August 25th, 2010

Taxi driver stabbed after being asked 'Are you a Muslim?'

____________________________________________________________________

A man has been charged with a hate crime for allegedly repeatedly stabbing a New York City taxi driver after asking him if he is Muslim, authorities said.

Michael Enright, 21, of Brewster, New York, was arrested for assault, aggravated harassment, and criminal possession of a weapon following Tuesday evening’s attack, police said.

A police source said the suspect hailed the cab at East 24th Street and 2nd Avenue in Manhattan. The source said the crime apparently occurred while the cabbie drove the suspect about twenty blocks.

Enright allegedly said to the driver “are you a Muslim?” before stabbing him in the neck, face and arm, the source said.

The driver was able to stop the vehicle, lock the passenger inside the cab and call 911, the source said.

According to police, the cab driver was taken to Bellevue Hospital where he is listed in stable condition.

Update 4: 25 p.m.: New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg issued the following statement regarding the stabbing of the cab driver:

“I spoke today with the taxi driver who was stabbed last night in an attack that appears to have been motivated by anti-Muslim bias. I assured him that ethnic or religious bias has no place in our city, and to help show that, I invited him to City Hall to meet with me tomorrow, an invitation he accepted.

“This attack runs counter to everything that New Yorkers believe, no matter what God we may pray to. I want to thank the men and women of the NYPD for their quick response in apprehending the suspect who was arrested and charged with attempted murder as a hate crime. We will continue to do everything possible to crack down on any crime that targets someone because of who they are or what they believe.”

Follow the Falcon File on Twitter @FalconCNN

Filed under: Crime & Punishment • Gabe Falcon
  1. Janet

Ok, so this guy is no better than the muslims that beheaded Daniel Pearl or the Muslim who beheaded his wife in the hallway of where they worked, or the Muslim dad who killed his daughter in an "honor killing".
    This is the truth, are you going to tell me that I hate Muslims because I speak the truth?
    This guy is no better than any other anyone who tries kills another. No matter what race , color , religion or creed. Why? I don't buy the mental illness crap that everyone uses for everthing under the sun, if that's the case everyone is mentally ill. What do you think Jesus wanted/wants us to call on Him for, to keep committing evil, to continually ask Him to keep us on the right track.
    I believe this guy let his mind and heart think evil thoughts and that led him to what he did. He does not know the Lord Jesus.
    That all being said, we don't know the entire story , plus, the media is so stinking biased the don't tell us the facts, they tell us the parts they want us to know about and the things they want us to hear.

August 27, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Criminals are criminals and will hurt or kill when the opportunity is given to them. This was an opportunity to excuse this crime and is backed by others because he committed a crime against Muslims. Is this the sick society we've created?

August 26, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  3. Mariah

I am more surprised an incident like this did not happen sooner. People are afraid and under educated on other cultures. Fear breads hate and ignorance readily excepts that hate. I am more outraged at our media for spotlighting stories on Tiger Woods alleged affairs and ignoring stories like this. I really hope people start learning from events like this.

August 26, 2010 at 4:35 am |
  4. fred

Let's hear the other side of the story.

August 26, 2010 at 4:31 am |
  5. Nathan

totally saw this coming

August 25, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  6. Janet

Are you kidding me-you really believe Barack Obama is a Christian?
    If anything he is nothing but a bunch of pieces of diffrent faiths rolled into a big mess.

August 25, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  7. teresa, ohio

lets not make too much out of this... it was just one lone individual, probably on crack, who doesnt like muslims. The rest of us have no
    problem with them.

its the radical muslims causing the trouble.

I am so glad that the cab driver will be alright and that he was so
    quick thinking to save himself.

August 25, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  8. Linda Be

I am afraid that this is just the beginning; the American public has had too much crammed down it's throats; and, there will be a war of wars on the horizion!!!
    I hope the cab driver is recovering...

August 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  9. q

Linsdey Lohan is on the front page for the last few days/weeks but a story like this is not, especially given the light of all the islamaphobia? CNN you are losing my repect quickly.

August 25, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  10. Steve Charles

Michael Enright, just wasted his life and now he will forever a criminal because of his hate and ignorance. Ignorance should not be tolerated in any culture especially in this country. Mr. Enright needs to be made an example of by being prosecuted to the fullest extent on the law and his conviction need to be showcased on nationally so that we all can see the fate of hate and ignorance.
    And another thing if this is the route that American is going, then I refuse to hand over my homeland; this country to fools, ignorant bigots, and idiots. Michael Enright congrats you have become the poster child, for the new face of hate, ignorant fools, and bigots across the globe. SMILE!

August 25, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
  11. Jeanette

All of this hate comes from the fact that the Muslims insist on bringing another mosque to the area where their radical religion killed our citizens. This is what the religion teaches them to do, it isn;t only the terrorists to blame. They teach all Muslims to hate Christians and kill anyone who is not Muslim.

August 25, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
  12. American

This should be on the Front page if CNN editors are willing to reduce the hate out there. Is CNN is becoming FOX?

August 25, 2010 at 2:22 pm |
  13. Taimur Ali

I wonder if this news will ever make it to headlines today.

August 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
  14. Sharon

Not a surprise. The ginning up of the hysterical Islamaphobia, encouraged in part by the media, including CNN, contributed to this.

Shame on CNN.

August 25, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
  15. t

Please put this article on your front page CNN. People need to see what hate mongering is causing

August 25, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  16. sam

This is just another one of those things that makes me embarrassed to be an american citizen.

August 25, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  17. GSW

Clearly Enright is a terrorist and the Muslim community shouldn't put up with it

August 25, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  18. Ronnie

This is what comes of all the I HATE MUSLIMS coming from the Tea Party!! Heaven spare us...I'm embarrassed as an American!

August 25, 2010 at 1:00 pm |
  19. Augsbee

Not surprising-lots of people's comments written on CNN have been disrespectful, rude, mocking, sarcastic about the Muslim religious belief that the Seed of Islam is passed down from a father to his son and the Muslim belief that religion controls their government, country and that you are born Muslim if your parent was born Muslim also thus Muslim's believe President Obama was born Muslim because of his father who was born Muslim into a Muslim family. Obama chose to be Christian.

August 25, 2010 at 12:44 pm |