. "I have devoted my life to helping others and these false allegations hurt me deeply, but my faith is strong and the truth will emerge."

20-year old Maurice Robinson, 21-year-old Anthony Flagg met Pastor Long through his LongFellows Youth Academy.  The third man accusing Long,  23-year-old Jamal Parris, joined New Birth whne he was 14. He went on to become a summer camp counselor at the church and served as Long's personal assistant.

Long is known for publicly denouncing homosexuality.

We'll talk about the case with Ted Haggard, who was forced out his own megachurch four years ago after a scandal involving drugs and a gay prostitute. You’ll also hear from Pastor Troy Sanders, an openly gay minister in Atlanta.

We'll also continue Dr. Sanjay Gupta's special report on a team of disease detectives trying to save two very sick patients. One is a little girl, the other is a mother of five children. They've each faced a grueling series of tests at the National Institutes of Health's Undiagnosed Disease Program. We'll tell you about the important clues that were found.

Plus, the video that's too hot for Sesame Street. It's tonight's shot.  And, we'll tell you how to vote for the CNN Hero of the year.

Don't miss these stories and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Bridgette

I pray for all parties involved.I ask God for healing and deliverance in this situation.We all fall short when being measured. That's what Grace and Mercy is for.Often we forget that we all are sinners. Sin is sin. It doesn't matter if its stealing,lying,or murder. I'm not a minister. But I do know in this situatin. All Saints of God need to geton one accord and pray.Pray for the accusers and the accused.And keep in mind, only God can Judge. Man does not decide who enters heaven or will open their eyes in hell; and I thank God for that.

September 23, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  2. New Truth

Whether these allegations are true or not. Hopefully something positive can come out of it. Mainly, that the Black Church can move from viewing same gender loving people as " sin from the pit of hell" to people whom the creator made in the image of himself. Mega churches like New Birth could be used to educate people about HIV/AIDS, thereby slowing this epidemic if not bringing it to a halt in the Black community. Instead of viewing this superstitiously and waging the witch hunt, inspiring a nationwide conversation about HIV/AIDs prevention, which affects all African Americans, regardless to sexual preference. The HIV virus doesn't discriminate.

September 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  3. SASHA

I WOULD HATE FOR THAT 2 BE TRUE BUT U HAVE TO THINK THESE ARE GROWN MEN THAT SHOULD HAVE KNOW BETTER AND WHY ARE THEY JUS NOW SPEAKING ON IT??????? GOD WILL REVEAL THE TRUE AND IF IT IS TRUE HE HAS TO DEAL WITH GOD NOT US......AND IF IT'S NOT TRUE HOW CAN A PERSON APOLOGIZE 4 SUCH A HORROR ALLEGATION??????

September 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Frances Gibson

Let's wait until the verdict. This man has done wonderful things. I am not placing him in heaven, however;I am not putting him in hell either.

September 23, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Njoroge Mbaria

The minister is innocent until proved guilty. He should not be used to justify or scapegoat sodomy. Homosexuality is a sin from the pit of hell, plain and simple.

September 23, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  6. Rev. Dr. Robert Griffin, Metropolitan Community Churches

"It did not take a scandal for me to come out (same-gender-loving) and live in truth" Rev. Troy Sanders. Well said!

September 23, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Mark

Its amazing that, once again, americans will not WAKE UP! These are just MEN, nothing more! I don't care how many people are in his church. And as a homosexual, if it is a sin, I will not let anyone deprive me of my opportunity to meet and stand before god to talk about it. At this point, Bishop Long may have a lot more explaining to do than others.

September 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  8. Monique Doward

This is not a scandal it is a disrespect to all children when they cannot trust the church members

September 23, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Freeman Pauling

He is know more then a man he is not God. We all do thing that we should not do, but I do beleive that a Pastor should be held to a higher stander then other. He should come clean now and get it over with.

September 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  10. Rebecka

My problem with all this is these are grown men that could have said no. If this is the fact then they should be held accountable for there own actions

September 23, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  11. Annie Kate

Looking forward to Dr. Gupta's report; it is one of the best stories on AC360 this year. Those doctors are amazing and I could listen to a lot more about their practice.

And on a less serious note – I'm really interested in seeing what's too hot for Sesame Street. That has to be good!

September 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm |
  12. Joseph

I pray that the church will discipline this minister, whether he is innocent or guilty, for the sake of the purity of the Church at large.

September 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm |