September 16th, 2010

Christine O’Donnell’s claims vs. the facts: Join the live chat

What you might not know about the Tea Party sensation of the moment, Delaware's GOP Senatorial nominee Christine O'Donnell. She’s trailing her opponent badly in a poll out today, but crushing him in the money race, claiming close to a million dollars in contributions in the last 24 hours alone. But as the money flows in, we’re also learning more about how she spent some of the money left over from her former campaign as well as inconsistencies between some of her statements and the facts. Keeping them honest, we’ll be checking the rhetoric against reality.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Soledad Gomez

Paladino's ideas are so over the top that he sounds insane.

September 16, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Sue R. Canton MI.

EEW,,Is he for real,,,Mail that smells like garbage? Can't imagine leaving that on my desk for several days.

September 16, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Ray

Integrity, honesty and moral fiber_Now we know what it means when we say "The pot calling the kettle black." Electing Christine O'Donnell is like the GOP putting the fox in the chicken coop!
    They did that before.

September 16, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Wow. An old TB center? Well, I do have to give Paladino credit for creativity, not necessarily for tact.

September 16, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

I don’t feel to to be entitled to comment on the elections in the USA, but there are aspects of it that makes me wonder whether it really can be the model of democracie for the rest of the world.

September 16, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Heather - Spokane, WA

This Paladino guy is making a real bad name for himself by talking the way he is. If I recieved a peice of mail that smelled bad I would be throwing it away and not paying attention to it

September 16, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  7. David Gergen

Hello everyone - thanks for a robust conversation tonight about Ms. O'Donnell. I think it is right to give her full scrutiny tonight - she has just had a major impact upon politics, and people around the country deserve to know who she is. That said, I hope - and I am sure - that we will soon move on to give similar scrutiny to other candidates. And very importantly, we need to focus more on the frustrations and fears of voters - clearly something very important is happening at the grassroots level and too often, as Anderson said, we who are privileged to sit in tv studios don't have as good an understanding as we should.

September 16, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Walter, Greenville, NC

I agree that their should be equal coverage for both candidates on their backgrounds. I doubt anything could be as damaging as O'Donnell's spending habits with campaign money.

September 16, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Heather. She must be disturbed. The harder part is that she could have engendered copycats already.

September 16, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Kaytee

"You all don't get it. The Tea Party is made up by everyone who is sick and tired of elections and politics as usual. We don't care what party the person is with. If they agree with the Tea Party's principles and we could care less about which group gets the power in Washington .You and your pundits have put the Tea Party in the Republican side.But the truth they have an allegiance to no one .Their views if is supported by democrats then the Tea Party would support them."

Yet they have only supported very right wing republicans. They are what they are.

September 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Gail Duncan

Paladino needs to get his head examined quick. Wow

September 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Nick

Well Michelle, I'm not a Geitner fan either but he was appointed by the Prez. They could have declined his appointment in the congress. The problem with this lady is not just the tax issue. It's a pattern of lying and misusing campaign funds. Meanwhile, she wants to run for an elected office and represent the people of Delaware.
    Being fair on both sides, Charlie Rangle who is another crook, should have never been accepted in his district but I guess the people in that district are as dumb as the Tea Partiers.

September 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Paladino thinks adoption is the only option for rape or incest? He just lost.

September 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Emily

@Gail Duncan,
    "Yes, don't assume but do get all the facts."

Getting the facts would be much better if the person would speak with the reporter directly.

September 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  15. Chi

Mails smell like garbage? 😀 Now, I can call my garbage bin a mail box? 🙂

September 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  16. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I would be appalled to receive a stinking flyer. Not sure that's the best way to get the point across.

September 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Shane, Las Vegas

Paladino Says that regarding the Statue of Liberty (Ellis Island)and poor immigrants coming here. "Keep em in their own countries, we don't want them". Nice guy!!!LOL He says if a 14 year old child is raped by her grandfather and gets pregnant she should be made to have the baby! Wow, extreme much! You go Tea Party! Regular folk Huh!

September 16, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It is the odor of corruption!

September 16, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Lori, CA

Stinky mail!

September 16, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Janis Hewitt

You can't help but like this guy. He's so far from a professional politician it kind of refreshing.

September 16, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Sofie

Oh dear, this man really scares me a whole lot.

September 16, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Kaytee

O'Donnell is one scary chic. She has said some really crazy stuff. what an idiot. I have to agree with Rove, she SHOULD NOT BE ELECTABLE!

September 16, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

I would guess her democratic opponent isn't assuming he will win without a hard fought campaign esp with the contributions flowing into her campaign. How does her democratic opponent address these issues?

That ad took my by surprise.

September 16, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Sue R. Canton MI.

I agree with Roland Martin,,,And I think the Democrats need to take the Tea Party more seriously when it comes to the election in Nov.

September 16, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Kate

Ms O'Donnell needs to answer questions about her ability to manage money. How can she complain about Government spending and she cannot control hers and is also dishonest about her own ability to control her spending. She may, by chance, make it a female issue to get elected' but she is no better than the people that she talks about in Washington, or is she looking for a pay check.

September 16, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It's no sin eating ice cream! Hmm, speaking of ice cream!

September 16, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Thomas Carter

September 16, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Emily

@Sree,
    "By the way "TEA" in "Tea PARTY" stands for "Taxed Enough Already"..."

I guess they are fans of Green Tea! 🙂

September 16, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Heather - Spokane, WA

The lady who threw acid in her own face must have some serious issues with attention if she is willing to do that.

I can see the humor in the ice cream ad, it's not tasteful (no pun intended) but I see the humor.

September 16, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Drew Helmstetter

Simple question: What is worse? (1) Spending a few hundred dollars unethically on coffee, gas, and rent or (2) Spending a few million dollars unethically and paying a few millions dollars for A+ partisan beauracrats to keep the books clean? (By the way) O'Donnell's campaign was based out of her house and her financial planner quit; so she's (1)

September 16, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  31. charles pyle

Having trouble with paying money back and paying your taxes is something that outrages me in polititians who have several homes and millions of dollars. O' Donnell's trouble may be that she was not blessed to be an elitist.

September 16, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Bob

The question is not that Biden, Geitner, etc are angels. They were questionable and the press brought that up. The fairness is to let the press bring this stuff up and see if she gets elected. Odonnell and Palin want to be in the limelight only if it is good. Palin at least had the sense to take a position where she can critize but does not have to present a solution.

September 16, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Eric

I have lived in Delaware for all of my 50 something years, and i'm astonished that this person hasn't tried to run for a lower political position like for county council or treasurer or something like that firs...which is usually the Delaware way. It seems to me that this person has become somewhat of shister, making a living off of donations to her senatorial campaigns every time she has run. I always voted for Castle because at least he appeared to have honesty and integrity. This woman can't be trusted in my opinion. She won't be getting my vote.

September 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  34. ray gaines

Anderson,
    I can't believe that there is anyone defending this candidate after hearing her history. I mean isn't that the very thing that they want out. Their true colors are showing if they continue I don't see how they can be taken seriously about wanting change. They then tell her don't talk to certain media in order not to have to answer to the people for these concerns, I mean what do you call that. Sounds to me like they want to trade one crook for another.

September 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Emily

What happened at John Hopkins Hospital today was so disturbing...I wish that Doctor a speedy recovery.

September 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Cindy

Hi AC....great show tonight and THANK YOU for keeping them honest!

September 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Can you imagine throwing acid on your own face, THEN facing criminal charges????! YIKES! My compassionate side wants to see no charges but mandatory counseling of some sort.

Love the pregnant nun and the tag line. It's GREAT!

September 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Shane, Las Vegas

Ari says that the Tea Party is made about the spending of tax payer money by the politicians and about the debt and so he says what they did is they they voted in O'Donnell as their candidate, when it seems Violated FCC election Laws and as a fact spent tax payer money (Campaign donations) to pay her own rent, go bowling etc. etc. etc. and increased the debt. That's his logic and his defense of her and the Tea Party??? LOL

This is the same candidate on the record stating the Government is through Genetics growing full grown human brains in rats!!! You go Tea Party...LOL

September 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  39. Betty Omar Simpkins

I think she is Tea Party material–give her half-million dollar in outfits–teach her how to walk–and she will take FOX by storm!

September 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Kenya

Who would pour acid on themselves? The things some people will do for attention. tsk.

September 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Chi

Re Acid attack: What??? unbelievable!

September 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Scott

Lets get one thing straight most politicians are corrupt. Not a big surprise that they spend campaign money on themselves.

September 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Emily

That ad is really cool!

September 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Judd Hamilton

Important? Truth, transparency, openness, the confidence to face any legitimate person (albeit journalist) with relevant questions, are you kidding! How can that list of logical criteria be important to anyone much less our prospective politicians? What's important is how similar McDonnell and Palin look and their stunning sense of fashion.

September 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Nancy in Oregon

I hear you, Jo Ann. People like this are really just spoilers. They don't care, of course...they are in it for themselves.

September 16, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  46. mario brunson

so i guess that make it right for her,this sad

September 16, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Tacuma

Goodnight to you Anderson and your panel. it seems as though Politics has now become a Reality jester where anyone of no serious Social stability can just run for Candidacey.I hope the American people look at these so call Politician and make serious decision when choosing these kind of people to lead them.

September 16, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Emily

@paul hagen,

I appreciate you posting...I wonder about many of those in the Tea Party anyways who are so against the establishment, overall (at least that is how they are running). I really thought that Mike Castle was doing a great job there in Delaware for all of yous. I don't think that yous will have a boring Nov.

September 16, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Scott Smith

Hi Anderson,

I wonder if this is not a matter of the tea party candidates, or their legal teams, not being as adept to the rules as they currently in a convoluted way, exist. It seems to me that the 'entrenched candidates' of the traditional parties are using this issue as a whipping post and reason to discredit and damage the competition. It seems to me this was a setup made long ago.

Many thanks,
    Scott Smith, Terry, MS

September 16, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Sharon Hastings

David Gergen is right as usual. I am hoping that thinking people will rise up and not allow these kooks to hijack our country.

September 16, 2010 at 10:28 pm |