August 12th, 2010

Updated: Rep. Gohmert on 'terror babies' conspiracy

Editor's Note: Here is the Washington Post article Rep. Gohmert references. Note there is NO reference to "Terror Babies"

Here is the clip where Anderson talks about the Washington Post article on AC360°

Filed under: 360° Radar • Anderson Cooper • Immigration
  1. Roger

That guy was a complete and utter joke. He came in yelling and didn't stop, couldn't answer a single question and downright made himself look like a complete fool. And he was a JUDGE??? You gotta be kidding me, how is he even a politician?

August 13, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  2. adtrain

I have been having nightmares about these terror babies coming to 'get' me.

August 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
  3. Grog in Ohio

Wow... The scary part isn't that we have another insane Republican from Texas, but that this guy was once a judge!! What kind of court did he run???

August 13, 2010 at 1:24 pm |
  4. Dana Peters

Scream and yell, scream and yell, scream and yell - with NO facts whatsoever to back fear statements up .... we're on to you now obstructionists.

August 13, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  5. Larry F

Mr. Gohmer(t) is a lunatic. Great job Anderson.

August 13, 2010 at 1:10 pm |
  6. Kim Pierce

Hey Anderson,
    Why in the world would you let Rep. GOhmert have so much air time
    spent yelling. He was unreal, I couldnt make heads or tails of anything he was trying to say. But people with conspiracy theories are usually hard to follow since they can never back it up with hard evidence. And Anderson, I think you as good as you have ever been, dont listen to him. You kept your cool, something I wasnt able to do just watching it on tv.
    Keep on Keeping em honest
    kim

August 13, 2010 at 12:36 pm |
  7. Lilibeth

Anderson, I saw the exchange between you and Mr. Gohmert last night, and I’m so proud of you! Thank you for calling him out! It’s one thing to show both sides of the story, but both sides have to be able to back up their claims. As he was yelling and ranting, I immediately called my husband, who was in the other room and said, “You have to see this!” The longer the interview went, the more Mr. Gohmert showed the outrageousness and falsity of his assertions. My husband was so impressed with you. Definitely one of your shining moments in television. Way to go! Have a good weekend.

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

August 13, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  8. elaine c., ambler, pa

HI Anderson,
    Ouch! You earned your pay grade last night.
    Elaine

August 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
  9. etchy

this guy is a total nutcase. way to go AC!

August 13, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  10. Rogue Crow

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Anderson for not soft-balling this guy and pointing out the absolutely idiocy/danger of his presentation on the floor. It's amazing he got elected. I weep for America if this is the caliber of Representative we are electing.

To your interview, very often when politicians spew blatantly false, misleading, or demagogic opinion, journalists let them get away with it. They are usually allowed to babble on, obfuscating the real information. By not giving up and insisting on evidence for his unfounded statements you provided a real example of how all television journalist should perform their duty.

August 13, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  11. Tim Tessman

This interview left me speechless. How can a former judge yell at a journalist for wanting evidence to support a story? When the Representative says, "You used to be better than this Anderson", is he saying that Anderson Cooper used report stories as fact based on what people told him on a plane? I don't get it.

August 13, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  12. Jeff

Seriously, who put this Gohmert lunatic into politics? He offers nothing, zero proof of his outrageous claims. This guy used to be a judge!?! That's terrifying. He appears to have zero interest in facts. People that manufacture fear like this have no place in any public office.
    Thank you for keeping, or trying to keep this imbecile honest.

August 13, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  13. Brett

If Ghomert is an example of the kind of people running the show down there, it's no wonder this world is doomed

August 13, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  14. Rafael Avila

Excellent job Anderson! keep them Honest!

August 13, 2010 at 11:17 am |
  15. blady

Anderson, this guy is a crazy idiot!

August 13, 2010 at 11:12 am |
  16. Cindy

I have to say that this interview was the freakin' funniest thing that I've seen on 360 in a while. Gohmert ranting and raving showed what a complete nut case he is! I was LMAO through out this whole ordeal! I loved when he told Anderson he used to be good and was better than that. That cracked me up more than anything!

Kudos to Cooper for keeping a straight face and not going off on the nut. Instead he let him bury his own self with his ridiculousness! That's our Cooper...calm, cool and collected...even in the face of nuttery! LOL

Cindy....Ga.

August 13, 2010 at 11:02 am |
    • Jean

Haha, shouldn't you be chagirng for that kind of knowledge?!

June 27, 2011 at 4:40 am |
  17. Eric

Evidence is key. Backup the story with hard evidence... Anytime a person gets that defensive about an issue and keeps on bringing up the same point. You know his story has got some issues.

August 13, 2010 at 10:56 am |
  18. Maria Boyd

I heard the interview yesterday and what I came to conclusion most of the old Senators needs to be removed and have youth ppl to represent now days citizens. Obviously this guy rules his life by telling stories and scaring citizens with false information and not facts. Not to mention that refuse to have a real conversation, if yelling is how Congress communicates...that is a scary thought.

August 13, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  19. Tim

Anderson, please keep up your stellar work! This week, you have been doing what journalists should be doing–not just reporting the news, but calling out liars for the lies they tell. Your poise last night as Gohmert loses his mind was impressive, and your control as he personally attacked you was commendable. Just had to write and say thank you for all the great work you do. Please keep trying to hold our elected officials–of all parties–accountable!

August 13, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  20. Sam D.

And people voted for this guy? I am glad he does not represent my district but he still embarrasses me as a Texan.

August 13, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  21. benson

what kind of evidence would you need Cooper? a terrorist attack? all this guy is saying is that since mexicans and chinese come over to have babies, jihadists could do it too, and our lawmakers have a responsibility to prevent ALL of these groups from doing this instead of doing nothing. If you are so interested in protecting this country you wouldn't be advocating our continuing non-action.

August 13, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  22. Roop GIll

I'm so sorry Anderson had to waste his time with this freakin' idiot. Kudos to Anderson for your professionalism! You gave him far more latitude to vomit his drivel than I ever would.

August 13, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  23. Charmaine

It is unbelievable that a congressman would rant and rave and have no discussion. How did he ever get elected? Kudos to Anderson for keeping his cool!

August 13, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  24. Tammi

I'm not sure why this Senator even bothered to come on the show. He didn't even answer one question and started just started out yelling. What a spectacle. AC did a great job.

August 13, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  25. Margie Mortensen

Anderson, you lost it last night. Both those first stories are overblown.
    Did not seem worthy of your newscast.

August 13, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  26. Michael Horswell

Excellent Anderson! Thanks for standing up for reasoned debate and facts-informed reporting. People...we have got to defeat these fear-mongering politicians. This is getting scary.

August 13, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  27. Crazy McNuttytown

and I thought I was crazy...

August 13, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  28. Alan

Thank you Anderson for always looking for what people like this guy don't care about: The truth.

August 13, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  29. Larry

Anderson, I agree with Gohmert. You should do your own research about the subject of "terror babies." You can contact me and I will supply you with a place to begin. Man use your head.

Larry
    Bolingbrook, IL

August 13, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  30. Nick

Thank you Anderson for not allowing idiots like Gohmert to spread their fear politics. Keep up the good work.

August 13, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  31. rkm63

Don't be so quick to dismiss the congressman's allegations! You have no proof Anderson that it's not happening.

August 13, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  32. J Fahey

Plz thank Anderson for keeping his cool tonight! The gentleman was greatly agitated and needs to present solid evidence.
    Ty Anderson! Keep following up on this for us!
    J Fahey
    Kauai

August 13, 2010 at 6:21 am |
  33. Conrad Yust

Anderson, I have watched your show with great interest for along time and I'm quite surprised that you went after Rep. Gohmert with such negativity. He's obviously right and correct in his thinking when it comes to anchor-babies that could be used as American citizens against us in the not to distant future.
    I'm a Viet Nam Veteran and I see this war we have going on in the east as nothing of more of the same insanity. Bring our children home, and close and protect our own borders as aggressively as we are doing so far away from reallity.

August 13, 2010 at 6:10 am |
  34. Robert

Anderson thank you for the work that you do just remember god is watching all.

August 13, 2010 at 5:55 am |
  35. Katrina

I am 18 years old and a loyal viewer of AC 360. I have been following this story for the past couple of days. Gohbert is rude, and he made a fool of himself by yelling non-sequiturs to Anderson's questions. Gohbert was a waste of air time. His yelling accomplished nothing and managed to insult Anderson for no reason. Anderson, you are a great reporter. Keep up the good work!

August 13, 2010 at 5:52 am |
  36. Dawn - Miami, FL

I watched your interview with Rep. Louie Gohmert with total amazement that such a ridiculous accusation could possibly be made. I admired your professionalism in dealing with him. I wish they would have cut the volume as he was yelling, that would have been extremely funny.

August 13, 2010 at 5:42 am |
  37. Gregory Gooden

I find it truly terrifying that lunatics like gohmert are actually part of my government. Was that guy for real???

August 13, 2010 at 5:23 am |
  38. Jarod Wince

Anderson i agree with you on the fact that the rep from texas has no proof but this is defanatly a threat to national security and the 14 amendment needs to be looked at

August 13, 2010 at 5:18 am |
  39. bad boy

This congressman has single handedly made himself look like a lunatic spewing more fear tactics

August 13, 2010 at 5:18 am |
  40. daniel

Aderson great job keeping Rep. Gohmert honest, he had the opportunity to present evidence, but instead when on talking nonsense....excellent job...

August 13, 2010 at 5:17 am |
  41. Brian Hewitt

Yeah, Anderson! Thanks for confronting these fear-mongers!

August 13, 2010 at 5:16 am |
  42. Bill

I doubt he has any evidence to support this claim. However I do believe we in the west are slowly being handed and unknowingly accepting a Trojan Horse.

Bill
    Canada

August 13, 2010 at 3:24 am |
  43. Canada

Hey Anderson, just saw the crazy rant of your Rep guest, I think freaking people out are tactics that administration has used for a very long time. They are probably going to use this as a way to stop Mexican parents from being able to stay in the US because they have a child that is an American citizen. i really do not think this has anything to do with Terrorism .

August 13, 2010 at 2:46 am |
  44. John

So if you've watched the recent movie Salt, you might be aware of this new "theory" that other countries are taking infant U.S. citizens and then years later after terrorist brainwashing planting them back into the United States... Although somewhat different, it's the same idea... I think some Texas Republicans took that movie way too seriously.

August 13, 2010 at 2:42 am |
  45. JR

This guy is nuts. All the right needs is more things to be crazy about. For all of you out there, I promise not all Texans are crazy. I myself am a Texan and I dont here any voices. Shame!!!

August 13, 2010 at 2:41 am |
  46. Jeff Hensel

Anderson did a terrific job of asking for evidence from Rep. Gohmert. Thank you for staying calm and tough Anderson.

August 13, 2010 at 2:41 am |
  47. George

How short the memories of the media. Why is this theory such a stretch? Have you forgotten this exact program carried out by the KGB and GRU during the "Cold War?" Maybe you have also failed to discover that according to at least one GRU defector, "The GRU is one of the primary instructors of terrorists worldwide." Look it up.

August 13, 2010 at 2:38 am |
    • Carley

Gosh, I wish I would have had that ifnormaiton earlier!

June 27, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  48. Tim McClanahan

I like your stories on anchor babies.But to tell the whole story.I thank you also need to report on the cost to the tax payer for the birth of all these babies.I would love to hear the yearly cost to the nation for all anchor babies.And the total yearly number of anchor babies in the nation.Thanks

August 13, 2010 at 2:36 am |
  49. Marcus

Anderson I like the way you handled that congressman!

August 13, 2010 at 2:28 am |
  50. David

I think this could absolutely be happening in the US. There are many Muslims in the US and there are many different sects of Islam. Hamaas has been declared a terrorist group and they are Muslims. I believe the Replublican gentleman made a very good point.

August 13, 2010 at 2:27 am |