September 14th, 2010

Will Tea Party candidates cost GOP control of Senate?: Join the Live Chat

The primary season is careening to a close, complete with alleged death threats, angry voters and overheated political ads. Tonight we’ll bring you live coverage of the final major primary races unfolding today in seven states and the District of Columbia.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. David, Indiana

The ad by Nancy Pelosi's opponent cracks me up but I don't think I'm persuaded by the argument.

That's right the guest you intvw'd last week did say PG@E sent a crew and that is a missing piece of the puzzle.

Well said by David Gergen, a serious insurgency within the party. But in congress they'll be republicans.

I understand the back and forth on the pt of the Tea Party representing discontent, though maybe the earlier pt about challenges to incumbent answers this.

September 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Libby

Awwww, how come the hour goes by so fast? 😦 See you all tomorrow night! 😀

September 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good night Anderson and bloggers Emily, Mike,Starr, and Megan.

September 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Karen, MN

Good night:)

September 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Emily

@Libby,
    I've never watched American Idol, however, I've heard many who do watch it say that they won't now that Simon is gone...I think that he also created that show, did he not?

September 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I think it's interesting that there always seems to be a push to have control of the House or Senate. Doesn't a more even balance give room for differing ideas in terms of legislation? With that, there still can exist the politicking from one side of the aisle to the other and convincing others to come to their side and hence their ideas. I wouldn't ever want to see a high majority that makes the House or Senate lopsided.

Good evening all...

September 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Kenya

November should be quite as interesting..don't you all agree?
    Goodnight Mr. Cooper, Team 360, moderators and everyone.

September 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Sue R. Canton MI.

Goodnight AC360 Team and fellow bloggers.
    Good show tonight Anderson.
    Great coverage on the primary election.

Stay safe everyone.

September 14, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Karen, MN

I think it will be interesting to see what Paula and Simon do next.

September 14, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Libby

Jo Ann, I like Evan Bayh too. I wish we had more sensible politicians like Evan Bayh and Scott Brown. 😀

September 14, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! May the best candidate win!

September 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Sharon Hastings

It seems these new conservative Republicans run the risk of so much damage to their own party! I mean they are still Republicans, aren't they?? Throw the baby out with the bathwater!!

September 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Chi

Good night AC and 360ers 🙂

September 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Evelyn Severe

Sak Pasay! Anderson

GOP need to change its focus; therefore, tea party interference is a good thing. It is time that Republicans start some constructive work, You cannot campaign all the time.

September 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha,others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you on Thursday night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!

September 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Cole

I am glad to see the GOP on notice, it's time America had a real third party contender. This will be an eye opener for both major parties that America is fed up with Washington's antics on both sides.

September 14, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Emily, some social conservatives have jumped on the Tea Party bandwagon, but the Tea Party platform deals with fiscal issues only. Nothing on abortion, gay marriage, etc.

September 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, " It was in effect the people say enough is enough."

I think that is true, but I believe it had more to do with Brown being a moderate than anything else. The Tea Party is going to hurt the Republicans by backing extremists.

September 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  19. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

I think that it's a sign that it is an end of the Kennedy-era in MA.

September 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  20. Libby

Sue in MI, definitely American Idol won't be the same without Simon no matter who they bring in!

September 14, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Dion

We had so-called fiscally conservatives in control of government from 2001-2009. All we got for that was the longest and deepest recession in U.S. History. Tea Party candidates have no idea on what "effective" government is and how to do it. They frame the debate between big and small government

September 14, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I agree with Isha said, I miss Paula Adbul from Idol American right now..... LOL!!! very funny!!!! 🙂

September 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I don't watch the America Idol; I am to busy become my own idol.

September 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The NRSC won't fund O'Donnell.

September 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Dion, A lot of voters took exception to the assumption the a Democrat deserved 'Teddy Kennedy's seat' no matter what. Brown got lots of traction when he said it was 'the people's seat'.

September 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Janis Hewitt

I think the government of Chile has been doing a wonderful job taking care of their own. I'm very impressed with the care and concern they have for their citizens. I have a lot of positive hopes for those miners now.

September 14, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  27. Sue R. Canton MI.

Jennifer Lopez will be the new judge on American Idol. Congrats to her,,But Idol won't be the same without Simon C. and yes Anderson most who watch American Idol do miss Paula A. It just won't be the same.

September 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  28. DENA Richmond, VA

Pushing for #Team Rangel!!!!!
    and as far as #Paladino calling for #eminent domain on the Mosque site that's a bad idea now I'm hoping his gains turns around to losses!!!

#Team Rangel hang in there!!

September 14, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Evelyn Severe

A public with many voices have access to a better and wider democracy. Let the tea flow, Bailees never shared their champagne!

September 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    "The Tea Party are fiscal conservatives."

I can see some of them like that...ones that are more of the centrists, however, what is Palin doing there? I think she is on the "social" side of things.

September 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Emily and Jo Ann, Brown is moderate, but in MA that's actually rare where the state has been controlled by liberals for decades. It was in effect the people say enough is enough. I think that can happen with some of these Tea Party candidates if they stick to a fiscally conservative message.

September 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!! 90 emails complain against PGandE.... I knew that they had missed their warning, what they were thinking?????? blame on Gas company!!!!

September 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Celebrities are disgustingly overpaid. No celebrity it worth that kind of money.

September 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

So sad to hear about the San Bruno gas explosion. It's scary to think this could happen in any one of our neighborhoods. My heart goes out to these families.

September 14, 2010 at 10:49 pm |