August 12th, 2010

Video: Are Muslims under attack in America?

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Islam
  1. Nick

I think what the Reverand was trying to say, while Anderson was obnoxiously interrupting him was that yes there are peaceful muslims, but Islam as an ideology and belief system is not peaceful. Look at any country where shariah law is implemented and see if there is religious freedom or for that matter peace.

August 12, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  2. Ahmed

Muslims have got accustomed to the hardships since 9/11 and have learned to live with many hardships they face. as a muslim you are subject to things that a non-muslim is not. Any Muslim will tell you this. Muslims pay taxes and contribute to the US economy too.

it's people like the Reverend that do not want peace and harmony amongst all faiths. they want to deamonize and instill fear against the Muslim world. I don't think Jesus (Peace be upon him) will approve of the Reverend. it is so preposterous that all of this fear tactics, hatred and bashing coinside with the Muslim Holy month of Ramadhan.

Don't we have enough problems in the country that need the attention of elected officials such as Debby Riddle and that chap Germet in congress?

August 12, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  3. Catherine

I was shocked at the comments made by the Reverend. Perhaps AC 360 needs to do a program where this man spends a significant amount of time with the Islamic leaders in his community. Maybe if he walked in the shoes of his Islamic neighbours, he might not be quite so willing to wage a war against an entire religion, and would instead use his gifts and resources to support his community in a more constructive manner.

August 12, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  4. Praful

Did you know that non-muslims going to Saudi Arabia cannot take their Bible, Gita or any other religious books with them? If anyone talks about Islam then muslims make lot of noise. And yet nobody likes to challenge them.

Our politicians are bending over backwards to accomodate Islam? I wonder why? Is it for their oil?

You being one of the very highly respectd news caster should really look into this and bring it to light.

A good human

August 12, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  5. Sam Z

My comment following Rev. Benet coming on your show is while I totally respect his position, ignorance has become king. Rev. Benet thinks that what is wrong with Muslims, is that they have pledged their allegiance to "Allah" He actually went on national television as a reverend and said that, not knowing that Allah is an Arabic word which simply means GOD. Arabic Christians, worship Allah, and if you look in their Arabic Bible, it will use that same word. So in essence, Rev. Benet is upset with Muslims, b/c they have embraced monotheism, and worship GOD. We now live in a Fox news culture where ignorance is king, and fact checking is for the "unpatriotic." Thank you for at least having both sides of this debate accurately reflected, Rev Benet’s ignorance about the basic’s, as well as religious history while unbearable, seems to be the new standard.

August 12, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
  6. A citizen

I can't believe that you allowed a preacher to say the things he did about an entire faith. It smacks of hate incitement. Anderson Cooper you should be ashamed of yourself in engaging with someone who says such awful things. If someone from the Jewish, Muslim or Buddhist had said the things about Christian, they would have been branded a terrorist. Comm'n Anderson, Americans are more tolerant and kinder towards all people, regardless of their faith.....stop pandering towards intolerant nincampoops!!

August 12, 2010 at 2:04 pm |
  7. Iris Rose

How is this NOT about freedom of religion? Are we going to stop building christian churches in Oklahoma City because the bomber was a christian? I am so sick of the hypocrisy, self-righteousness and ignorance of people who oppose building a place of worship because they don't share the same belief.

Anderson, where do you find these people? First the deranged Riddle-woman and now this clown?

I would be ashamed to be associated with any party or group that these 2 are affiliated with.

August 12, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  8. Dick Paterson

This man with the bible is sure wearing his tie too tight. He is the perfect example of stupidly. He is the reason why religions are so screwed up, always by pointing the finger. He fails to realize he has three other fingers pointing back.
    I was raised in catholicism and at the age of 12 I realized how wrong these cults are. I’m 59 years old now and have been a free man I believe that all of this god crap is totally BS.
    It is created by man because of their superstitions, god never was nor will he ever be.
    As far as the muslim building their place of worship near ground zero so be it. Y’all need to remember.
    The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law "respecting an establishment of religion", impeding the free exercise of religion, infringing on the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

Personally speaking I believe religion is the route cause of many wars and deaths for centuries. As long as no one comes knocking on my door. If so then they have to deal with my wrath!

Dick (Austin TX)

August 12, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  9. Boomer in Mo

I found the interview with whoever that preacher was frightening. Not only is he a dunce when it comes to even recent history, he appears to be a fascist and not know it. He does not even know that not all forms of Christianity believe Jesus is God. Many believe he is the son of God, not God himself. I have the misfortune to work with someone as sanctimonious as he is. As the religious right takes more and more control of the GOP, the U.S. is in more and more danger of becoming a theocracy with everyone forced to be Christian, and only one "brand" of Christianity at that. I hear New Zealand is a nice place to live.

August 12, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  10. Mark Fey

We must strive for the time when INTOLERANCE is seen by all to be unAmerican. This was one of the scariest "debates" I have seen in a long time. Hate and Fear that lead to intolerance are an affront to humanity, and this is a particularly ugly face of that hate and fear.

August 12, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  11. CatholicGirl

I am so angry about last night's piece "Are Muslims under attack in America?" and I do not like that Pastor Flip Benham is given a world platform to spread messages of hate and mis-represent Christ and the United States; as well as talk about Islam like he is an expert. I have heard the term bible-thumper but have never actaully seen someone thump a bible!! And Anderson, I really wish you challenged him more on his blanket statement about Muslims not being good citizens.

August 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
  12. Liz

Talking Points Memo has a great article today about Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf –currently known for his work for building this Mosque/multicultural center. He has been called a "radical" by those opposed to this center and under attack.

What is revealing in this article, is that Mr. Rauf has been working with not only the current President/administration to promote peace but also with the previous President George Bush doing the same exact thing. Back in 2006/2007. This man is not a terrorist and this mosque is nothing more than a cultural center open to all. Get over it, and start building a better future.

August 12, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
  13. Dr. Gregory Thompson

It was apparent that Anderson and his guest at the table were ignorant about the history of Islam and the Koran*** not only is Islam a lie from the pit of hell like Flip Benham said, they are murderers, liars, and thugs because of what the Koran teaches. To read the Koran and the Muslems to believe in it is cause for alarm in America. The Koran is changed at every moment to fit the needs of the moment and to bring everyone into submission, convert, submit, or die. Thank you Flip for taking a stand to expose the lies of Islam. May Jesus continue to guide all of your steps.

August 12, 2010 at 11:47 am |
  14. human

I'm astounded that the bible thumping guys argument is that because
    they " don't believe that Christ is the son of god " ... They aren't Christian ! Of course that don't believe what you do ! I'm an athiest. I don't believe any religion but he makes no sense at all . I believe that we need Freedom from Religion .

August 12, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  15. Augsbee

This is not about freedom of religion, this is about all of us feeling a slap across the face by building a mosque near Ground Zero, the place were 100's of people (American, Non American) were murdered. This is about the pain we all feel and building this mosque is not helping the pain, it is aggrevating the pain. This is about a people who are telling us that they are insensitive to our pain and what they want they will get regardless. This is not an action that says we want to be part of the community, we stand with you and feel your pain, we are American, we are human.

August 12, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  16. Kevin

I had the misfortune to watch last night's travesty of a discussion. The (alleged) Man of God showed absolutely no understanding of the teachings of Christ and even less of the recent "history" of terrorism.

I would have like to see him try answer the question that should have put to him, which was
    When did the members of the IRA and UDF (Northern Ireland); ETA (Spain); Red Army Faction (Italy); Baader-Mienhoff (Germany); among others, convert to Islam?

August 12, 2010 at 11:04 am |
  17. Julian

I can't believe the nerve of some people. Blaming 9/11 on a whole faith. Love thy nieghbor. Let them build thier Mosques in piece.

August 12, 2010 at 10:44 am |