AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
September 9th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Quran-Burning Off or On?

The Rev. Terry Jones says he's 'rethinking' the canceled Quran burning
The Rev. Terry Jones says he's 'rethinking' the canceled Quran burning

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

There are several new twists and turns in the Quran-burning planned for Saturday - on the 9th anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks. The twists and turns involve outspoken Pastor Terry Jones, Pres. Obama, the imam of the Islamic center and mosque planned for near ground zero and even Donald Trump.

In a news conference this afternoon, Jones, leader of the Gainesville, Florida-based Dove World Outreach Center, said they were canceling the Quran burning. Instead, he said he was going to New York to meet with the imam of the planned Islamic center and mosque two blocks north of the former World Trade Center.

"I will be flying up there on Saturday to meet with the imam at the ground zero mosque,” said Jones. “He has agreed to move the location.”

But when CNN and other news organizations checked with the New York imam and his office they said that was not true.

Jones then held a second news conference claiming his plan came about because a Florida Muslim leader gave him his word.

"They have agreed to move the ground zero mosque. That is the world that I have. I verified that three or four times with witnesses. I trust the man that told me that. I believe that he is a man of his integrity. A man of his word. I do not believe that he lied to me," said Jones.

That man Jones made reference to is Imam Muhammad Musri of the Islamic Society of Central Florida, who was at Jones’ first news conference. Mursi told us, "There is no deal. We are not bartering. We are trying, I'm trying, to resolve two delicate situations that have security ramifications around the world."

In the last hour, we heard again from Pastor Terry Jones. "We assumed what the imam said was true. Now, we're in a state of limbo and we have to re-think our position. We are re-thinking our position. We are reconsidering, but we'd like to think what the imam said was true. We're a little back to square one. We hope this thing works out."

All this came after Jones' got a visit from the FBI and a phone call from Defense Secretary Robert Gates urging him to cancel the Quran burning.

Also today, Pres. Obama criticized Jones' planned Quran-burning, which military leaders say will put U.S. troops in danger in Afghanistan.

"If he's listening, I just hope he understands that what he's proposing to do is completely contrary to our values as Americans," Mr. Obama said in an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Meanwhile, Donald Trump has a connection to this story. We'll tell you all about that tonight on the program.

We'll also bring you a new report we like to call "Dispatches from Planet Politics." You don't want to miss the bizarre speech from Phil Davison, who was seeking the Republican nomination for Treasurer of Stark County, Ohio "The public needs to hear this message," shouted Davison. This guy also wants you to know he has a master's in communication. Hmmm. We'll let you be the judge.

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10 p.m. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Kimberly

I look at this story and only have questions for Rev. Jones. I suggest that he look at Matthew 5:44 "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you ..." I don't think it is his place at all to judge, and even think of doing such an act.

September 10, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  2. Andrea

This is all getting a bit silly. I am an American living in Britain. I have everyday stress and concerns at the State of affairs and I shouldn't. It disgusts me that I have to have conversations with my teenagers about what is going on and how it affects them daily. I would like everyone to know, and and ask why it is OK for British school kids, who attend Catholic schools over here, to continuously take the mickey out of my kids for being American, but yet they yearn to live in America because it's so great. And, why it's OK for Islamic extremists to go into London and burn the American flag and wear plackards to say Kill all Americans, Christians and Infadels. This Preacher has every right to do what he wants. But it shouldn't have been made out to be this big news story that it is. He has freedom of speech. He isn't hurting anyone. But, these extremists don't have any respect for anyone, or their religion. They aren't just building a Mosque in New York. They want an Islamic Centre. To say that they want this Centre to be a place of gathering for all religions is a farce. I have friends that practice the Muslim religion. They are lovely people. But I think the utter arrogance of these Islamic leaders wanting to build their Centre at this particular site, without any consideration for this Country and the people touched by the 9/11 Event, speaks VOLUMES. This is what we deal with over in the UK. They have more rights and are arrogant. I believe there is a difference between Muslim and Islam. I have observed and seen quite a bit in the past years of being here.

September 10, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  3. billferr

If this Pastor gets them to move the 911 Mosque, then I would call him an American Hero.
    He's fighting Fire with Fire, the only thing those Bastards understand
    I wish our Government can learn something from him

September 10, 2010 at 7:40 am |
  4. Sarah, United Arab Emirates

I can not believe how selfish this "Pastor" is. Not only is he making himself look bad, but he is making millions of Christians and Americans around the world look bad. Now the Muslim community will assume all Christians "hate" Islam, just like some of the American population assumed all people practicing Islam were radicals. It is truly dissapointing to hear someone who is meant to be preaching about the glory of God, preach about hatred and religious intolerance.

September 10, 2010 at 6:47 am |
  5. Mary

In 2001 Muslims dynamited the 2000 year old Buddha statues of Bamiyan in Afghanistan and destroyed almost everything in the National Museum in Kabul that stemmed from the country's Buddhist days because the Koran said it was non-Islamic. For this act alone, their book should be burned.

September 10, 2010 at 6:02 am |
  6. Gordon Miller

This guy should be arrested or shot for terrorism, inciting a riot, or some such if he tries to burn anything. He's a complete narcissistic idiot.

September 10, 2010 at 5:31 am |
  7. Arman

i am a Muslim and that is not true in the Koran it does not say to hate on Christians or Jews but instead says that we should respect Christians and Jews and that Jesus and Moses are also god's prophets to and that we should show love and peace those terrorists there not Muslims there making a bad name for Muslim's.

September 10, 2010 at 4:31 am |
  8. Kim

Christian extremism = burning the Quran, Muslim extremism = blowing yourself up and taking as many innocent people with you.

September 10, 2010 at 3:47 am |
  9. Canadian Perspective

Is the world going crazy?

Remember that Canadians died in the 9/11 terrorist attacks like so many others from around the world that day.
    Building a mosque at ground zero is a slap in the face to all those who died that day and is hard to believe their final resting place will be desecrated by that which represents what killed them. The mosque should be built in a location more appropriate.
    Terry Jones is no different for wanting to burn the Quran. Making it a point to burn the Quran is an insult to the muslims just like building a mosque at ground zero is an insult to those that died on 9/11.

What ever is built at ground zero should represent the memory of those who died, not a religion.

Don't build the mosque at ground zero
    Don't burn the Quran
    =
    Common Sense and Peace

September 10, 2010 at 3:10 am |
  10. THart

This is a very radical decision made by this certain Pastor, Terry Jones. I was just watching Anderson Cooper and this story about Pastor Jones. He likes the attention of the U.S. top General in the war which he should had said nothing. He likes the President of the United States words as well, which also he should have said nothing on this matter. Hes feeding off the people!! This war will never end and now since Pastor Jones has revealed what would happen if "an individual offended someones belief" as he is trying, I feel it is going to happen more frequently and with no remorse. I do not stand or agree with Pastor Jones' actions nor do I agree with goverment involvement in this matter.... Let the Citizens speak for themselves!!

September 10, 2010 at 2:46 am |
  11. Nayeem, Kalamazoo, MI

If Pastor Jones returns to his plan of burning Quran again after changing his mind it will be really a sad decision.

September 10, 2010 at 2:07 am |
  12. Jessica

As a Muslim myself, what he does will not affect me or my faith in God. His actions say more about his own faith in God than it does about my Religion. I honestly feel sorry for him. Mr. Jones if you ever read this I want you to know that I forgive you.

September 10, 2010 at 2:05 am |
  13. Ahmed Anouar

This is a stupid behavior. If you love your country you should not do that. because burning the Quran give the terrorists the reason to hire more people. The quran does not have nothing to do with 9/11. Quran is against killing people. you can not judge the Quran without reading it.
    every body knows that the Oklahoma City bombing was a bomb attack by a terrorist who was Christian. Does that means that all Christians are terrorists? or the bible is a bad book? No that not true. all the holy books are good books and all terrorists are stupid people.

September 10, 2010 at 2:01 am |
  14. Dustin Speer

I have talked to many students about this issue in my school. All of the students i managed to talk to about this agreed with me on the subject. I say that I could speak for my student body; saying no to the Islamic center and not yes or no on the burning of their holy text.

September 10, 2010 at 1:48 am |
  15. Rob

Also Angela, I am sorry but that will NEVER work. You cannot bring together Christianity, Islam, or any of the other religions together. Not only is it against MY religion to even recognize that the others exist, but bringing all of them together is a sure way to fuel a fire that will be hard to contain.

Also, when you say "separate but equal" the first thing that comes to my mind is "my religion is sure as hell not equal to "their" religion," myn is the real one. And I know that muslims (or any other religion) are thinking the same thing.

So I know your intent is good, but its not realistic at all.

September 10, 2010 at 1:44 am |
  16. Dustin Speer

I'm a senior in Indiana. I respect people's religion. Its a disgrace to build a Islamic Center on ground zero. Considering that we have been fighting Islamic extremists for many years now. I don't have any religion. I'm all about peoples rights. They
    say death to America and they can burn our flag. So why is it such a big deal that this man wants to burn what they hold so close. Remember thousands of people died becuz of religion on that day. Now way that should be built. He has every right to burn the q.

September 10, 2010 at 1:39 am |
  17. Rob

All attention is being forced on the pastor, which is quite silly in my opinion. Everyone is calling this pastor an "extremist." I myself and christian and while I will admit that this man is taking this way too far, I do find it weird that everyone is focused on him, and not the bigger issue at hand-Building a Mosque at ground zero is literally a slap in the face to Americans and christians alike, I am almost certain that if it is built Islamic extremists will all be saying to themselves "Look at WE can do." I mean what will we say when our children ask us why there is a Mosque on the site of this tragedy? I guess we can just tell them that Americans are too concerned with their first amendment than doing whats right.

Don't let them build a mosque there please, I lost a family member there and I don't want the people who killed my father to pray 5 feet above his lost remains.

September 10, 2010 at 1:39 am |
  18. Marjorie Diebolt

This "pastor" has had his 15 min of fame and that is all he is doing. Looking for fame and you are all giving into his taunt. His "church" should be closed down if he can only teach the idea of condemnation of another religion without really understanding it. There is too much of that already. This person should never been given print or time on the air.

September 10, 2010 at 1:36 am |
  19. Kim

I just pray that most people will be able to separate the good religions being used from the evil men hiding behind them.

I am a Christian and my faith is not evil. This pastor is an evil man hiding behind a good faith. I also believe that the terrorists of 9-11 are evil men hiding behind a good faith.

This is the problem with most people who are so easily offended today. They place the blame on the innocent because of the horrible people that use it as a means to further their agendas. We need to open our eyes and learn to separate these things. They are not one and the same.

This is America. Are we still free?

September 10, 2010 at 1:34 am |
  20. Peter Marks

Terry Jones has managed to anger the U.S. government, the U.S. military and the Islamic community. The whole incident was blown out of perportion by the news media and the news media is to blame for this entire fiasco. Were the media to have not given any attention to Terry Jones and not write or speak of him or that he was going to burn books of the Quran there wouldn't be the problem there is now. I suggest the media stop saying or writing anything Terry Jones says and when his planned burning to take place on September 11, 2010 at 9:00am have the fire department standing by to turn on the hoses as soon as a fire is started. This will end it and Terry Jones can walk back into the hole from which he came and the Islamc community can go about their business to bring peace to the world rather than create division or conflict. Terry Jones is a sick depraved individual and he doesn't deserve to be given any attention by anyone. I wonder what his congregation of 50 think of him now.

September 10, 2010 at 1:34 am |
  21. John

Why are we all so scared of this religion? Burn our flag, no big deal. Burn an effigy of Pastor Jones(before the Quran burning)or the President, who cares. Burn a Bible, no big whoop. Burn the Quran, Look out World.

September 10, 2010 at 1:30 am |
  22. Sarah in Arkansas

My husband is active duty military and scheduled to deploy in December.
    If this guy goes through with the burning I fear for my husbands safety while he's deployed! This will only fuel the fire of hatred for America and the good we're trying to do!
    It's too late to get him out of the limelight, now we just have to wait and see what he will do....

September 10, 2010 at 1:23 am |