August 12th, 2010

Updated: Rep. Gohmert on 'terror babies' conspiracy

Editor's Note: Here is the Washington Post article Rep. Gohmert references. Note there is NO reference to "Terror Babies"

Here is the clip where Anderson talks about the Washington Post article on AC360°

Filed under: 360° Radar • Anderson Cooper • Immigration
  1. Victoria Jenkins

Anderson,

I have never written in to commented on any television show before, but I just wanted to thank you for truly keeping them honest in regards to these scare stories about the so-called terror babies.
    Did the two Texas politicians whom you had on your guests over the past couple of days really believe that they could simply use your show as a forum to propogate these stories without any evidence? It is scary to think that these type of people hold public offices and yet become so inflamed when asked to produce legitimate evidence to substantiate their own stories. I appreciate you and your show for reporting the verified actual factsof not only this story, but all the others you cover.
    Anderson, you truly exemplify what a journalist should be. Please keep up the great work.

August 13, 2010 at 1:19 am |
  2. mariam

OMG! It was like watching a train wreck! Americans deserve better politics than fear tactics. The last administration exploited fear & thats what congressman Gohmet is attempting. Thank you Anderson for being diligent about the facts/proof.

August 13, 2010 at 1:19 am |
  3. okey

the Congress man, though he is a former judge is not intelligent. i am supprised that this type of human beings are the ones making law for the United States of America. This must be the reason why GOP votes no in every issue that is present by the Obama Administration.

August 13, 2010 at 1:18 am |
  4. ItAintEZ

LMAO!! This dude really can't be serious!! All AC asked for was the proof!! The PROOF!! Please provide the video link for this interview because he looks like a kid that has cookie crumbs all over his face, but "I didn't take any cookies".

August 13, 2010 at 1:18 am |
  5. Sebastian

Terror Babies he had said, and Cooper provided him the time to give facts, but all we got were stories and his imagination. Pretty pathetic broad accusation.

August 13, 2010 at 1:18 am |
  6. scott wilson

I'm watching ur show I don't understand why the rep of texas will not talk in a normal voice he a rep and he's showing his people how he controls his arguments by yelling at people and cutting them off

August 13, 2010 at 1:17 am |
  7. Chip Decker

Holy cow! How did this guy get elected? All he had to do was present some factual source, but instead, he shows himself to be paranoid. FACTS MAN! FACTS!

August 13, 2010 at 1:17 am |
  8. Kevin

Just another scare tactic by the Right. The saddest thing is that they will descend to any nefarious tactic to get what they want. Fear, hate, lies, etc.

August 13, 2010 at 1:17 am |
  9. ida marie banquerigo

pure ignorance. it worries me that congressmen like him make choices for the our country.

August 13, 2010 at 1:17 am |
  10. dfwmike

This bozo was a judge?!? Any sane judge would kick out any case without evidence

August 13, 2010 at 1:16 am |
  11. allen

Rep. Gohmert sounds so ignorant, when you have someone like that on your program it makes me feel like im getting dumber. You should have some kind of limit for people who do not know how to have a proper argument on CNN!

August 13, 2010 at 1:16 am |
  12. Mark

Anderson, you have the patience of a Saint.

August 13, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  13. Anthony

i think he should be put on the ethics court. he is stupid. anderson is the best on the news he tells it how it is. keep them honest anderson!!!

August 13, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  14. Frank

Thanks Anderson, for keeping them honest!

August 13, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  15. LC

AC,
    Whos side are you on btw??

August 13, 2010 at 1:14 am |
  16. Stacy

Can someone please shut Rep Gohmert up for more than 2 seconds? Wow. Poor Anderson he cannot get one word in. I cannot stand people like Rep Gohmert who don't allow people to ask questions and who become so incredibly defensive that it completely dismisses any and all credit they might have.

Keep it up Anderson. You were incredibly mature and patient with this nut case.

August 13, 2010 at 1:14 am |
  17. Alana

Anderson – Next time, tell Rep. Gohmert to SHUTUP!

August 13, 2010 at 1:13 am |
  18. dearlifedeidrehere

This is absolutely ridiculous. I cannot believe that he is sitting here yelling at Anderson, oh dear please get him off this show. Anderson, you are far too polite.

August 13, 2010 at 1:13 am |
  19. K. Sharp

I cant believe he is representing my state ......

August 13, 2010 at 1:13 am |
  20. jethro

Rep. Gohmert represent all that is incorrect with the radical conspiracy theory right-wing . I can not believe that Texas has such " the sky is falling " politicians representing the Lone Star State.

August 13, 2010 at 1:12 am |
  21. JoeBoy1947

Rep.Gohmert is a certifiable luniatic. I wonder how many people beyond him, such as Riddle and Bachmann are in our Congress today. I think they should form a "Crazies Caucus"

August 13, 2010 at 1:12 am |
  22. Orianne Reich

OMG, these people and their theories on Terrorist Babies are mentally ill...crazy!

I am compelled to send my opinion in.

Thanks, O Reich

August 13, 2010 at 1:12 am |
  23. Gabrien Gregory

A senator can make his point without yelling and complaining. How did they not have a plan to take down the world trade centers?

August 13, 2010 at 1:11 am |
  24. Sandy Shriner

Geeze what a rant! Mr. Gohmert was obivioulsy scared to answer the question because he obviously had no proof. Your a stronger person than I Coop, I would have told him to shut his pie hole, and navigate away from "fixed news" as he might actually learn something learn something new.

People who scream and yell like that to avoid the facts drive me nuts!

Way to hold your own Coop! Despite his comments, you are the most balanced , fair-minded reporter on the television!

Sandy

August 13, 2010 at 1:11 am |
  25. SAR

I am ashamed that this man is representing me in Congress. He does not know how to debate or have a rational conversation. He just sat there and yelled when he was challenged and knew he had nothing to stand on.

August 13, 2010 at 12:35 am |
  26. Andy Griffin

Thanks Anderson for this reporting. Do these crazy republicans really hear themselves or believe in such absurd things? May be they have seen Tom Cruise's Minority Report too many times and acting based on crimes that is yet to happen. Gees!

August 13, 2010 at 12:18 am |
  27. Sam

Stay strong AC. I'm from Texas and that Rep. you had on makes us look sooo bad. I love your show and your professionalism.

August 13, 2010 at 12:15 am |
  28. Werner Rast

Great interview AC, sometimes all you have to do is give someone a little rope and they'll hang themselves. Of course they'll be some people who saw this interview and think Gohmert is spot on.

Pretty obvious this guy is using distraction, and pushing fear instead of help solving America's problems. I remember the line used in the 2004 Presidental election where some people used the scary line "if Kerry gets elected the country will go to hell." By 2008 they were 1/2 right. Can't see Gohmert reaching across the aisle to help solve problems.

August 13, 2010 at 12:14 am |
  29. Janine from PA

I think people need to keep repeating this claim over and over until it hits them and they fall over laughing at the sheer stupidity of this.
    I'm sure they are recruiting young people now to kill us and are not ging to wait 20 years to do it. And many young people now are feeling that we are attacking Islam and that can turn a young person into a terrorist. We need to seperate Islam from the murderers that use this religion to justify their sick ideas.

August 13, 2010 at 12:12 am |
  30. Ron

I live in Philadelphia, where my daughter works in a hospital maternity ward. She has been telling me for the past two years that many women from the Middle East, particularly Pakistan, have been coming into the emergency room during labor. They and their newborns get FREE medical care. Mom then returns back to her native country with her AMERICAN baby. When that baby becomes and adult, he or she can easily return to the US to live – and die – as they wish!

I believe the Texas Congressman!

August 13, 2010 at 12:06 am |
  31. Ginger

Poor Anderson...Thursday night seemed to be "everone is mad night". Too bad they didn't let Anderson talk..his points were more valid on every issue. Thanks for 360..It's the only news show I watch.

August 13, 2010 at 12:03 am |
  32. Alfonso Renteria

Extremely entertaining exchange! AC was outstanding and calling out this blowhard was long overdue. It's difficult to imagine that this Congressman was a Judge and I hate to think of those minority defendants who may have been judged by him in a court of law. Please invite him back on AC360! I loved it!

August 13, 2010 at 12:02 am |
  33. Kathy Winterle

Oh my goodness I just finished watching this segment on TV. Anderson I can't believe you held it together so well. You are the Man AC! It was painful to watch but I couldn't stop!
    That congressman is making himself look like a jack***!
    Maybe while he is lying in bed tonight mulling it over he will realize it and call you apologize. I would really like to see an intelligent conversation on this subject of terrorist babies to see if there really is anything to all of it.
    And no congressman I don't think the terrorists are that smart!

August 13, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  34. Chris

Thanks for asking for proof Anderson, CNN had a habit of letting republican politicians and spokespeople spout fraudulent statistics and information without asking for verification (most notably during the Bush years) .

August 13, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  35. Nancy

Thanks Cooper,
    Gohmert is so scary,, thanks for calling this lying corrupt nut jobs out on his lies,,, I so enjoy seeing a corporate media news show take these crazy nuts on,, most of the time they get away with their crazy lies,,,,, not tonight,, I find you so refreshing in what I call the "corrupt corporate money media",, Thank you again,,, America needs you!
    Keep them honest in these very scary times.

August 13, 2010 at 12:00 am |
  36. Yilan Wang

Anderson,
    Actually, the term of 'Terror babies' is physically right. I realized I should mention this to you after I saw your conversation with Gohmert tonight. You looked like different compare with your usual manner.

August 13, 2010 at 12:00 am |
  37. Annie Kate

Well, that was a rant and a half – not a shred of evidence as you pointed out but mostly the Congressman was mad because you and Jon Stewart have been reporting on his stance on this story to his detriment. Kicked dogs yelp and he yelped continuously during this "interview". I'd like to see some evidence too but if something hasn't happened yet (the Rep. said it would come to fruition in 15 to 20 years) how do you have evidence? He's guessing or using a crystal ball and neither constitutes proof.

August 13, 2010 at 12:00 am |
  38. Paul

Rep. Gohmert is a perfect example of the idiots we have representing us in Washington. How can we expect any of these people to accomplish anything meaningful. Yes, let's focus on 'terror babies' while we watch our country go down the tube.

August 12, 2010 at 11:59 pm |
  39. Rick

How can Texas elect people like this? This man is a fearmongering fool.

August 12, 2010 at 11:57 pm |
  40. Zulfar

Anderson, you did an awesome job in your reporting. I wanted to congratulate you on your work. This fear probing for no absolute reason has been going on for 2 presidential terms and its creating alarming islamaphobia in the public!

August 12, 2010 at 11:57 pm |
  41. Jean

It appears to be the "Evening of the Rant" for you Anderson. The Terror Baby yellfest would have been hilarious if this constant barrage of unsubstantiated fear mongering would be discounted as ridiculous and quickly forgotten. Tragically however, our legislators have joined the ranks of the bullying, bellowing lunatic fringe and have manged to insinuate themselves and their indiotic theories into mainstream media, thus forcing you and your collegues into giving them airtime. My question for Mr. Gohmert is: Why would terrorisits who've proven that they can operate with impunity in real time have to result to a 20-30 year bomber baby plan? I would also ask that he back off the caffeine prior to his next ac360 visit!
    Thanks Anderson...you're the pips!
    Jean Brown
    Pensacola, Florida

August 12, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  42. Lee

Wow! Finally someone stands firm and demands the evidence when scare tactics are deployed by . Anderson......great job! Pity the press did not do what you did tonight in those days leading up to the war with Iraq. Just think of the lives we could have saved had someone demanded the evidence of WMD etc. Thank God for CNN and Anderson Cooper!

August 12, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  43. websta

terror babies. wow no such thing. He appears to be high and on seroquel and morphine. who voted this guy is in office. he wont get re-elected.

August 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  44. Chuck Robertson

Hi AC hey yesterday I was saying to be a little nicer, but well okay you should have ripped that guy a new butt. Great Job on keeping your cool on him.

I was thinking that anyone else would have gone (Flight Attendant) ha-ha.

Thanks again and always for great reporting.

Chuck Robertson
    Fallon, NV

August 12, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  45. Doug'r

I always love watching Anderson. He's so intelligent, calm and collected. I was so pleased to see him calmly try and reason with Rep. Gohmert Rep. Gohmert was yelling and wouldn't listen to Anderson. Anderson kept his cool, never raised his voice and controlled the dialog. Anderson is just plain AWESOME! I wish that there were more peole like AC!

August 12, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  46. stella

If you say it louder, does that make it more convincing?
    Thank You showing us what crazy looks like.

August 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  47. Heather

I know this goes on first hand, I work on a labor & delivery unit in suburban Cleveland. Women come over on planes from the Middle East 8 months pregnant, deliver their babies then fly home as soon as they receive the birth certificates. We know this because they tell us so. One woman actually said her intent here was to give her baby the best birthday present ever American citizenship. You have to wonder what her intent is. She is not here to make a better life for herself and her new child, because her goal is to get back to her country as soon as possible.

August 12, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  48. Greg

they learned to take over and fly commercial airlines into two of the tallest and biggest buildings in th US and bring them to the ground. I'm sure they will NEVER figure out how to utilize open borders... good grief.

August 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  49. Cara West

How bizarre this was to see.

August 12, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  50. luke

Hey if it was 1999 and I said someone could hijack a plane, or several planes simoultaneously, and fly them into building(s), they have said they would destroy, Anderson would ask me "where's the proof?"

August 12, 2010 at 11:41 pm |