September 16th, 2010

Christine O’Donnell’s claims vs. the facts: Join the live chat

What you might not know about the Tea Party sensation of the moment, Delaware's GOP Senatorial nominee Christine O'Donnell. She’s trailing her opponent badly in a poll out today, but crushing him in the money race, claiming close to a million dollars in contributions in the last 24 hours alone. But as the money flows in, we’re also learning more about how she spent some of the money left over from her former campaign as well as inconsistencies between some of her statements and the facts. Keeping them honest, we’ll be checking the rhetoric against reality.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori, CA

I do not doubt that being First Lady is very very diffcult.....

September 16, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That what lawyers do, they create doubts!

September 16, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Cindy

I feel so, so bad for the husband and father who survived the horrific act. People who commit these violent crimes need to be held accountable! It is totally unbelievable to me the defense would try to blame the police in this instance.

September 16, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Di

Good night Anderson, Thank you for another phenomenal show. Wishing you the sweetest of dreams this weekend and may an old dream or two become more than dreams, next week.

September 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Emily

@Linda and Dan
    "He is by no means getting a free pass, he is simply not on our minds at the moment."
    I wish that he was! I don't think that anyone should be off of the mind of someone who is running and asking for your vote right now. I bet that is what he is hoping; that he is not on your mind, out of sight, out of mind.

September 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Lori, CA

They should have detained the victim and the suspect at the bank and concurrently sent cars to the house.

September 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Lori,
    Good point question,
    They choose that was invasion home robbery and steal the money and kill them.

September 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Sharon Hastings

I've said this before concerning horrific crimes. Regardless of how you feel personally about the death penalty–this crime is why we have it.

September 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The death penalty was made to order for a case like this.

September 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Starr, formerly known as vincent

What an incredible tragedy, God bless the husband and father who survived, he will need all of the emotional support he can get.

Yes, a very tricky question about the Police reaction. Understandable.

My prayers to remaining family & friends who have to live with this horrible memory.

Toobin, i hope,is right, hopefully it (the defense strategy) won't work.

I am reserved on the Death penalty, but this guy deserves to die!!

September 16, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Kenya

Heard this story for the first time today. Some things should've, would've, could've been done differently. Nonetheless very sad for the family. Rest their souls and God Bless the husband/father.
    Goodnight Mr. Cooper, David G., team 360, moderators and everyone.

September 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Sara

Having money problem is not the issue but cheating on campaign expenses and lying about it is the issue.

September 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  13. Lori, CA

Blame the Police Department? That is really low.

September 16, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Janis Hewitt

They can't blame the police for this crime. You can wish things had been different but they can't take any blame for a couple of monsters. They only mistake was letting them back into the public if they met in a halfway house.

September 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

The story of the home invasion is so sad and disgusts me that people would do this. I think the police there need to change their protocol for things like this and those two men need to be executed and I do not mean let them sit on death row for 10 years

September 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  16. Gail Duncan

How horrible the home invasion....So sad. I pray for the husband and may his family rest in peace.

September 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Emily

@David Gergen,

Clearly there is a grassroots fury going on.
    I really hope that the people & the media will hold the all candidates accountable on all media outlets. That all the people can learn as much as possible about each and every one of them – regardless of the party they represent.

September 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  18. David, Indiana

How is he going to get around those emails and the comments on hygiene?

September 16, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Sue R. Canton MI.

I tried to follow this trial where the mom and two daughters were terrorized and murdered. It was just to hard to listen to all of the horrific events that took place. It does make me rethink my views regarding the death penalty....Very Sickening story.

September 16, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Chi

Re Crime and punishment: Terrible 😦 !

September 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  21. Lori, CA

That is an awful story. Why did they choose that family to terrorize?

September 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Such a sad story on the CT home invasion. Why does it take so long to go to trial? (3 yrs on the docket?) The heinous crimes done here definitely deserve swift and immediate punishment (e.g. death penalty). This is horrible! Police should have done something sooner. Those daughters may have not died of smoke inhilation.

September 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Chi & Casey,
    Yes, she did herself own acid her face, she must face charge false report to police... she will pay for this.

September 16, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Paul Malick

I grew up in Rochester NY in the bad area. I would have given anything for the opportunity like Paladino is offering. Instead I got Vietnam.

September 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Those two disgusting murderers have already lived three years on tax payer money!

September 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Libby

That poor lady and her two little girls! How devastating! 😦

September 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Emily

@joe,
    I heard stuff about mail that was scented with a garbage scent (nice), and e-mails that contained an image(s) of bestiality (ick).

September 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily
    What happened at John Hopkins Hospital today was so disturbing...I wish that Doctor a speedy recovery.

He was so upset at doctor that his mom was paralyzed and he shot doctor, including his kill mom and himself...... That is very serious shock.... bad situation.

September 16, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Karen, MN

The story of the home invasion is so scary and sad. What a nightmare those last few hours of their lives must have been. These two men are horrible.

September 16, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

These two murdering monsters in Connecticut did not deserve a trial. Our court system is so criminal friendly that even if they get the death penalty they will live many years longer than their victims did.

September 16, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  31. JC-Los Angeles

Did Paladino fall off the roof and hit his head at a construction site?

Paladino, O'Donnell, Rangel and Spitzer, the hits keep on coming.

September 16, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I saw a re-enactment of that case. I can't remember which program it was.

September 16, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Kenya

Thank you for your honesty David G.

September 16, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

Wow, Anderson, what an interview. Thank you. Where did these people come from? These people are going to save our country??

September 16, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Chi

Like the way you give questions, AC!

September 16, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Dulcie - Denver

I'm unemployed and he wants to send me to prison? Oh yeah, put me in an old hospital. Right. Hey, I'm looking for a job, but I don't need 'personal hygeine' lessons.

September 16, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Heather - Spokane, WA

Paladino at first admits that he sent that x rated email of the woman and the horse then he just turned around and said that he didn't and then did the same thing when it came to the racially offensive emails. Are people really serious that they want a guy like this in office?

September 16, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

I can't watch this next segment....I have seen it (a couple years ago) and that's plenty for me. Saw it earlier on CNN too. So I'll say goodnight, people. Take care this weekend.

September 16, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Emily

I respect Paladino for coming on Live and taking with Anderson!
    I didn't know anything about him.

September 16, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I agree David Gergen. Similar scrutiny should be given on the other candidates. It's very important to know where these candidates stand. If the American public is truly wanting change in its political leaders, we need to not just accept a new person without the proper filtering process. We could let loose some dangerous people to run our country.

September 16, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  41. lisal -canada

well this fellow obviously has friends who share his values and such – isn't transparency great!!

September 16, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  42. Drew Helmstetter

All this about money? and management of money... Lets go over it one more time... Tea Party candidates might not "seem" the brightest, but thats why mainstream America identifies with them (for good or ill). They don't have family fortunes, for the most part, or entire staffs of thousands that make them "seem" responsible, smart, etc. Heck, I can't think of a candidate since Lincoln that came from a log cabin.

September 16, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Janis Hewitt

I kind of feel like I'm watching the slow fracturing of the Republican Party. It's like they don't know what to do. Whoops, I take my previous refreshing statement back. Bad stuff in his e-mails.

September 16, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Nancy in Oregon

"Offensive" seems to be his M.O.!!

September 16, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  45. joe

@ emily

I can't help but find Mr Paladino to be rude and offensive.His views are just tooooo for to the right for me too take seriously.

September 16, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Di

How could he forget that????

September 16, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Libby

Prediction for NY Governor's Race: Cuomo 81%, Paladino: 14%, Other: 5%

September 16, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Nick, "I'm not a Geitner fan either but he was appointed by the Prez."

Geithner may have been appointed by the president, but it doesn't make his tax problems any less serious.

September 16, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Nancy in Oregon

I think he is a little off course, Soledad.

September 16, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  50. Jane - Vt

this "gentleman" is a millionaire who has earned his money by renting properties to the government.

September 16, 2010 at 10:38 pm |